Would you travel with the Leica Digilux 2?

i remember my digilux 2 as not carryable with a wrist strap. that means slinging it over my shoukder or variation of shoulder strap. once youre there, taking a small bag, like my ona bowery, is really not inconvenient at all. ive taken only the x100 and rx1 (plus xpan film cam) as the only digicams on trips to france and the california coast respectively. i never missed a zoom, never missed having another digi. loved having the film option available. however both cams could do low light.

so, long way about, if youre carrying a semi big cam about on your shoulder, its no trouble to bring another li'l one and carry both in small bag. if you dont agree and are comfortable that you WILL absolutely miss some shots in low light you might regret missing, then do it!

btw, you can pick up an 'old', light, pocketable, x100 for like $350. selling one of your m4/3 cams can get you half way there, and then youre good to go up to iso3200!
tony

Raid,

Freedom is a wonderful thing. A desirable thing on a family trip. Just because it is a little old, slower, not as versatile, a bit heavier, not as valuable, doesn't mean it isn't a good choice. If it did, then I have just described myself and I should just stay home in a rocking chair and sell the M3!!!

Be bold!!! Leave the anchors at home. The camera took great pictures when they were new. Are those pictures obsolete?

LOL, it is a family trip... Enjoy!!!:))

Hi Dave,
If the M 4/3 cameras would have had a smaller crop factor, thy would have been perfect for me. The M bodies are not light, and they are costly. The "Digilux 2" [actually, I have its Panasonic clone] is an outdated digital camera,

When using a film camera, no camera is really outdated. When using a digital camera, there can exist a huge difference in the used technology by which a digital camera approaches/exceeds/falls short of what a corresponding film camera can handle. Using the M6 or the M3 is not much different to me than using my Canon F1N, say. There, the lens used would matter more.

Traveling in a "minimalistic spirit" is always an experience! Personally I wouldn't do it digital but sometimes I do it analog bringing only my Holga and a few film...
robert, quiet photographer a little bit confused :)

I tried to use the M9 with the SWC during my last trip to Italy, That did not work out well for me. I used the M9 (and the E-P2) almost all of the time.

i remember my digilux 2 as not carryable with a wrist strap. that means slinging it over my shoukder or variation of shoulder strap. once youre there, taking a small bag, like my ona bowery, is really not inconvenient at all. ive taken only the x100 and rx1 (plus xpan film cam) as the only digicams on trips to france and the california coast respectively. i never missed a zoom, never missed having another digi. loved having the film option available. however both cams could do low light.

so, long way about, if youre carrying a semi big cam about on your shoulder, its no trouble to bring another li'l one and carry both in small bag. if you dont agree and are comfortable that you WILL absolutely miss some shots in low light you might regret missing, then do it!

btw, you can pick up an 'old', light, pocketable, x100 for like $350. selling one of your m4/3 cams can get you half way there, and then youre good to go up to iso3200!
tony

I like using my M 4/3 cameras, so I will not sell them. They make great tele cameras (with many types of lenses). They need special lenses for excellent wide angle lenses on M 4/3 cameras.

Maybe: M9 with E-PL1?

Raid, I took a Polaroid 420 Land camera with 4 boxes of color and 2 boxes of B&W with me to the Oregon coast. Our annual spring break trip. It was fun! Had so many comments on the camera. Filled up a photo album.

I had other cameras but used the iPhone 6+ for digital.

My point, do it!

You made a good point. I will have my IPhone 6 with me too.

Raid another thing I just recalled is that my L1 has three superb black and white modes. Not sure about the Digilux 2. It is the only camera I have ever owned which I am happy to shoot black and white in camera. Even later Panasonic cameras do not compete in this regard. In fact jpgs out of the camera are so good generally that I seldom bother to shoot in RAW unless the lighting is especially tricky. Again I am not sure how the Digilux 2 compares but would be surprised if it were not close or as good in this regard.

Hi Peter,
My thoughts on using my L1 were from the start as a replacement for my M9 or M8 during one trip. The L1 could be my B&W camera.

Dislaimer: I do not own a SWC

Having said this I believe if I had one I would only use that camera on a trip. Just entering that "wide" mood, select one foil B&W or color and shoot only one film a day!
Family snaps? The other members of family can do that, to the i.phone...

Years ago I saw the book from a famous usa photographer (sorry, forgetting the name now) all taken by his car with an SWC...

Of course , it's just an idea, a little bit silly...but why not to dare?

robert

It is a good idea, Robert, and I had it 2 years ago, but I made the mistake to also bring along the M9 :)
I need to check my refrigerator for B&W 120 film.

no, i wasnt suggesting selling both m4/3s--i have one for exactly the same reason--tele work. i was suggesting selling one--like an exchange really--for a better low light compact. anyway, youll make the rght choice. its really just a matter of sacrificing low light shots vs bringing another cam. itll work out fine either way. more importantly, enjoy your vacation!
tony

I took a few quick snapshots with the L1 today. My wife likes the color rendition, she told me.

P1020324-X2.jpg

P1020325-X2.jpg

P1020326-X2.jpg

P1020323-X2.jpg

I used ISO 100 with AF at 90mm.

I took a few quick snapshots with the L1 today. My wife likes the color rendition, she told me.

I used ISO 100 with AF at 90mm.

Raid I love the rendition of the L1. There is something about it that is really very nice and within its sensor limits has not really been surpassed even today, to my knowledge. It was a big bulky brick of a camera and doomed to be overtaken by the M4/3 tidal wave of small cameras but it was one before its time in many respects.

I agree with you on this point, Peter. maybe, it is a very good travel camera if it is supported by a camera with a fast lens and a larger sensor?

Back