XPan Street Photography

Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau
Local time
3:53 PM
Ned's thread, where he proclaimed his love of the XPan, reminded me how much I use it and love it, as well.
In that spirit, here's a few images made with that amazing camera...they are from various places, my own city or overseas and anywhere in between. The only commonality is the camera and the approach to making images with it...love to hear your thoughts.

shadows.jpg

kodak_pano.jpg

apug_gate.jpg

monk_stairs_apug.jpg

rickshaws.jpg

morning_paper.jpg

Sorry to do this Colin, never usually keen when I see it done but 3,4 and 5 really stand out in this format for me. I've always wanted to give the xpan a go but never found a good example when I've had the spare cash - a really intriguing format that hopefully one day I'll get to play around with.

Do you have many more examples?

The XPan is quite possibly the sharpest lens I've ever used. It's a real joy to print those negatives.
Mine is being repaired right now but I hope to have it ready for a trip I'm making next month...just a marvelously designed camera - imagine, the ability to switch at any time from panoramic to regular format.

Mine is being repaired right now but I hope to have it ready for a trip I'm making next month...just a marvelously designed camera - imagine, the ability to switch at any time from panoramic to regular format.

Hi Colin, may I know where did you send it out for repair?

...vertical photography with this camera are a challenge but the Xpan is pure
cinematic love. (just recent sold the 90mm lens for this camera, I can't live without the 30mm and 45mm)

tumblr_nkr9uxmrAQ1r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9vtXYSk1r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9w5wSu71r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9vc5W791r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9u3wPsc1r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9tnP7Tt1r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9t5CZ431r1rytko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nkr9ug4nra1r1rytko1_540.jpg

Wow, I really like all the images posted here. Something about this camera just brings out the best, perhaps.

I'd love to get the 30mm for this camera but it's very expensive (small wonder, since it's got to project a wide angle medium-format view in a 35mm body) but I do have the 90mm in addition to the 45mm - curious to give that a try.

temple_bicycle_apug.jpg

horses2.jpg

A few others on my website colincorneau.com under "Galleries" and either China or Nepal.

I wish I was faster when an XPan was posted up in the classifieds here a few months ago. It was a really good price too. I'll have to make do with my Pentax 67 and a 35mm conversion kit which is incredibly inconvenient to unload - I have to carry a changing bag to do it!

Back