Zeiss ZX1?

I wouldn't be surprised if the exposure compensation is implemented the way it is in certain smartphone apps like Halide: drag your finger up or down to raise or lower the value. Given the creased shape of the screen, it wouldn't be hard to do with a thumb while your eye is to the viewfinder.

The interface wouldn't be so different from the spinning front dial on the X100F, which I think works brilliantly to control exposure compensation.

the future is not 2 card slots, but 0.

That's the way smartphones are. Actually not quite different from a single card: you don't shoot when it's full, you're screwed once the single card fails, except that this time you can't get it out by yourself.

Interesting, but not for me.

LR built in...I already have my iPhone with editing sw. More than enough for FB, Instagram etc.

More importantly it seems not to have image stabilization.

I love the simplicity of the design, the fast fixed lens, and on-board storage. This is one of a few digital cameras I consider getting, but I read somewhere that the price point is somewhere at $5k.

Competitor to the Leica Q, I guess?

It actually makes more sense than the “way we’ve always done it”, sticking memory cards into a camera from a door which is not water tight and prone to breaking off. Why on earth does that make “the most” sense?

A digital camera is a computer, with a storage drive in it, nothing more. We don’t constantly open a door on the computer to plug hard drives in and out, drives we carry around in little pouches, like drives we drop on the floor and step on while trying to move them from pouch to camera. For whatever reason, ssd drives used in computers are much less frequently prone to corruption than memory cards. Lose the pouch, lose the card reader, lose the cable, that’s nice. The approach Zeiss is taking does seem to have its merits, though some will want to do it the way we’ve always done it for reasons that make sense to them.
Personally, I like it, and it probably is the future. Me liking some potential aspect of the future, that’s unusual.

I love the simplicity of the design, the fast fixed lens, and on-board storage. This is one of a few digital cameras I consider getting, but I read somewhere that the price point is somewhere at $5k.

Competitor to the Leica Q, I guess?

I can’t imagine it would be that high, not sure even Zeiss knows at this point. Though it’s German, so who knows? Though it is made in China which would reduce production costs vis a vis Leica Q.
Hardly worth worrying about until actual pricing is released.

On a lighter note, some might find this analysis interesting:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=785&v=SUTQc4UyX2M

Current advanced phones do have slot for memory card. And in the future it could migrate on two slots. One for general board update (it will be small enough for card slot) and another for memory card slot.

It depends how effective is going to be lostless compression developing and how affordable mobile and cloud plans are going to be.

In meanwhile, I'm going to the park at the edge of fourth largest in NA city and here is no network...

It actually makes more sense than the “way we’ve always done it”, sticking memory cards into a camera from a door which is not water tight and prone to breaking off. Why on earth does that make “the most” sense?

A digital camera is a computer, with a storage drive in it, nothing more. We don’t constantly open a door on the computer to plug hard drives in and out, drives we carry around in little pouches, like drives we drop on the floor and step on while trying to move them from pouch to camera. For whatever reason, ssd drives used in computers are much less frequently prone to corruption than memory cards. Lose the pouch, lose the card reader, lose the cable, that’s nice. The approach Zeiss is taking does seem to have its merits, though some will want to do it the way we’ve always done it for reasons that make sense to them.
Personally, I like it, and it probably is the future. Me liking some potential aspect of the future, that’s unusual.

The lack of memory card slot and the large internal storage was one of the most surprising and interesting aspects of this camera to me. I'll admit to being ambivalent about this upon first reading it - but your post here makes a lot of sense. The more I think about it, the more I think I agree with you. Wireless transfer is pretty solid technology at this point, isn't it? One less opening on our cameras and one less thing to fumble with and/or lose or damage makes a lot of sense to me.

Let's see if this camera is weatherproof then. Actually I'd like to grab one if it is...

6800 RAW, and over 50,000 JPGs. Seems sufficient for most, but won't be surprised to hear someone say it is inadequate for a day's saturation bombing mission.

Back