XA2 Images

cz23

-
Local time
2:08 PM
In a recent RFF weekend photo challenge, I won an XA2. Actually, I finished fourth, but the winner organized the contest and disqualified homself, so I moved into bronze position for the XA2 (thank, Kent).

A few from the first roll, as I get the hang of it. Never used one before, but I think I'll really enjoy it. Thanks again for donating it, Zeno.

John

36751239960_2decfde05a_b.jpg

36779128400_753dc46d05_b.jpg

36987031946_5496eebceb_b.jpg

36779128310_6855c000ab_b.jpg

36987031816_d468f2e89c_b.jpg

Great images. I haven't used my XA2 for a while, you've just prompted me to get mine out again. It's the camera I now wish I'd had as a teenager and young adult.

Nice first roll John.
The xa2/3 are great cameras.
Olympus really gave us some great fixed lens p&s cameras.
I use xa3 and mju2 often. They really deliver the goods!
Cheers

Excellent set - in particular, I like the first shot.

Were these lab processed and scanned?

Thank you, everyone. Much appreciated.

tbhv55, they are home processed and scanned. I just returned to film after 10+ years of digital only, so I'm trying to get the hang of that process, too.

John

Thank you, everyone. Much appreciated.

tbhv55, they are home processed and scanned. I just returned to film after 10+ years of digital only, so I'm trying to get the hang of that process, too.

John

Wow! You're getting great results, straight away.

Time to get my XA2 out of the cupboard... ;)

Wow! You're getting great results, straight away.

Time to get my XA2 out of the cupboard... ;)

Thank you again. I'm coming to film from an MM and Zeiss lenses, which often seemed too sharp and contrasty to me. I'm going for the opposite here, with longish development and little agitation. Maybe I'm going too far; my scans are very flat. But I'm in experimenting and learning mode and really enjoying that process. Film has so many variables compared to digital.

John

I'm coming to film from an MM and Zeiss lenses, which often seemed too sharp and contrasty to me. I'm going for the opposite here, with longish development and little agitation. Maybe I'm going too far; my scans are very flat.

Not [bold highlight] to my taste. In fact, if you weren't located so far away, I'd pay you to develop my film in exactly the same way!

...In fact, if you weren't located so far away, I'd pay you to develop my film in exactly the same way!

LOL. A new home-based business. :)

Certainly, if this novice can do it, so can you:

Tri-X @400, HC-110h, 72°, 11m, 2 inv to start and 2 inv at 5m.

Pretty simple.

I doubt that I shoot enough film for you to make a living out of it! :D

Inspired by yesterday's posts in this thread, I retrieved my XA2 from the cupboard, only to discover that the shutter has seized and the film-wind wheel won't move. :(

Any tips or tricks to get it working? Perhaps it's easier just to find another one...

Inspired by yesterday's posts in this thread, I retrieved my XA2 from the cupboard, only to discover that the shutter has seized and the film-wind wheel won't move. :(

Any tips or tricks to get it working? Perhaps it's easier just to find another one...

Well, the fault turned out to be exhausted batteries.
rolleyes.gif
The XA2 is now working again - however, I could use some information from any XA2 experts on here.
smile.gif

I have noticed quite a large scratch on the lens (enough to feel quite easily with a thumb nail), and it is situated towards the top of the lens, near the periphery. I would imagine that it could easily cause flare in certain conditions. Does anyone have any experience of such a scratch on an XA2 lens, and if so, has it caused flare?

Also, I have a non-working XA2 (failed shutter button), and I'm wondering if it's possible (or practical) for someone with reasonable DIY skills to swap lenses from the non-functional XA2 into the good one? I realise that I could obtain another example for a modest outlay - however the good-but-scratched one that I already own, is in every other respect, in very nice condition. If I buy another example, it could easily be a whole new set of 'unknowns'. In other words, it's not the money, it's the fact that I already an example that is excellent... apart from the lens scratch. :(

TIA.

John,

As we can see in that wonderful first shot, you took little time in finding your legs with this XA 2! I have the XA and love that camera. I never use HC 110 but really like the grain as it's showing up in this set and your 2nd and 4th deserve honorable mention here too :)

David

Also, I have a non-working XA2 (failed shutter button), and I'm wondering if it's possible (or practical) for someone with reasonable DIY skills to swap lenses from the non-functional XA2 into the good one? .

I had a XA2 with an erratic shutter button. Repairing the shutter button is not very difficult. There is a H-shaped piece of metal underneath the button that needs a bit bending in order to make good contact.

Certainly, if this novice can do it, so can you:

Tri-X @400, HC-110h, 72°, 11m, 2 inv to start and 2 inv at 5m.

Pretty simple.

XA2/3 are great little cameras.

HC110 w/Tri-X is fun. I like 1:47 (DilE) at about 8 minutes with inversions every minute.

Stand developing it is also worth trying 1:125 with inversions at the start for 30 seconds and then just let it sit for an hour. Interesting thing about stand developing is I have developed Tri-X and TMAX 100/400 all in the same tank and enjoy the results. Tri-X can get grainy going stand though.

Shawn

I had a XA2 with an erratic shutter button. Repairing the shutter button is not very difficult. There is a H-shaped piece of metal underneath the button that needs a bit bending in order to make good contact.
Thanks - yes, I was aware of the shutter button fix (although I've never tried it).

However, the problem is that my XA2 with the stuck shutter button isn't in great *general* condition, whereas my other XA2 is in excellent general condition, apart from the scratch on the lens. Therefore, I'd prefer to repair the 'scratched-lens' XA2, rather than the 'stuck-shutter-button' XA2...! :)

Back