Who Here Is Still Using An Epson RD1?

Hey Steve, "darthfeeble" .... remember you sold me your RD1s off the side of the highway about 2009???

Still working great though I'm not shooting as much as I used to.

The Alignment is off, as expected. You had it recalibrated by Steves Camera or somebody in CA right before you sold it to me.

But its the vertical plane being off, not the horizontal, so all good.
Would like to post some pics, but I cant handle the prehistoric website controls

Best Cult camera of all time!

Thirteen years old huh! We have gone nowhere in sensor technology looking at that! lol :D

Mine kicked into life with a charged battery and appears to be working perfectly ... and I have downloaded and installed Adobe DNG Converter on my Mac.

:)

Keith, new batteries are available to this day, seems there were several devices that used that same one. In that you are on a Mac, Aperture works just dandy too. In fact I have yet to find a post processing software that doesn't accept the ERF files.

Hey Steve, "darthfeeble" .... remember you sold me your RD1s off the side of the highway about 2009???

Still working great though I'm not shooting as much as I used to.

The Alignment is off, as expected. You had it recalibrated by Steves Camera or somebody in CA right before you sold it to me.

But its the vertical plane being off, not the horizontal, so all good.
Would like to post some pics, but I cant handle the prehistoric website controls

Best Cult camera of all time!

Gary, "Cult Camera" is the best description that I've found. There is a facebook group for the camera if you do that. The only way I know to post here is to upload the picture and then in Gallery you can copy the url and paste it to the message window. There are other ways but I haven't bothered to learn them. If you are on flickr, there is a way to link to the pix there. I pm'd you with a lengthy howdeedo. S

I still have one, but haven’t used it in a while. May take it out for a spin, now that you’ve reminded me!

It lives .... :)

Taken this afternoon and processed in LR and Silver Efex ... using a 35mm f1.2 Nokton.

U5265I1512281602.SEQ.1.jpg

U5265I1512281601.SEQ.0.jpg

@Zeiss /Voigtlander: PLEASE update the RD1!! don't fully leave the field to Leica! I had one years ago but sold it for M8. The Leica was good - but the Epson was unique. It would for sure deserve an update!

@Zeiss /Voigtlander: PLEASE update the RD1!! don't fully leave the field to Leica! I had one years ago but sold it for M8. The Leica was good - but the Epson was unique. It would for sure deserve an update!

And please keep the manual shutter cock. That's significant in the camera's charm.

I carry the R-D1 when I don't want big raw files. The Epson colors do have a distinct look and the traditional handling characteristics of the camera are unsurpassed in any other digital. ACR works fine (PS Elements 6).

My R-D1 is still in use- in good company with Ricoh GR and Pentax K-1.
Mainly for B+W and if old fashioned look out-of-cam is required :)
(Rawker, GraphicConverter and LR for Mac)

the rd1 produced some of the nicest colours.

I haven't a bit of shame when it comes to "enhancing" a picture, but the ones from the Epson require very little most of the time. The thing that amazes me is the amount of detail that can be gotten from those files.

I use mine frequently - a R-D1s - teamed with a Minolta 40mm f2 or a Voigtlander Ultron 35mm 1.7 Aspherical and very occasionally a Canon 50mm 1.8 LTM. I agree completely that the colour rendering is very special and if I could work out how to post some shots here then I would.

For some reason I have a difficulty understanding what is required to post although I am pretty tech savvy, use Lightroom competently and have an underused Zenfolio account which Keith put me onto many years ago.

Cheers, Tim

Post your photo on Zenfolio. Copy the URL.

Come here, click reply, type your note in the message box as you did above, then click the yellow mountain and sunset icon above, paste in your photo's URL.

That's it.

G'day Tim,

Glad you're enjoying your R-D1s :). I either post to the gallery here which allows you to access a file on your own computer and then copy and paste the URL. Alternatively I will load onto Flickr where there is a button which gives you the URLs for different sizes.

Hope to see you next time I'm in Sydney.

cheers,
clay

These are pretty much straight out of camera ... taken earlier today. Not far behind my Merrills aside from file zize.

U5265I1512698914.SEQ.0.jpg

U5265I1512698915.SEQ.1.jpg

Mine started giving me more and more black frames after continuous use between 2009 and 2015. Bought a Leica M-E to replace it.
Gave the R-D1 to a friend who is now happily using it, he says he reconditioned the batteries and that it works better now.

Back