ZF is here.

Seeing and trying out the Zf made me miss the Df where native Nikkor AiS lenses rule.
I agree. I've had the Zf about a week now - it's really good. Files look great, meter is great, quiet shutter, no real complaints (yes, even the ergonomics are fine for me - it handles like a film camera)...But I pulled out my Df and, man, that camera is just NICE with all my old AI Nikkors. The Zf is best with the native Z lenses (obviously - I have the 40 and the 26), and I suspect with the Cosina Z mount lenses it will be fine, too. But adding the adaptor and an AI lens to it just seems to be...clunky. Totally usable, but why would I do that when I have the Df?

Yes, the weight... 530 g vs 710 g. This is the real difference. My Fuji GFX-50R is 770 g.

The Zf is heavier than FM/FE series cameras but is very comparable to the F2 and F3 in weight. An F2 with an eye level prism weighs 730 g and an F2AS with the latest metered prism weighs 840 g. The F3HP weighed 760 g. So the Zf is actually lighter than those cameras.

Of course the Z series lenses are much larger and heavier than the manual focus F-mount lenses that were used with the F2 and F3. I think most current M-mount lenses are also bigger and heavier than their predecessors, but they sure haven't ballooned up in size and weight as Nikon lenses have. Of course, M-mount lenses don't have autofocus or VR though.

Leica M9 - 585g
Leica M240 - 680g
Leica M10 - 660g
Leica M11 black - 540g

Panasonic G9 - 688g
Panasonic S5 - 714g

Nikon Zf - 710g

The weight difference between the M9 and S5 doesn't bother me at all, I've carried the S5 with a small lens all day and not felt it in any way more than the M9. The Zf is a few grams lighter than the S5, and with a light lens, wouldn't feel any different. I did a shoot over the weekend with the S5 and as much as I love my M9, autofocus is just so handy for quickly capturing subjects. The Zf inherits the autofocus system of the Z8, which is supposed to be excellent.

I hate to say it, but the S5 would not have this rock solid AF in those conditions. Maybe the S5 II would, but I haven't seen any videos like this of the S5 II.

It currently has a street price of AUD $3500, which is no way near Leica money, even secondhand Leica money. Like always, I'll sit on the decision while the early adopter reports come in, but this is such a tempting camera.

Interesting. This reminds me of when Triumph designed fake carburetors to disguise the fuel injection system on their classic line of motorcycles years ago. At the time I imagined such a decision was made to appeal to younger buyers who had been gravitating more towards vintage motorcycles back then. Aside from the fact that we are talking about cameras rather than motorcycles, this would seem to be a very similar situation.

Gavin, I'm looking forward to hearing about your impressions of the camera... especially regarding image quality. I'm currently on the fence between Nikon mirrorless or Fuji GFX.

Interesting. This reminds me of when Triumph designed fake carburetors to disguise the fuel injection system on their classic line of motorcycles years ago. At the time I imagined such a decision was made to appeal to younger buyers who had been gravitating more towards vintage motorcycles back then. Aside from the fact that we are talking about cameras rather than motorcycles, this would seem to be a very similar situation.
Apparently, this appeals to old buyers too… the Zf.

Seeing and trying out the Zf made me miss the Df where native Nikkor AiS lenses rule.
I’m reading in several threads in different forums how a lot of folks wish the Zf had auto aperture for manual focus lenses and a focus motor for the AF D lenses, well that’s exactly what the Df does. They’ve had the answer all along for what they wanted but ignored it.

Although the Df was hugely popular and produced for about 9 years, there was a lot of hate for it on forums including this one because it wasn’t a clone of the FM. Well now the Zf is here but you can forget about full function of manual focus and AF D lenses.

I purchased a Df early on and still have it with a set of AIs primes with no intention of parting with it to buy a Zf. I’m sure the Zf is fantastic but the Df is the solution for prime shooters.

It´s all about style.
The ZF is a handsome camera.
But: While the old lenses are not very functional on the ZF, and the FTZ looks plain ugly on it, most of the new Z-ones also don´t fit stylewise.
I stick to the 780 for manual focus lenses.

I’m reading in several threads in different forums how a lot of folks wish the Zf had auto aperture for manual focus lenses and a focus motor for the AF D lenses, well that’s exactly what the Df does. They’ve had the answer all along for what they wanted but ignored it.
There is a bit of a difference between the size and look of the cameras.
Although the Df was hugely popular and produced for about 9 years, there was a lot of hate for it on forums including this one because it wasn’t a clone of the FM. Well now the Zf is here but you can forget about full function of manual focus and AF D lenses.
Exactly why they are upset... it still isn't what they want. What is wrong with that?
I purchased a Df early on and still have it with a set of AIs primes with no intention of parting with it to buy a Zf. I’m sure the Zf is fantastic but the Df is the solution for prime shooters.
There are many solutions...

It´s all about style.
The ZF is a handsome camera.
But: While the old lenses are not very functional on the ZF, and the FTZ looks plain ugly on it, most of the new Z-ones also don´t fit stylewise.
I stick to the 780 for manual focus lenses.

Hold up, I would argue older lenses are much more functional on the ZF. You've got a huge viewfinder with focus peaking, eye detection that works even with unchipped manual lenses and the ability to punch in on the focus point for focus confirm. IMO the manual focus experience blows the DSLR manual focus experience out of the water.

Add to that, you can get autofocus adapters for Contax G and Leica M mount.

Back