Will you buy Nikon's upcoming EVIL camera?

Will you buy Nikon's upcoming EVIL camera?

• Never!

Votes: 128 43.2%
  • There's a small possibility I might.

Votes: 113 38.2%
  • Probably.

Votes: 38 12.8%
  • Absolutely without a doubt!

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters
Don't know what it gives me that my NEX5 doesn't. Between my NEX5 and my D700, my digital needs are mostly covered. The only gap that I can see is a full frame DRF that I can afford.

Well if it comes with m43 or smaller that it will be oriented at "advanced P&S" crowd I fear as using full frame designed lenses on such a small sensor not too sense-full (to me). I do not see the need for another camera a'la Pentax GF or Olympus Pen or Sony Nex - there are still very few fast and/or fixed focal lenses for these.

I would like to see more cameras a'la X100. But whether there are enough customers for nikon to come up with a dedicated, "pro" designed camera that many of us would like to see, I do not know. There must be a raeson why both Nikon and Canon did not enter this segment - they obviously leave the market beta testing to others. But if they do manage to bring up a reasonable body I am sure that VC can help us with some nice manual focus lenses :)

But what I personally would like to see would be a nicely designed , FX body that would allow for the future for a large hardware updates (change a senzor module once better is available or even to change the processing electronics). And of course well done lenses too. Then I would be willing to spend more as the camera would not become obsolete in 2 or 3 years. I know I am daydreaming here, but why not! :p

EDIT: an i am one of those few who would not care a bit whether it would be Nikon, Canon or other producer to come with such a camera.

It's supposed to be a "pro" mirrorless.

If APS-C, everyone will sigh.

If full frame w/ short register---sensor to lens distance, and as small as an M9, it will be sold out for a year.

I just wanted to wish this thread a happy (belated) birthday.

One year later, still no Nikon mirrorless interchangeable lens format camera, and still no signs of one. In other Don't-Buy-Someone-Else's-Camera news, Canon continues to publicly muse that they may make an "interesting" product some time next year.

But the best announcement is that Leica is working on a mirrorless interchangeable lens format – as if that's not what an M-mount rangefinder is.

An interchangeable Leica camera would mean it takes M lenses, and if it takes M lenses and its made by Leica then logically it follows that it is a M camera, but what if this mirrorless camera is not M but it takes M lenses and its made by Leica, then are we to conclude that M series is being divided into two categories, a cheap one and the usually expensive one/M9/M9-P... It seems like Leica is finally going to cannibalize the M series and that's not good for Leica fans, because it divids them into haves (M9 owners) and have-nots (Mirrorless Leica owners). Bad strategy by Leica but understandably born out of desperation.

NO NO NO.

Format wars are over. 35,med, sheet film won. Add aps c for digital.

Nikon D3000 is quite small enough. I use my D40 for light weight use.
D700 or D3 for better applications.

My opinion is what good does it do if you capture the image of the century, and all you had was a poor tiny sensor?

My opinion is what good does it do if you capture the image of the century, and all you had was a poor tiny sensor?

Better than not having a camera with you because you were waiting for the Nikon mirrorless that never came.

If I shot the photo of the century with my Canon S90, I would be quite happy. Or the forthcoming Pentax Q. Or my iPhone 4, for that matter. I'm putting together my next magazine for work and a cool photo taken with an iPhone may make the cover. If it doesn't, it will be because of the composition, not the resolution.

Remember, this Leica world that so fascinates us came about because Oscar Barnack wanted to have a smaller "sensor."

Will it outshoot my Canon 5D in all respects.

Will it outshoot my Canon 5D in all respects.

If the answer to that question is not a resounding yes, I'll still use the money and rent a stout Camera-Caddy to haul my 5D around and pull it from my bag when I smell a shot coming up.:D

I suspect it will just be another stab at a bridge camera to attract buyers from the P&S crowd. Also, with Ashton Kutcher pumping it on TV, it will sell nicely to the "wannabe a Nikon Owner Club".

Also if it's going to attract any real serious enthusiasts, it will have to have cross platform adaptations of legacy lenses... Particularly Leica M mount, plus thread mount lenses.

Could come to fruition however. Both Nikon and Canon have got to be getting itchy about not playing in that market place.The both need something to fill the hole in the market between their P&S tiny sensor models and their DSLR APSc and FF contenders. It's a huge hole in their current strategies.

Last edited:
Bad news Nikon fans...

Nikon-Mirrorless-Camera-X810.jpeg

Apparently, this is the mount & sensor.

Yep, it's tiny.

Almost looks like the Pentax Q mount, just upside down and with more electrical contacts.

q-mount-pentax.jpg

It does look similar, apart from the lens pin and contacts. Either way, tiny tiny sensor and there's no way they're getting my money if this is truly the sensor size they're going to be using...

m4/3 is the smallest I'll go!

With the tiny, sub-4/3 sensor, this just seems like a complete waste of time. And if the price of the Pentax Q is any indication, with an even smaller sensor, it won't be cheap.

Why, Nikon, why?

Why not an APS-C camera about the size of an X100, with a few new lenses and a motorized adaptor to allow compatibility with existing F-mount lenses? Then they might be onto something... but this just seems, like the Q, to be another somewhat bizarre range of "toy" cameras.

I would much prefer they allocated their finite resources into refreshing the existing lens range (fast wide primes for DX, anyone?), or in fact just about anything else...

Scott

No surprise there, there's only so many ways you can build a small short-register bayonet with electronic contacts.

Yes, only so many ways, except for the fact that they could use one out of about 15 different sensor sizes. We were commenting that the lens mount and sensor size together look very similar. It may be the same sensor as the Pentax Q, or slightly larger. Either way, that makes it 2 distinct products on the market, all the other interchangeable lens cameras have much much bigger sensors. m4/3 is like 800% bigger. Considering the original rumors that this would be a system for 'pros' it's actually quite surprising.

Yes, only so many ways, except for the fact that they could use one out of about 15 different sensor sizes. We were commenting that the lens mount and sensor size together look very similar. It may be the same sensor as the Pentax Q, or slightly larger. Either way, that makes it 2 distinct products on the market, all the other interchangeable lens cameras have much much bigger sensors. m4/3 is like 800% bigger. Considering the original rumors that this would be a system for 'pros' it's actually quite surprising.

Actually the Nikon sensor looks a fair bit bigger than the Q sensor, even though we're still firmly in fingernail territory. Thumbnail, maybe.

However, I agree with you about the disappointment. I don't know where the "pro" rumours came from. If you want to attract "pros", the strategy by Sony (and presumably Canon) to build hybrid movie and still camera systems around sensors with at least 1.6x crop seems to make much more sense.

Then again unlike the case with Sony (and possibly Canon), but like the case with Pentax, it would have been more difficult to build an F-mount-compatible EVIL - not the least because most F-mount lenses require mechanical actuators for the aperture. So the existence of an established line of lenses falls away as an argument for a particular sensor size. Since they have to build an entirely new line of lenses anyway, Nikon seems to consider small sensors good enough.

If they want to be successful with this, it will depend on whether they can build attractive (small & good) lenses, if they can get sensor noise and high ISO performance under control, and if they can price the package attractively. The small segment of tinkerers who attach whatever lens to their cameras of course falls away as customers, but Nikon apparently considered this tiny segment too irrelevant to base design decisions on their preferences.

Back