Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM photos

a couple of more

26881734826_0750759ee6_b.jpg
[/url]Jaipur, India by

Jaipur, India by

cheers, michael

Is there a 35mm SLR lens that is 'comparable?' Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or Contax?

The Nikon 35mm 1.4G I have is pretty stunning at least in real actual photographer ( not lens tester ) terms, I would bet you could not tell a heck of a lot of difference when looking at photos like the OP has posted.

The new Zeiss Milvus line is also amazing.

Something really important that a couple of people have mentioned in another thread in regards to the Leica Summicron ASPH, the pre FLE, the FLE and the Zeiss. They are all very good lenses but the skill of the photographer, the light, the subject etc… are more important than the lens.

Glad you said that, because it is often a super-duper tough watermelon sized pill for a lot of folks to swallow in the photo forum realm. I had the 35mm 1.4 asph and it was spectacular when I was spectacular. Now I have the 35mm 1.4 FLE and again, it is spectacular when I am spectacular.

Glad you said that, because it is often a super-duper tough watermelon sized pill for a lot of folks to swallow in the photo forum realm. I had the 35mm 1.4 asph and it was spectacular when I was spectacular. Now I have the 35mm 1.4 FLE and again, it is spectacular when I am spectacular.

I agree with you 100%. I know quite a few people who are constantly "upgrading" their lenses and cameras (99% Leica stuff) with hopes that their photos will be "better", but they hardly ever are. I sometimes get caught up in it too, because I end up borrowing their gear but unfortunately I can't afford to buy the "newest and best" Leica gear that is constantly coming out. This lens (Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon) is the first lens that I have purchased in about 8 or 9 years, and the lens that it replaced was the 35mm 1.2 which is what I bought 8 or 9 years ago. That said, to each their own and if buying new gear makes you happy, I say go for it. I know that I am more motivated to go out and shoot with this lens because it is "new" to me and I want to try to use it in as many different situations as possible.

26916871695_959581b601_b.jpg
[/url]Jodhpur, India by

cheers, michael

Well just keep posting photos and keeping rocking the lens, you have no reason to switch until you decide you have a reason too, even if Zeiss were to come out with a ZM 35mm 1.4-II.

I only switched from my regular 35mm 1.4 to the FLE because of focus shift with my M240, other than that, I was really happy with the first one.

Well just keep posting photos and keeping rocking the lens, you have no reason to switch until you decide you have a reason too, even if Zeiss were to come out with a ZM 35mm 1.4-II.

I only switched from my regular 35mm 1.4 to the FLE because of focus shift with my M240, other than that, I was really happy with the first one.

thanks a lot for that comment, it makes a lot of sense.

26881730616_af814c9408_b.jpg
[/url]Jaipur, India by

cheers, michael

Thanks a lot for the comments everybody. I was just looking at some of my photos from India and I specifically remember taking this photo thinking that it was going to be a really interesting photo, but when I got my scans back from the lab, I was a little disappointed with the way it came out.

I just spent some time looking at a couple of photos from this quick scene and I decided that this is the one that I like the most, but to be honest, I'm still not too happy with the way it came out. I took this photo literally 2 hours before I got on my plane to depart India and I was really happy with the way that this scene unfolded in front of me.

26311104843_39bc95ebbd_b.jpg
[/url]Jaipur, India by

cheers, michael

It's a bummer that that scooter is partially covering the lady. And it would look better IMO if the dark building front /entry way was not in the image on the right. A crop..
The monkey on the roof with the lady holding the baby on the pavement is great. I would darken the scene a little but dodge the lady holding the baby. The fact that you were aware to capture this scene reflects on your talents.
If this was a McCurry shot, he would just have his people remove all the distracting elements etc etc.
;)

It's a bummer that that scooter is partially covering the lady. And it would look better IMO if the dark building front /entry way was not in the image on the right. A crop..
The monkey on the roof with the lady holding the baby on the pavement is great. I would darken the scene a little but dodge the lady holding the baby. The fact that you were aware to capture this scene reflects on your talents.
If this was a McCurry shot, he would just have his people remove all the distracting elements etc etc.
;)

haha, that McCurry comment is hilarious. I just went back and looked at some of the other photos from that scene, but I think they are even more distracting elements in them than the one I posted. That is definitely one of the photos that is going to haunt me for a awhile because I really thought I had something that was better than what I actually got. Leson learned.

26612979691_fa849e6347_b.jpg
[/url]Jaipur, India by

cheers, michael

Really beautiful Michael!

Which film was used?

(btw, it seems the links to Flickr are broken)

thanks a lot Taipei-Metro and fer_fdi.

What do you mean the links are broken, fer_fdi ?

Do you mean you can't see the photos or the text hanging off the end of my photos? I am not that computer savvy so if anyone else has any problems viewing these photos please let me know how I can correct it.

cheers, michael

edit : I used Kodak Pro Image 100 on 99% of these photos, there might be one or two shot on Portra 400 but I doubt it. I think I only shot a couple of rolls of Portra 400 on my trip and they were mostly at night and I am not really happy with any of those photos.

2nd edit: thanks splitimageview for that info

The Nikon 35mm 1.4G I have is pretty stunning at least in real actual photographer ( not lens tester ) terms, I would bet you could not tell a heck of a lot of difference when looking at photos like the OP has posted.

The new Zeiss Milvus line is also amazing.

Thanks. I'll look into these.

I was at the Yangon Central Railway Station taking photos and it started to rain, so I just hung around and tried to look for interesting things to photograph. At one point I changed film in one of my cameras and was looking for a trash bin to put the empty plastic canister but I couldn't find one, so I put it on a shelf hoping that a local trash collector would pick it up soon, well about a minute later I saw these two boys collecting rain water with it and using it as a cup. One boy was drinking from the canister and the other boy was using the lid to catch water and drink it. I was able to shoot a couple of photos before the scene ended.
27237868822_d9544c28e5_b.jpg
[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

Yangon by

cheers, michael

Michael, Looking at these photos I doubt whatever lens you use mattered much. Well done!

Michael, Looking at these photos I doubt whatever lens you use mattered much. Well done!

Thanks a lot Ray :)

I shot this one in Nakhon Pathom the other morning. I found out recently that I got a job promotion, so I will be moving back to Bangkok soon. I have been trying to shoot a lot in the small town that I have been living in for the last 2 years and 4 months. I am excited that I will be back in Bangkok, but I will miss this small town for so many reasons.

30155127800_9ff38fe9e7_b.jpg
[/url]Nakhon Pathom by

Nakhon Pathom
Nakhon Pathom by [url[/IMG]

Nakhon Pathom
30155146480_116aec75e1_b.jpg
[/url]Nakhon Pathom by

Nakhon Pathom
Nakhon Pathom by

cheers, michael

One of my good friends out here in Bangkok asked me if I would help him shoot some photos using his Ice-Lights. I was totally out of my element on this shoot. I was using his digital M240 and a Noctilux, but I also had my M6ttl and my 35mm 1.4 Zeiss with me and I managed to shoot a couple of photos on Kodak Pro Image 100 film.

30366413591_ff809fbfbd_h.jpg
[/url]Bangkok by

I had the privilege of taking Arto Saari out for one of my Bangkok Photo Walks and we had an excellent time.
Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

cheers, michael

Back