Votes: 114 54.0%
  • Tessar 3.5

Votes: 38 18.0%

• Total voters
The poll is currently at this:

Xenotar 2.8 50 27.03%
Planar 2.8 102 55.14%
Tessar 3.5 33 17.84%

The Xenotar myth did not hold up well. Planar roooolze.

The Marco Cavina article about the Rolleiflex and various lenses support the concept that the planar is the better lens... so there's that.

The Planar f/3.5 is the only lens that would persuade me to go near a Rollei TLR: I just can't get on with the things. But the f/3.5...

Yes, I know it's just me. Was the f/3.5 Planar ever made for mounting on Linhofs? I had a couple of 100/2.8 Planars, one stunning, the other mediocre.

Cheers,

R.

This is a thread with useful information on the Rolleiflex TLR camera.

Let's revive it?

Thoughts over which 2.8 lens is better or if I shouldn't over look the 3.5?

F,

Consider how the Planar gets the nod for "perceived" sharpness, but understand that IMHO this is most likely due to the lens having more contrast, as more contrasty images invoke a perceived sharpness.

I would argue that the Planar is not sharper, just more contrasty.

I also think the Zeiss lenses might be more prone to separations.

Anyways this is coming from a guy who loves his 3.5F Whiteface with Xenotar. My Xenotar is a later version with one less element. Is your Xenotar a later version like mine?

These old Rollie's are single coated. Consider keeping a hood, a hood also protects the taking lens.

Cal

Hi Cal,
I have a Xenotar model that needs a CLA. I cannot move the aperture ring. I tried pushing down both levers, and it barely moves. Is it worth the cost?

Hi Cal,
I have a Xenotar model that needs a CLA. I cannot move the aperture ring. I tried pushing down both levers, and it barely moves. Is it worth the cost?

Raid,

I had Harry Fleenor from Manhattan Beach California service my 3.5F.

I had purchased mine from Adorama for $1K. When I took it home and loaded it with film it repeatedly jammed. I pretty much could not finish not one roll of film.

I was considering returning the camera, but I discovered that lucky me I had the rare, collectable, WhiteFace version that somehow Adorama had mispriced. It was a no brainer to get it repaired.

So the pricing goes back over a decade, but I paid to get the film advance overhauled, as well as the shutter/focus, but I also paid for a Maxwell screen upgrade. Overall it set me back about almost $700.00, but I got back a fresh camera.

Harry I would consider the best if not one of the best. Took a long time, I forget 8-12 weeks he stated, but to his credit as promised as the due date he contacted me for payment right on schedule.

The shutter now a decade later is still so silent that I have to advance the film to know that I took a shot.

Rollie's are worse than Leicas as far as being like watches that need to be used. Shelf Queens gum up badly.

Anyways a lot depends if you love the camera enough to use it regularly. Rollie's require regular use to stay in tune.

Cal

Thanks, Cal. OK, I ned to more frequently use my Leica and Rollelflex cameras then.

Raid,

Moral of the story is not to have Shelf Queens.

Off-Topic: I bought my "Cheap Rolex" stainless steel Submariner with "No-Date" in 2004 taking advantage of a special promotion of Zero-APR for two years. This watch kinda was sold to me by mistake because this promo offer was suppose to exclude Rolex.

A manager came out to remedy the mistake with the salesman who made the error trailing behind. The manager apologized for the simple mistake, but then opened the door by saying, "But if you really like the watch we could make an exception," that is when I said, "I'll take it."

Kinda funny is the dynamic was that the manager did not really want to sell me my Rolex, and he thought I would be polite and choose another watch, but in a ways I kinda mugged him in his own store. I offer no appologies for not being polite and being a thug. LOL.

So this Rolex ran non stop for 15 years. Last year it started stopping, but at around 13 years it lost about 2 minutes a month where I would have to reset the time to Time.gov. Had it serviced with instructions not to have the dents and scratches polished out.

I said, "If I want a new watch I would buy one." Collectors perfer the watch to be original, and there are stories where watches get polished so much that it changes and smooths out the lines of the original design.

BTW I have the older simple face that is more desirable to collectors over the newer No-Dates.

So the lesson learned here is that mechanical devices are best to be used continually, especially Leica's and Rollie's.

Cal

What you are really saying here, Cal, is that I need to sell many of my cameras since I can't use them all frequently. Your advise is logical and it makes sense. Will I follow it? maybe no because I like old things.

My tlrs..a bunch of them...from Yashica to Rollie..are all pretty much shelf queens for years now..
And never gummed up..
I consider myself lucky in that regard..
Roger Hicks hated tlrs..but he did say..they are cameras that you just take them out of the closet every few years or so..and they just work..
I have found that to be true..in my case..

Rolex needs to be serviced when it acts up..every 10 to 15 years or so..some go for 30+..
But..

Wise to keep the luv bumps in that Rolex..its only factory once..nice to have those sharp edges!
I bought 2 Rolex recently..when I started wearing watches again after many decades of a naked wrist..
Figured I would treat myself..
I go for the cheaper ones..in the smaller sizes at a discount..
These have worked out great for me.
Subs are unobtainium now..
I got the YM and OP in 34/35mm sizes..
Beautiful watches.

My TLR cameras work well after years of no use. The Xenotar model was bought with needing a CLA. Itw as cheap.

What you are really saying here, Cal, is that I need to sell many of my cameras since I can't use them all frequently. Your advise is logical and it makes sense. Will I follow it? maybe no because I like old things.

Raid,

I have the same problem. Trying to avoid future seller's remorse.

Cal

Rolex needs to be serviced when it acts up..every 10 to 15 years or so..some go for 30+..
But..

Emile,

It is suggested that a Rolex should get serviced around every 5-7 years. Wow 30 years is a long time.

I bought a Panerai GMT 8-day. It is a massive watch. President Bill Clinton wore one while President.

I use to kid around and say. "If a Panerai GMT 8-day it is good enough for President Bill Clinton then it is good enough for me.

My gal argued, "It's the other way around, you are the better man."

I think one of the reasons why my Rolex ran good for 15 years is because when I wore my Panerai I put the Submariner on a watch winder so it never wound down or stopped.

Cal

Can someone help?

I'm eyeing a 'Flex 3.5 Planar E2 in good condition for <$700; everything operates fine except however, there is small lens separation on the edge which is being disclosed and shown. The seller provided B&W pictures that are stunning and show no ill affects. The camera is priced accordingly.

Would this be a risky buy?

Do you mean there is separation in the taking lens or the viewing lens?
If it is not too bad, and if your budget is at $700, I would go with it and use this camera each day.

Yes sorry Raid - taking lens.

I also already have a 'Cord VB Type 2 w/3.5 Xenar. But never owned a 'Flex.

Here is the add on Etsy...

Back