Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM photos

I've seen so many different lens thread. This is the only one that makes me want to buy the lens after seeing these images.

I blame Michael

Ha Ha, Thanks a lot.

I haven't posted a in awhile, my Flickr is "maxed out" and I am trying to decide what to do with it.

These are from my last trip to Myanmar.

I was staying in an area in southern Mon State and I heard that there was a fishing village nearby. I rode my motorbike out there a couple of times over the next couple of days and I every time I saw a dead dog on the beach, I got pretty sad.

Bin Le Wah Beach
46667964474_3b93ddc3a4_b.jpg
[/url]

Bin Le Wah Beach

Mandalay

Mandalay

cheers, michael

Just to bring forward a point I might have made in the past regarding this lens;

My guess is that Zeiss/Cosina threw all the optical tricks in the book at this lens for optimum performance on digital M-mount bodies and that resulted in the lens being a Distagon for the reasons given above. They succeeded as imo its a better lens than the current Summilux

I think this is correct; in fact if you recall CZ announced the lens delivery at one point and then the date came and went. I do believe some on this fine forum questioned the non-appearance at that time and CZ didn't really give a clear answer. In the months around that time I believe the next sensored Leica camera was released and it is my pure conjecture that CZ had a chance to test the 35mm f/1.4 on that sensor and went *back* to reformulating/fine tuning the optical formula to better match that sensor, especially against the Pre FLE Asph Summilux. It was after the CZ 35mm f/1.4 that the FLE 'lux was introduced; again my conjecture that the FLE was a response to a clearly superior lens on a Leica M sensor.
I truly believe that a new set of 35's from Leica is imminent; my guess is of course a Noct version super speed and super large and at perhaps a slightly faster Summicron ASPH with FLE. The bar has been set higher again with the new VC 35mm f/2 so I am very curious what will come....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
It just occurred to me: A Distagon is a retrofocus lens, with extra back-focus distance to clear an SLR mirror. But since the Distagon ZM is for a Leica M, and there is no mirror, why does it need to be a Distagon, and not a Biogon? Any 35mm lens has a long enough back focus to leave room for metering, so that can't be it.

The ZM Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 wouldnt clear the mirror in an SLR as it has a very different optical formula from the SLR Mount Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4. The SLR mount lens is twice the weight and size. My guess is that Zeiss/Cosina threw all the optical tricks in the book at this lens for optimum performance on digital M-mount bodies and that resulted in the lens being a Distagon for the reasons given above. They succeeded as imo its a better lens than the current Summilux

I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting this thread over the last few years. I enjoy the naturalness of your approach, which you discuss somewhere on page 3 (I went back and looked). You do have a knack for putting your subjects at ease when they know they are being photographed.

Does your lab also scan your photos for you, and how much post-processing does this particular film require?

This has been a wonderful journey through beautiful photographs. Thanks to all who posted images here. It is humbling to see it all.

I have thoroughly enjoyed visiting this thread over the last few years. I enjoy the naturalness of your approach, which you discuss somewhere on page 3 (I went back and looked). You do have a knack for putting your subjects at ease when they know they are being photographed.

Does your lab also scan your photos for you, and how much post-processing does this particular film require?

Thanks a lot jja..... My "old" lab in Bangkok scanned 99% of the photos in this thread. The photos that I just posted from NYC and Tokyo were developed and scanned by Precision Camera (rff sponsor). I don't know how to do post processing so I don't really mess around with it.

Hey Raid, I just moved to South Florida, I will be here for 2-3 years, we should meet up one day.

I still want to meet Akiva.

Jon Manjiro took me out in Tokyo and it was an amazing time, he rules.

Tokyo.....I saw this guy in a 7-11 and just approached him and talked to him a little and asked if I could take his photo. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
40425798183_dd8538f0e6_b.jpg
[/url]

NYC

Tokyo....It was my 1st time in Tokyo and I liked all of the designated "smoking areas" on the side streets. After living in Bangkok, it was interesting to see the special designated smoking areas.

Tokyo

Tokyo

cheers, michael

Thanks a lot jja..... My "old" lab in Bangkok scanned 99% of the photos in this thread. The photos that I just posted from NYC and Tokyo were developed and scanned by Precision Camera (rff sponsor). I don't know how to do post processing so I don't really mess around with it.

cheers, michael

Thank you for this info, it's good to know how photographers think about their process from start to finish. Precision Camera is my "home" lab, as I'm from Austin, but since most of my film photos are B&W developed at home, I don't use them very often. Your photos are inspiring me to return to color film.

Thank you for this info, it's good to know how photographers think about their process from start to finish. Precision Camera is my "home" lab, as I'm from Austin, but since most of my film photos are B&W developed at home, I don't use them very often. Your photos are inspiring me to return to color film.

No problem at all. I just moved back to the states and I think I am going to have to start shooting black and white and developing and scanning at home.

Tokyo
47344894412_ea5d2da65e_b.jpg
[/url]

Tokyo

Tokyo

Tokyo

cheers, michael

Back