Why do ZI rangefinders cost so much even used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had one since they first came out. It's one of my least-used cameras, although the finder is superior to any other rangefinder I've ever used. Every so often, I'll load it, shoot a roll, be more than satisfied with the results, and then put it back for another couple of months. I don't want to sell it just because I know at some time I will want another and have to pay more for a used one than I did when I bought it new. The current cost is set by the market - supply and demand. If you don't want to pay the price, do without. It's that simple.

Well, of course there is that slightly-audible "click" when the rear door latches shut...
If we'd really want to get to the bottom of this and move into hard-core gear head territory, we'd be sharing youtube clips comparing "click" noise levels...

If we'd really want to get to the bottom of this and move into hard-core gear head territory, we'd be sharing youtube clips comparing "click" noise levels...

I thought you said "case closed".. why are you still posting?

It´s not "hard core gear". Photographers have to shoot in places where any click is disturbing. The less the better but you wouldn´t know that. Stop pretending. You are not hardcore.

"Your camera is a brick and an antique."
"Well yours is made of paper mâché and tape."
"Your shutter sounds like a barn door closing."
"And yours vibrates like a Harley Davidson."

:)

I've had one since they first came out. It's one of my least-used cameras, although the finder is superior to any other rangefinder I've ever used. Every so often, I'll load it, shoot a roll, be more than satisfied with the results, and then put it back for another couple of months. I don't want to sell it just because I know at some time I will want another and have to pay more for a used one than I did when I bought it new. The current cost is set by the market - supply and demand. If you don't want to pay the price, do without. It's that simple.

yes. Some cameras are overpriced on ebay while others are a bargain. It´s simple. I agree.

Well, of course there is that slightly-audible "click" when the rear door latches shut...

Try that slightly audible click while shooting on a film set. There is a book on Magnum´s photos of film sets.

I had a horrible argument once w/ a spectator while i was shooting ballet in a theatre and my job was cancelled. I had a dslr. Now i shoot w/ Sonys and have no trouble. Noise from camera can be amplified in certain places.

As a data point on pricing fwiw; When this camera was announced I pre-ordered the kit with the 50/2 ZM lens (should have ordered the 85/2!). It came labeled as a special edition on the top plate, fancy box, with a crystal Zeiss inaugural edition paper weight.
I kept it for about a year, wasn’t that knocked out by it, hard to explain why, and put the entire kit, lens, body, box, paperweight and all,, up for sale here for $850. It took weeks to sell, only selling after the head bartender posted “why doesn’t somebody buy this?” under the ad. I’ve often wondered if someone here still has it.

I thought you said "case closed".. why are you still posting?
Case closed, you're not going to buy a ZI. This said, your ''quiet loading" claim is garnering interest among the RFF constituency. Don't hesitate to elaborate on your findings, either here, or in a separate post.

Try that slightly audible click while shooting on a film set. There is abook on Magnum´s photos of film sets.

Magnum's Eve Arnold tried it on film sets with her SLRs. Seemed to work fine for her. Perhaps she just knew when to make tiny clicks and when to not. Seems simple enough.

From the review:
• The aforementioned more accurate electronically-controlled shutter, with a top shutter speed double that of the Leica's at 1/2000th and with a faster flash sync.
(vertical metal shutters on my Nikons ceased to work when stored for a long time. The horiz. on my Leica is still working.)

• The ZI is lighter, about 4/5ths the weight of the Leica. I see this as an improvement; others might not.
(a heavier camera body w/ less vibrating shutter is more stable and shakes less when you are shutting 1/15 of a second. IME)

• It's not as expensive. I see this as an improvement too, although maybe it's not one either. (now it´s more expensive.)

>It has a swing-open back, with conventional film loading. Finally. The lack of a swing-open back, which is standard on virtually every other camera that is even remotely comparable, has always been one of the crowning idiosyncrasies of the original Leica M design. Even to the point that Leica duplicated it in the digital M8, which seemed perverse to me when I tried the M8. Even some of the diehards don't bother to defend this one.
(the original Nikon F has a similar Leica arrangement: remove part of the camera to load film. NOt very user friendly but... it gives quiet loading. Nobody mentions that but the convoluted leica loading is quiet).

• It has AE with exposure compensation.
(just like a Leica M7..)

I am still not convinced to pay 1.8k for this camera. I will pay this money on other photo gear but not the ZI. It´s a free world do as you wish.

And, the finder is very nice as well.

Case closed, you're not going to buy a ZI. This said, your ''quiet loading" claim is garnering interest among the RFF constituency. Don't hesitate to elaborate on your findings, either here, or in a separate post.

Who do you call constituency? There is all kinds of people here including a large number of experienced photographers.

You are playing hardcore w/ sarcasm and all but seems you have no experience w/situations where camera noises are amplified.

I asked what would trigger the price up.. i didn´t ask you to decide if i am buying or not. I am sick of rude people on internet forums. Play nice and show respect for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back