Your favorite visual cliché

Heart-shaped bokeh.
Light that falls on ring placed between book.

But... I still like looking/attempting it. :D

How on earth do make a heart-shape bokeh? You'd need an hearted aperture... with a 12 1/2 blades (out of which 3 are crooked) diaphragm...

Anything that may make you think that women are bodies before being individuals...

enjoy yourselves... I sure do

enjoy yourselves... I sure do

117993080.jpg

101950770.jpg

83720754.jpg

76687341.jpg

57084651.jpg

76430145.jpg

83684264.jpg

I think I'll box up all my cameras and go hide my head. You guys, collectively, don't like anything.

Did anybody mention cemetaries?

I think I'll box up all my cameras and go hide my head. You guys, collectively, don't like anything.

Did anybody mention cemetaries?

Some of these complaints seem to be more about types/subjects of photography rather than cliches.
I'm just not sure, for example, how all macro shots of insects (which I also don't really care for) can really be classified as cliche.

Shots of LEitzCAmeraS that tried to be beautiful, pictorial shots but couldn't... There are lots of them! But I adore those that got to be beautifully done, and also those that never tried to...

Cheers,

Juan

Some of these complaints seem to be more about types/subjects of photography rather than cliches.
I'm just not sure, for example, how all macro shots of insects (which I also don't really care for) can really be classified as cliche.

Yes, this thread shows a mix of fears and hates... That's why it's so interesting... Most of us photographers are so obsessive...

Cheers,

Juan

I wonder if the plethora of photograpic/visual cliche's we're coming up with here is in direct proportion to the gigantic and growing mountain of images we're subjected to every day. Inevitably much of the images we see become derivative and, to those who look at a lot of photographs, cliche. Familiarity breeds contempt, n'est pas?

Would you people explain just how you got a hold of my photo filled shoe boxes please?
:D
Actually, as a list of subjects, I can't reject many, if any, out of hand. I have seen a few examples of all of these that I've enjoyed. Admittedly, I have seen a vastly greater number of examples that I haven't enjoyed so much.
Rob

I'm really tired of seeing beautiful models, posed seductively, selling me something that I don't need, for a desire I didn't know I had.

I'm really tired of seeing beautiful models, posed seductively, selling me something that I don't need, for a desire I didn't know I had.

Would the alien-look of those models–whether plastic face or unrealistic waist–be considered such a cliché?

Whoever said 'grandma's hands' was right on, too. But so very wrong about the macro shots of bugs and/or flowers...!

3594622486_9554c633b0.jpg

Last edited:
Would the alien-look of those models–whether plastic face or unrealistic waist–be considered such a cliché? ...

Seductive aliens - now that I could go for! Cause, regardless of what you've heard, I am that kind of boy.

By the way, I like bug macros too. It's only cliche to another bug.

Vacationing couple in front of every tourist attraction...
Kim and me at the Trevi fountain... Kim and me at Mt Rushmore...

A couple saw that I had a camera, so asked me to take their photo on Waikiki Beach with Diamond Head in the background, and then held up fingers in a V symbol... now there's another cliche I guess, what does that signify?

Vacationing couple in front of every tourist attraction...
Kim and me at the Trevi fountain... Kim and me at Mt Rushmore...

A couple saw that I had a camera, so asked me to take their photo on Waikiki Beach with Diamond Head in the background, and then held up fingers in a V symbol... now there's another cliche I guess, what does that signify?

I guess it depends which way their hands were facing:)

Ahaha!

My favorite visual cliche:
- the urban landscape with a figure walking through it.

Increasingly annoying cliches:
- subjects flipping off the camera (it was good the first time Jim Marshall did it and a cliche the second time he did it)
- photographing the photographer shots

Least favorite cliches:
- any image on Flickr that was shot with polaroid film (instant art!)
- Holga or iPhone app images
- shots that use a gimmick (fish-eye lens, lensbaby, HDR, color isolation in monchrome, etc.)

/

Back