Leica LTM Who has the oldest Leica on the forum?

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
I guess I can post this here as well.

My oldest Leica is a Leica I (model A) from 1930 (right), next to my 1938 Leica I (model E).

LeicaIpair.jpg

Still waiting for NobbySparrow to open his webshop again, so I can get the proper nickel finish shutter button collar ;)

I guess I can post this here as well.

My oldest Leica is a Leica I (model A) from 1930 (right), next to my 1938 Leica I (model E).

LeicaIpair.jpg

Still waiting for NobbySparrow to open his webshop again, so I can get the proper nickel finish shutter button collar ;)

Simply beautiful!

Old, but converted post war. I wonder how much of the original remains.

med_U10724I1591744809.SEQ.4.jpg

I posted this to the conversions thread last week.

Joe

I posted already about my Standard Leica being my oldest Leica camera.

P1060036-X3.jpg

P1060037-X3.jpg

It is a beautiful camera with a slim body.

Here’s a Replica of Oskar Barnacks exposure tester camera “Die Mutter der UR Leica”. Yes, it works!
med_U67835I1592406043.SEQ.0.jpg

Nice to see this thread running again!

My oldest Leica is a Ia, made in 1929, with serial number 14926. Old style base (black & chrome), Elmar, lower advance lever & dimpled mushroom release. It works perfectly, but somebody removed who knows when the disengager to rewind the film. So now film must be taken out with both spools and rewinded by hand in dark room/ dark bag.

BTW, now I understand why the lower style advance lever was modified to the usual higher design. I accidentally touched the release while advancing film twice, resulting in a wasted shot in my first trial.

49959424182_6a07490a71_c.jpg

You mean by "lower style advance lever" the wind knob? I've always thought they made it higher because a higher knob gives a much better grip.

Erik.

You mean by "lower style advance lever" the wind knob? I've always thought they made it higher because a higher knob gives a much better grip.

Erik.

eeeh.... yes, english is not my native language :D... sometimes I have to improvise descriptions.

Well, it obviously has better grip with a higher knob and specially it does not interfere so much with the release. And if this release is the larger mushroom type... you end shooting while advancing film, and that's not nice. If this happened to me twice in 30 or so pictures, probably a lot of customers complained to Leitz about this question (or I'm clumsy, that could also be an explanation :bang:)

Ha, I'm out straight away. Yet I can can compete in a similar fashion. :D

Mine is a 1932 Leica II, nr. 71917. Leica IIs started at 71200. Anybody got an older Leica II?

Hi,

I forgot that I had pending the answer to this topic.
I have the Leica II 71207 (the 8th sample) from April the 11th 1932 that is, as far as I know, the earliest known so far :)

Stay safe,

Augusto

Hi,

I forgot that I had pending the answer to this topic.
I have the Leica II 71207 (the 8th sample) from April the 11th 1932 that is, as far as I know, the earliest known so far :)

Stay safe,

Augusto

Wow!

I have since 2013 ‘upgraded’ my Leica II to nr. 71407, exactly 200 after yours.

And, I bought a converted Leica in Berlin, nr. 12xxx a few years back. But, converted to a III, non-factory chromed camera

DSC04228.JPG

I tried, without success, to find a thread specifically for the Model A, but couldn't find one. As sample of photos just posted on the main gallery with No. 5252 from 1928. The success rate was not high- occasional wind-on woozy, optimistic viewfinder resulting in missing edges on the negative, image area displaced over the sprocket holes (I used a rubber washer as a spacer, so at least the frames weren't wonky). But when it works it seems near miraculous for a 95 year old camera. Good on yer, Oskar!

Focusing using a HFOOK rangefinder. Guess distance, set that on rangefinder and lens, then fine focusing with feet.

Not necessarily in keeping with what is the oldest 'original' Leica, but this started life out as a 4-digit model I, circa 1928.Leica6.jpgLeica9.jpgLeica10.jpg

Last edited:
Back