who owns a recent production zeiss ikon here?

back alley said:
the more i use it the more i like it.

especially the lenses, they just feel so smooth in use. and of course the finder makes focusing so much easier.

and thats why soon you may be able to add me to this list. As I go over my leica m7 thoughs and notice how hard it is to find a .58 which I need because of my glasses, and dont want to have two different framelines in the finder at once, and because its cheaper I keep looking back to the ikon....I really dislike that shutter readout though....sigh....cant have it all I guess

you mean the red light on the left?
i can't see it most times i look so now i put my finger in front of the window and i can see it fine. it's a bit of a pain for sure but it works.
but i normally just point the camera down and hit the ae lock button. works for me.

Me too.

Me too.

Silver Special Edition #10 and 50 Planar. Whole bunch of Leica & VC optics that see occasional use on the ZI.

Rick d.

I love it! I love it! I love it!!! what a spectacular system! I just can not stop loving it, just came back from street shoot, it was very very hot outside but can not stop enjoying it :)
P.S. got hold of summilux 50, I have to admit I did not like the build, expecialy apeture ring, not only it is soft but it has moves around! but anyway very sexy lens :) I am becoming 50mm adict! :D

Last edited:
wink wink. black zi, and it works fine. the eye point of the finder is a hammer for those with glasses.

back alley said:
i can't keep track...

who else owns a zi here?

#1... joe

I have a black one that I use with the Leica and CV lenses I already had.

I have a friend who's thinking of getting a nice RF and (with all due respect to my Leica M6TTL and my two CVs) I told him I think it is in many ways the best of the ones I have. Note: I do not have a Leica M7 or maybe I wouldn't say that. I bought the ZI because I wanted an M7 but didn't want to spend that much more money... till the Leica M8 comes out. But I digress....

I think the ZI is an improvement on the CVs. That super-smooth film advance! The quieter shutter. And the fact that you can move it from automatic to manual shutter speeds with just a continuous turn of the dial. That is a big improvement over having to push an extra button to unlock the dial.

Things I would improve: The shutter speed display seems to be hard for all of us to see. I wish it were on the right side of the viewfinder, where it seems like it would be more visible--often would be superimposed on something dark. Also, I like shooting with motors and rapid winders sometimes--actually a lot of the time. I do not expect to see this happen, because of where they put the wind mechanism, but if there were a "mark 2" of the ZI, maybe that could be addressed.

Of course, what I really expect is that Mr. K and Zeiss will bring out a DIGITAL version and that it will be the next generation ZI. If they were not planning this, then they would've made some provision for a motor drive, don't you think?

Then it's me. I have a black ZI with a 25/2,8 + 50/2,0 and a silver Voigtländer 50/2,5. - The black ZI look particularly elegant with this silver Voigtländer lense. You find a picture of it here: http://www.foto.no/diskusjon/images/215181.jpg - Or here: http://www.foto.no/diskusjon/images/219577.jpg

The camera works flawlessly, but I set the ISO at 100 for Kodak 160 VC to get the result that I want. The red ligth exposure values can be difficult to read at times, but it is still far more practical to work with than it's MF sister; the Hasselblad SWC905. Scanned and blown up the negs looks tiny and falls through compared to the MF variant. Although just as sharp and crispy, the small 135-system negs has far lower potential for enlargements compared to MF. For an MF guy, shooting with the ZI is like an old railway man, in full uniform playing with a model railway, size HO.

Not only me is struck by ZI's elegance. A friend of mine,- he has a university degree in 'design' - or something in that line; he finds my Canon 1Ds II just 'awfully vulgar', while he has nothing but praise for the ZI with the Voigtländer lense, which he thinks is just right for this camera... - I am in with the in-crowd...! Am I not?

Attachments

• WW9B5346c.JPG
    WW9B5346c.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
Wow, Olsen, you bought the ZI viewfinder? :eek: I can't bring myself to pay that kind of dough for such a dinky little piece :( What's it like???

jano said:
Wow, Olsen, you bought the ZI viewfinder? :eek: I can't bring myself to pay that kind of dough for such a dinky little piece :( What's it like???

- My experience with a rangefinder camera is limited and thought that this ZI viewfinder was 'a must'. Sure, it is a rip off!

I lost it once, but found it again when visiting my neighbour. He was just shocked that this 'dinky little piece' costs about the same as a cheap colour television! It falls off if you don't do something to fasten it better. What I do is that I squeeze a wooden tooth pick in between the camera shoe and the viewfinder and break it off. Then it's put like glued.

Enclosed is my first picture taken with my CZ 50/2,0 (bought this 2.hand here in Norway - to sell a thing like that must be like devorcing Paris Hilton) - which draws very similar to the legendary Carl Zeiss 80 mm 2,8 for Hasselblad - possibly one of the best all-round lenses ever made. I have two examples of the latter; the FE and C-version. The CZ 50/2,0 is even crisper. So, Carl Zeiss has done a job improving these things. Not bad!

Enclosed is the first picture I took with this CZ 50/2,0. I am not genious scanning, and this is about the best I do, - but I find it very promising.

While the Voigtländer 50/2,5 Color Skopar draws children's faces 'flatter' and older people more flattering, the CZ 50/2,0 finds more color detail and more glow in the dark corners. Amazing lense!

Attachments

• Image3c2.JPG
    Image3c2.JPG
    744.9 KB · Views: 0
Olsen said:
(bought this 2.hand here in Norway - to sell a thing like that must be like devorcing Paris Hilton)

That might be a good thing.. 'specially if you didn't sign a prenup :D

Vlad.. yah, he means ZM, CZ is for Carl Zeiss, same thing *shrug*

back alley said:
i can't keep track...

who else owns a zi here?

#1... joe

My black ZI came yesterday. My black Sum 50 went on without crying, and the first roll of XP-2 came out great! I don't miss my M7 any nore!

Steve

Back