• Xenotar 2.8

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • Planar 2.8

Votes: 114 54.0%
  • Tessar 3.5

Votes: 38 18.0%

• Total voters
Ray,

I had a Linhof select 100/2.8 Planar that I bought as a gamble along with a Linhof Tech IV (Baby Linhof). It was a good deal with mucho accesssories, but the seller was up front about a lens separation.

Overall this kit was a good price even with a dead lens, so I bought it. I knew that maybe/perhaps the lens separation could be repaired by John at Focal Point.

It was explained to me by John that heat is involved with separating the lenses for regluing and because of differences in coefficients of expansions that some lenses shatter, and if this happened not only would the lens be unrepairable, but also I would still be on the hook for the $250.00 repair.

Some of my friends said to just live with the separation and they knew of people who had bad outcomes (shattered glass and still the bill). So I took the chance anyways. I'm glad I took the risk, because now I have a perfect lens.

Unfortunately John retired and this service is no longer available. Oh-well.

In a ways though I kinda won the lottery. The 100/2.8 Planar is a great lens. Finding one in perfect condition is not so easy.

Cal

Glad you got it fixed Cal. Sounds like wonderful glass.

Ray,

I got lucky. This does not happen to everybody. Also every camera is different. In my worse case the body and accessories were worth the $800.00 I spent.

That 100/2.8 Planar is a crazy expensive lens when in perfect condition. I basically only paid $250.00 for it. The prices I've seen for lenses without defects is north of $2K. Also not many available.

Know that I owned a Tele Rollieflex also. It was a nice kit: a 3.5 FWhiteface with a Tele Rollieflex; fit nice in a Domke bookbag. The Tele Rolliflexes are known to have lens separation issues. My Tele Rolliflex was perfect, no lens separation.

Cal

Back to the original poster, even though this is a rally old post: Did you know that Diane Arbus carried around 3 loaded Rollie's in a knapsack around NYC to go shooting.

The idea was to grab another camera instead of missing shots reloading.

Cal

Back