Zeiss ZX1?

One word - Cyclops

Where is the Super B digital model with a fixed fast fifty pancake Tessar that does 4K video and fits in your front pocket? Better yet give us a digital Contaflex kit. 35 50 85 115 & the monocular & the 1:1.

That's not asking much is it?

That's 100% not true... If you shoot Aperture Priority mode like I do..On my SonyA7R II, I use the Exposure Comp dial all the time..

I use AV a lot with DSLR, I have no exposure comp in use. After I took 100K pictures with this and only camera. I know where and why I have to measure and hold exposure lock. Or I don't mind to take 100001 picture to test the exposure.
And with digital M, while shutter is on A, I measure the light and lock to where I need it to be exposed correctly.

I get what you are saying, but I'm lazy to learn exposure in EV steps on dial.
I just measure with camera, lock and take. Or I just use S16. I usually change aperture to compensate.

I think this is the most gorgeous, modern looking camera in ages, and has wonderful specs. If only it wasn't so big and heavy. It's bigger than the Leica Q for goodness sake.

I happened to be thinking about the Samsung Galaxy NX the day before. It's a NX mount , APS-C camera that ran Android 3.0. Didn't have much physical controls too - as "minimalist" as this one. Not only could it run photo editing apps, but also can post it to Twitter for you. How neat. And it sold for much less. Talks about "revolutionizing the workflow".

The case is...does anyone still remember the camera?

why a zeiss ikon when there's already the m10?
the possibility of a contax t2/t3 type of camera is what came to my mind.

The Contax T3 was/it unique due to the compact feel, lens, construction (I just cannot see that level of craftsmanship in new cameras) and rendering that came from lens and film. It was never matched and cannot be in the digital world.
The closest so far was the Leica X1. The closest in lens design and rendering - the Biogon C 2.8/35mm mounted on any full-frame M. Looks anything like T3 images? No. Fair enough, it does not have to, neither.
Sigma may get close in the future, or Leica with a Monochrom compact.

That Zeiss looks to me like just another digital camera that makes images like the rest. Some will like the images more because it says Zeiss. OK. An M(insert number here) + Ultron will do the same.

I actually just got my Contax T3 out again and sold my FF camera for some APS-C thingy. All looks the same, sensor technology has come to a point where it does not really matter. Bayer filtering/CFA kills whatever theoretical advantage there may be anyways.

According to the announcement on Petapixel, "One unusual feature of the ZX1 is that it has Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC is fully integrated into the camera, allowing photographers to process RAW photos directly." And, "The camera will also utilize over-the-air updates to keep its software up to date without having a computer connection."

So does the " fully integrated" version of Photoshop come with some sort of perpetual licence?

I also wonder what the viewfinder's like.

In any case, maybe Sony RX1R II prices will drop at last!?

Barring reports of crappy battery life, and assuming I'm financial enough for what is to come, I am so in for the ZX1. It's the Sony RX1r II without the Sony badge, with a different lens and sensor, crazy internal storage and an EVF that sounds ridiculously good.

It's the same weight as the Leica M9 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, so that's fine as a primary walkaround camera. The touchscreen interface is only going to be an issue if I want to use EV comp without looking at the screen, as there doesn't seem to be any dials or buttons other than a EV lock.

The Contax T3 was/it unique due to the compact feel, lens, construction (I just cannot see that level of craftsmanship in new cameras) and rendering that came from lens and film. It was never matched and cannot be in the digital world.
The closest so far was the Leica X1. The closest in lens design and rendering - the Biogon C 2.8/35mm mounted on any full-frame M. Looks anything like T3 images? No. Fair enough, it does not have to, neither.

I thought the RX1r would render like a Contax T3. No way. Sure, the images are very high quality, but they don't have the same look as a T3 loaded with Pro400H or even XTRA400. My T3 is my 'memorable moments camera' for when I want something small to capture important times with film.

I do think the ZX1 will be something special, however. It has a new sensor, a new Distagon lens, and shoots DNGs intended for use in Lightroom. Sensor performance should be at least as good as a M240, probably in the same league as a M10.

This is like that Samsung Galaxy camera that was made before some time. Is it just me or is the whole Photokina geared towards making cameras exclusively luxury goods?

Nothing for students and hobbyists e.g. people that might actually use them as tools to make some decent novel smart pictures.

It looks great... sleek and purposeful, like a Konica Hexar. I would prefer one to my X100, although I too wish it were a little less bulky.

I hope one can manually schedule software updates. It would be a bit embarrassing to be taking a photo when camera says no... "updating software... please wait".

This camera with a USB-C SSD pocket drive would be a good combination. As long as the battery lasts.

I hope one can manually schedule software updates. It would be a bit embarrassing to be taking a photo when camera says no... "updating software... please wait".

This camera with a USB-C SSD pocket drive would be a good combination. As long as the battery lasts.

you do realize it's not a satellite connection? You actually need to connect to an available wi-fi network. And you don't have to use embedded LR CC if you don't want to...

This is like that Samsung Galaxy camera that was made before some time. Is it just me or is the whole Photokina geared towards making cameras exclusively luxury goods?

Nothing for students and hobbyists e.g. people that might actually use them as tools to make some decent novel smart pictures.

For that we have Fuji, Sigma, Ilford and Voigtländer. All good.

Back