Who Here Is Still Using An Epson RD1?

The age of that sensor defies what it produces for colour shots.

I'm pretty sure it's fairy dust.

I have a Pentax with the same sensor and it just isn't close (though of course everything else including programming is different).

Nokton 35 mm f1.2 first version ... ideal with it being a very fast 50mm equivalent on the RD1.
A great lens with the R-D1. Another CV that works well with the R-D1 is the 4.5/15 super wide heliar, especially version II.

I love the idea of the R-D1 and really wish Cosina had dusted it off and fitted a new sensor - but kept the dials and the 'winding on' lever, of course!
Just had a look at the kind of prices they're going for on the 'bay. Eek!

Still was to be submitted ...

U34072I1512755724.SEQ.4.jpg

shot with Color Skopar 28/ 3,5

Another pic taken this morning with the RD1 and 35mm f1.2 Nokton combination. I haven't used that lens for a while and had forgotten just how good it is!

U5265I1512950821.SEQ.0.jpg

My favourite all time images I took with the RD1 and VC 40/1.4 which lived on it. I sold it as I shoot 99% film. Couldn't bear to see it not being used.

p547342286.jpg

p1043920812.jpg

p677752629.jpg

Cheers - John

what delicate colours...

That was my first thought. :)

Now that the RD1 has been resurrected I'm finding myself using it quite a lot ... it's a very nice camera to shoot with and those six meg files are amazing. I think back to my old D70 which supposedly had the same sensor? Not a patch on the Epson.

One thing I'll mention with my RD1 is because I've suddenly discovered how much I like it I'm not using the LCD at all now because I worry about that cable. The settings in the camera are what I need and everything else can be done externally of course. Ignoring the LCD totally (reversed) and because of the manual re-cocking it effectively becomes a superior camera for shooting in a film style than what Leica offers with their MD which is expensive for what it is.

I think I now like my RD1s a lot more than I did when I bought it some time ago as a classified bargain here for about six or eight hundred dollars from memory. :)

For the first time ever I tried my 35mm Biogon on the RD1 today ... such a nice lens and definitely has the edge over the 35mm Nokton for me and f2 is plenty fast enough.

U5265I1513329900.SEQ.0.jpg

R-D1 - The never ending Love-Story...

R-D1 - The never ending Love-Story...

After this thread made some appearances in the last few weeks on the forum's front page, I bought the camera for the fourth time now. I sold the other ones because I did not use them enough anymore to keep them, besides my much more modern and capable Leicas and other non-RF-cameras.

However, I never stopped missing it and had the idea that if I find one for a reasonable price and if I just had the money available, I would buy another one just for the fun of it. As my one and only collector-item, so to say - well, okay, one of two... Usually, I'm really only a camera user, not a collector. But this is one of the two cameras, I have seen and owned, that I just want to have.

I will sometimes use it, just for the fun and pleasure of using this lovely piece of camera-technology. Well, I found one, and I'm already back in love with it, although I haven't really used it so far, except for some test-shots.

The viewfinder has a strong yellow tint and is not very contrasty anymore, as the other copies that I owned. Also it is vertically out of alignment. Maybe, I will try to either have it serviced or do it on my own, if I find some good documentation about how to do it.

So, yes, I somehow still use mine...

One from my previous ones:
EPSN6086.jpg

After this thread made some appearances in the last few weeks on the forum's front page, I bought the camera for the fourth time now. I sold the other ones because I did not use them enough anymore to keep them, besides my much more modern and capable Leicas and other non-RF-cameras.

However, I never stopped missing it and had the idea that if I find one for a reasonable price and if I just had the money available, I would buy another one just for the fun of it. As my one and only collector-item, so to say - well, okay, one of two... Usually, I'm really only a camera user, not a collector. But this is one of the two cameras, I have seen and owned, that I just want to have.

I will sometimes use it, just for the fun and pleasure of using this lovely piece of camera-technology. Well, I found one, and I'm already back in love with it, although I haven't really used it so far, except for some test-shots.

The viewfinder has a strong yellow tint and is not very contrasty anymore, as the other copies that I owned. Also it is vertically out of alignment. Maybe, I will try to either have it serviced or do it on my own, if I find some good documentation about how to do it.

So, yes, I somehow still use mine...

Thanks for contributing to the thread and an interesting story of your ongoing love for the camera. I suspect that as time goes on working examples of this remarkable camera are going to get harder and harder to find. With this in mind I am now treating mine with kid gloves. :)

Gary, "Cult Camera" is the best description that I've found. There is a facebook group for the camera if you do that. The only way I know to post here is to upload the picture and then in Gallery you can copy the url and paste it to the message window. There are other ways but I haven't bothered to learn them. If you are on flickr, there is a way to link to the pix there. I pm'd you with a lengthy howdeedo. S

Thanks Steve, but that is what I mean by “prehistoric”.
So after you post the url here, then in the future reorganize your albums in Flickr, SmuMug, etc, the pic in the RFF thread is erased. So what is the use?

Sorry, but this is supposed to be a PHOTO WEBSITE ....

In other news, the only lens I’ve had trouble with for the RD1s is the CV Norton SC 35/1.4 —- backfocussing. O/w the modern Zeiss lenses fared the best for color, excellent match with the 6mp sensor.

I bought one in April this year as my main camera.
Got a CV 21/4 and a Jupiter 3, which I both enjoy very
much. I want to show you some of my pictures here:

tumblr_ozzqjkH0KQ1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqj8EO3b1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqiwpfOB1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqciW8HV1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqbleyxz1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqb7IrsD1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqatzBbt1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzqahXySR1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq9mN1Zj1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq97M2LC1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq8tZuEO1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq8dVyNZ1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq803kuV1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq7o0vLO1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ozzq7bIbTV1snduq0o1_1280.jpg

All of the images were taken during a two week
journey through the cities and landscapes of northern
Spain this year.

Couldn't think of a more enjoyable camera
to have by my side. I love the way it looks, the way it
feels, the way it works and the images it produces.

Kevin

Edit: Hope I didn't hijack this thread, just wanted to show what beautiful output this ancient camera is able to produce!

Last edited:
I bought one in April this year as my main camera.
Got a CV 21/4 and a Jupiter 3, which I both enjoy very
much. I want to show you some of my pictures here:

All of the images were taken during a two week
journey through the cities and landscapes of northern
Spain this year.

Couldn't think of a more enjoyable camera
to have by my side. I love the way it looks, the way it
feels, the way it works and the images it produces.

Kevin

Edit: Hope I didn't hijack this thread, just wanted to show what beautiful output this ancient camera is able to produce!

Not hijacked at all :) and the more images people post here the better as far as I'm concerned. Not only do your pics show the unique colour characteristics of the camera's sensor we are showing anyone who views this thread that thirteen year old digital technology can more than hold its own. Thanks for those and your contribution. :)

Back