Would you travel with the Leica Digilux 2?

If you have a Digilux 2 that is working well, sure why not? You'll simply work within the camera's capabilities, that's all. It's got a lovely lens and a good, if old, sensor.

If the camera breaks while you're traveling, unless you're in truly remote places you can buy a replacement when needed. Unless I'm shooting on a paid gig, I never bother to carry a "backup." I might carry a second camera because it has very different capabilities, but that's not backup.

G

Hi Godfrey,
I have a few more days to go to make up my mind. I agree with you that a second camera would have to have something different.

It's an interesting camera, but in all honesty given your options definitely not, I would not take it. I would find the ISO/resolution limitations too restrictive and it is quite bulky. Colours are nice but I would believe any one of your other cameras would have files that can be tweaked to have similar colour profiles.

I would take the M9 + an m43, a lens on each.

This is a nice (local) beach camera.
I am now thinking of taking the M9 with 3 [small] lenses, and my IPhone.

raid, i wouldnt take the m9 to the beach. youre pretty much guaranteeing the need for a cla if you do, whether or not you change lenses there. plus worrying all day that someone is watching it while you swim so it doesnt get stolen! and honestly youre not picking up that much on the low light end. a fixed lens camera is perfect for the beach.

For a family trip, a small lightweight camera is certainly more pleasant, and high resolution is a secondary issue. Of course if your artistic eye catches something more, you might wish you had the bigger camera!

In a week we'll be driving down the west coast to San Diego for a few days and then to the Palm Springs area. For some time - like you - I've been pondering what gear I should take. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter all that much... But I am tempted to take medium format and let the car do most of the toting. On the other hand the smaller camera is so much lighter and easier to carry... I'm thinking of taking both, start large and go small if my shoulder demands it!

Have fun on your trip, too!

raid, i wouldnt take the m9 to the beach. youre pretty much guaranteeing the need for a cla if you do, whether or not you change lenses there. plus worrying all day that someone is watching it while you swim so it doesnt get stolen! and honestly youre not picking up that much on the low light end. a fixed lens camera is perfect for the beach.

No, I meant it all for a family trip overseas. I am extremely careful about changing lenses for the M8 or M9.

For a family trip, a small lightweight camera is certainly more pleasant, and high resolution is a secondary issue. Of course if your artistic eye catches something more, you might wish you had the bigger camera!

In a week we'll be driving down the west coast to San Diego for a few days and then to the Palm Springs area. For some time - like you - I've been pondering what gear I should take. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter all that much... But I am tempted to take medium format and let the car do most of the toting. On the other hand the smaller camera is so much lighter and easier to carry... I'm thinking of taking both, start large and go small if my shoulder demands it!

Have fun on your trip, too!
I did this Doug, and I ended up shooting hardly ever with the MF. You would need to take only the MF camera.

I am very much an amateur but for me ,the Digilux 3 is too much of a handful with the standard zoom, but downgraded to an Olympus lens I love it.

In the 70s , I actually preferredt the limitations of a Minolta SRT with 50mm which is now echoed in the M8 with 35mm Color Scopar and the deliberately basic Sony A290/35mm f1.8.

i guess for vacation, the Digilux 2/3 is rather like taking a vintage car - enjoying the experience and accepting it's limitations.

To the local air fair , I take the Dig 3 with Rokkor 135 f3.5 which is the lightest 270mm zoom I have , so when focused on infinity highlights the unique nature of a 4/3rds DSLR with the L1 committed to monochrome which is excellent .
With ASD, a second ,'more capable' camera would create a haze of anxiety concerning shots which may be missed , although I keep my Fujifilm ZF1 'note book ' close at hand.
dee

E-PL1 and M8 or M9

Using only ltm/m mount lenses, this creates flexibility for using the M8 with its 1.333x crop factor and the E-PL1 with the 2x crop factor.

........................ E-PL1 .............. M8.........M9
28/2.8 Rokkor..... 56.................. 37........ 28
50/1.5 J-3.......... 100..................67........ 50
90/2.8 Elmarit.... 180..................20........ 90

So I will have covered the range of 37mm-180mm or 28mm-180mm. I could leave out the Elmarit for a smaller set.

Hi Raid, when will meet if a few days Simo will bring her DSLR and I'll (probably) bring my m7 and the Bessa R, one with CineStill 50 daylight and the other with the CineStill 800 tungsten. Only film this time! Lenses? 35 - 50 - 75.
Of course I have time to change my mind...
robert

Hi Robert,
The M7 is a great camera and so is the Bessa. I have never used film by CineStill.

I want to keep things simple for myself on this trip. As you said above, "I have time to change my mind."

Advocatus diaboli: if you want to keep things simple, do you need 2 bodies and 3 lenses? Do you really need 180 mm?
Just take LC1 and your smartphone as a backup. Vario-Summicron is a better glass than all the three mentioned lenses, and covers 28-90. :angel:

Thank you for the link. I could take the L1 and the E-PL1 as a back-up.

If you want to travel light, this is a good way to go. Your photos with the L1 above show its capabilities. And the E-PL1 also produces lovely images (even if the autofocus is really slow). Put a fast prime on the E-PL1 and use it for indoors/low light (it will handle up to iso 800) and use the L1 for daytime.

Raid says:
... I have never used film by CineStill.

robert answers: me too!

I want to test them in outdoor the 50 and indoor the 800, I have seen interesting results (in the web!). And to be sure some good photos will be made I count on my wife ability :) with her DSLR

robert

Advocatus diaboli: if you want to keep things simple, do you need 2 bodies and 3 lenses? Do you really need 180 mm?
Just take LC1 and your smartphone as a backup. Vario-Summicron is a better glass than all the three mentioned lenses, and covers 28-90. :angel:

I can see your viewpoint and that of Steve.
LC1 with E-PL1 may do it. Iphone is also there.
The E-PL1 creates wonderful portraits. The Vario-Summicron is a wonderful lens.
My concern is having old batteries for the LC1. Do they last enough each day to cover several hours of snapshots here and there?
I need also to cover evening scenes once in a while. The LC1 is a daytime camera.
Using the E-PL1 and the LC1 means taking along two chargers and two types of batteries.

Raid says:

robert answers: me too!

I want to test them in outdoor the 50 and indoor the 800, I have seen interesting results (in the web!). And to be sure some good photos will be made I count on my wife ability :) with her DSLR

robert

My wife will not take any photos. I will do this part alone.

Panasonic chargers tend to be fairly compact (at least, the one I have for my GX1 is). I don't think taking two sets of chargers will weigh you down too much. I always buy an extra battery and slip it in my pocket or bag when I'm out and about with one of my m4/3 cameras.

I got some very nice files out of the E-PL1 on a trip to Salzburg and Vienna in winter 2011. I used the Pany 20/1.7 lens exclusively, and shot a lot at night or indoors, w/ the iso turned up. Slow autofocus (as I've noted) but the colors were lovely.

Back