Who Here Is Still Using An Epson RD1?

Keith

The best camera is one that still works!
Local time
6:06 PM
And if you are how do you convert/process raw files?

I notice Iridient software supports ERF files and being a Mac OSX user I assume there is no other option?

The reason I ask is I dug my RD1s out of storage today (forgot I had it actually) and have some batteries on charge so if the camera still works I would like to give it a gallop. Such a nice camera ... I really hope it still functions. :)

Thanks Keith! Amazing how well these things hold their value! It's gotta be some kind of record for a digital camera. I took a chance on this one with no batter/charger for $200, ordered a new battery and switched it on, and it came to life! So for a bit under $225 I finally got one.

Lightroom supports ERF files then Gid? I didn't know that!

I’m away from my computer today so can’t check how I used to do it, but I did used to process RD1 files in LR back in the day, and there’s always the option to “Copy as DNG” in the import screen

I have the R-D1, R-D1s and R-D1x and use them often. The RAW files of the R-D1 and R-D1s are supported by ACDseePro 10. Strangely enough, the R-D1x isn't.

Didn't use it for a long time (used an M9 for some years and now an X-Pro2), but my son still uses the Epson regularly. Lightroom natively supports the Epson since the beginning. Due to their subscription model I switched over to Capture One. It takes a bit to learn Capture One but I in my opinion it is the far better tool in almost any respect.

I use Lightroom and Abobe Camera Raw. You could also use the free Abobe DNG converter. Out-of-camera jpegs are pretty decent too on the RD-1.

When I pulled the camera out of the storage box it was in with batteries charger etc I was hit with a wave of nostalgia. Sitting with a coffee and getting the feel of the camera, looking through the finder etc I couldn't help but wonder why such a nice camera hit a wall at the X and ceased to exist. Reintroduce the RD1 with a better sensor and maybe 1:3 crop instead of the 1:5 and it would still sell in my opinion. It definitely has something special! :)

I still have mine! It's hard to believe that in the 13 years since it came out, no one else has figured out how design a digital camera this well - a digital sensor in a good film body is all you need!

Originally I was processing the RAWs in Capture One like my other cameras, until I discovered the 14mp upscaled TIFF output from the Epson software. It works surprisingly well, and the resulting image has a nice film-like texture to it.

I shot this sunset just last night. R-D1x Jupiter 12 Processed in LR
med_U26501I1512267493.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot this sunset just last night. R-D1x Jupiter 12 Processed in LR

Thirteen years old huh! We have gone nowhere in sensor technology looking at that! lol :D

Mine kicked into life with a charged battery and appears to be working perfectly ... and I have downloaded and installed Adobe DNG Converter on my Mac.

:)

Back