ZF is here.

It´s all about style.
The ZF is a handsome camera.
But: While the old lenses are not very functional on the ZF, and the FTZ looks plain ugly on it, most of the new Z-ones also don´t fit stylewise.
I stick to the 780 for manual focus lenses.
Style won’t make photos will it.

I’m slow I guess but now I’m beginning to understand you need to look stylish. Who cares about those photos as long as you look cool with your camera.

Hold up, I would argue older lenses are much more functional on the ZF. You've got a huge viewfinder with focus peaking, eye detection that works even with unchipped manual lenses and the ability to punch in on the focus point for focus confirm. IMO the manual focus experience blows the DSLR manual focus experience out of the water.

Add to that, you can get autofocus adapters for Contax G and Leica M mount.
While that is true, I think their point is without adapters.

I’m slow I guess but now I’m beginning to understand you need to look stylish. Who cares about those photos as long as you look cool with your camera.

I always find it interesting when people invested in a visual artform disparage others having aesthetic preferences.

I photograph every single day and probably do not look very stylish at 50 years old with my jeans, sneakers and t-shirts, but I do care what a camera looks like and how it feels. I fail to see, in the current camera market where everything works really well, how that could possibly be detrimental to my photography (i.e. buying a camera I think looks good as well as works well).

Looks insulting. To me. Not a thing someone labeled as mentor should post here.

I've owned the Df since the first day they were available, will not be selling it. No problem using it with Manual focus F-Mount lenses, AF-Nikkors, AF-D Nikkors, AF-S Nikkors. I even used an N->F tube with a Nikkor-Q 25cm F4 lens (1952) made for the Nikon Rangefinder Reflex Housing. Worked fine.
I like to set it using the controls. Easy to glance at the top of the camera and see everything all there, easy to change without going through a Menu.

I bought the Z5 to see how I'd like the Nikon Mirrorless system. Amazing- first lens used with it was the Canon 50/0.95 at the skating rink. Hit rate with focus peaking is very high. I've used a lot of lenses on it. No problem focusing a 90/1.5 at an Ice Skating Rink. I do not have any AF lenses for it. This camera was under $1K new. So far- I've probably used $50K of lenses on it.

I'll buy a Zf to get back the controls that I'm used to, that I got with the Df and have with my Leica cameras.

For me: Classic controls are faster and easier to use then taking time out to remember which ill-placed button to press while turning some unmarked thumb-wheel and looking at an LCD.

Stylish. Yeah. That's me all over. I can wear my white Lab coat from work, go to a Halloween party and say "Flux Capacitor" and people will think I'm Doc Brown.

Last edited:
For me: Classic controls are faster and easier to use then taking time out to remember which ill-placed button to press while turning some unmarked thumb-wheel and looking at an LCD.

This is the crux of it for many of us - the classic dial layout is simply more functional. The fact that it is also a pretty design is a welcome bonus.

Thanks. For either, I guess I need an adaptor for the F mount lenses if I want to be able to meter?
Not just to meter but to even mount them - the Z mount is signifcantly larger than the F mount. An adapter like this one:
KF06.372-1-1200x1200.jpg

Will allow you to mount an F mount lens on a Z mount camera. You then manually set your aperture. The EVF will remain more than bright enough to focus and you can either manually set the shutter speed based on the metering or use AP to automatically set it.

This is based on reading the Zf manual, I don't have the money to buy one at this time. I expect I eventually will along with F mount, M mount & S mount adapters.

Hold up, I would argue older lenses are much more functional on the ZF. You've got a huge viewfinder with focus peaking, eye detection that works even with unchipped manual lenses and the ability to punch in on the focus point for focus confirm. IMO the manual focus experience blows the DSLR manual focus experience out of the water.

Add to that, you can get autofocus adapters for Contax G and Leica M mount.
You´re right about the manual focus lenses, but the f-mount af- lenses will loose the af. The D780 does the same as you describe, just not in the vf, display only. Mirror down gives focus confirmation in the optical vf as well.

Looks insulting. To me. Not a thing someone labeled as mentor should post here.
No insult taken, because the mentor completely misses my point. How a camera (not myself) looks and the pictures it takes are different things. Who would not prefer a camera which looks good to him?

Classic controls... a modern dslr or mirrorless is not slower to handle than an oldstyle camera. It´s just that it takes longer to get aquainted to.

You´re right about the manual focus lenses, but the f-mount af- lenses will loose the af. The D780 does the same as you describe, just not in the vf, display only. Mirror down gives focus confirmation in the optical vf as well.
Just the screw drive ones - the AF-S ones with the Nikon adptor with the electronics will do AF just fine. Of course almost all of _my_ AF are screw drive :ROFLMAO:

I swear, this thread is giving me GAS like nuts. I mean, I don't need a new camera, the S5 does pretty much what I need at this time, apart from retro styling and what looks like rock solid AF. The S5 plays well with old SLR and the important M lenses, and the native lens choices are plentiful and high quality. But I'm still drooling over the Zf, haha.

No insult taken, because the mentor completely misses my point. How a camera (not myself) looks and the pictures it takes are different things. Who would not prefer a camera which looks good to him?

Classic controls... a modern dslr or mirrorless is not slower to handle than an oldstyle camera. It´s just that it takes longer to get aquainted to.
So called mentor rude assumptions is direct insult to me.
Since my youngest years I have grown to enjoy industrial art which comes from perfect design. It means nice layout, ergonomic and effectiveness.
I'm mechanical engineer and aeronauts engines engineer by diploma.
It is true what if it doesn't looks elegant, it is not going to fly.

And it is also true what if any tool is nicely done it is inspiring to use it.

I refuse to buy Sony cameras because they are missing something nice in them.
I can't use something utilitarian.
Just like I don't want to ride on bicycle I don't like the look of.

Also, as Canadian, I have grown to try not to insult and try to understand others needs. Instead of rude assumptions.

There are some people that buy things based on how they look. There always have been, probably always will be. Cars, Clothes, Cameras- just a few.
Looking across the top of the Df I can immediately see exposure mode, F-stop, Shutter Speed, exposure compensation, ISO setting, and shooting mode.
Using the Z5- I need to bring up the LCD and look for some of those things.

Parallel transfer of information versus serial transfer. Fast and easy.

When out for a walk, It's always nice to have a young woman riding by in the neighborhood in her convertible to stop to tell you what a nice camera you have. Was my Leica M8. Certainly was not going to stop to tell me how nice I look, proving she has a good eye for aesthetics.

Basically if you make your exposure choices before bringing your camera to your eye, you will prefer a camera with dedicated, clearly marked dials and rings, but if you make your exposure decisions while looking through the VF, you’ll probably prefer PSAM. A top LCD with PSAM helps bring it closer to those who prefer the former. That’s how I see it. I prefer the former way.

There are some people that buy things based on how they look. There always have been, probably always will be. Cars, Clothes, Cameras- just a few.
Looking across the top of the Df I can immediately see exposure mode, F-stop, Shutter Speed, exposure compensation, ISO setting, and shooting mode.

When out for a walk, It's always nice to have a young woman riding by in the neighborhood in her convertible to stop to tell you what a nice camera you have. Was my Leica M8. Certainly was not going to stop to tell me how nice I look, proving she has a good eye for aesthetics.
I left rocket science long time ago to work in the broadcasting. Even for rack mountable broadcasting, data storage equipment they have to come with nice looking, illuminated front panels. It helps to sell, because people always want to look at something nice.

I left rocket science long time ago to work in the broadcasting. Even for rack mountable broadcasting, data storage equipment they have to come with nice looking, illuminated front panels. It helps to sell, because people always want to look at something nice.

RocketScience.jpg

My favorite Coffee Cup. Rocket Science- the 1980s for me. 9Terabytes was a lot of data back then. I was offered my old Job back just a few years ago.
Movie "Hidden Figures", I converted the orbitology code written for that IBM 7090 to run on the PC, then used it to generated animated graphics as it was running. All assembly language and Fortran.

Last edited:

Ya know, I have never really cared about how things look. I am a results guy, and I am willing to forgo/ignore/tolerate things that are different from the old 1950s RF and 1970s SLRs that I grew up using. I like the old cameras, but really love the the old lenses that I can use on my digital Sony, Nikon and Canon mirrorless. I hope that Nikon is successful with the ZF, mostly because it forestalls the takeover of photography in general from cameraphones

Last edited:
Ya know, I have never really cared about how things look. I am a results guy, and I am willing to forgo/ignore/tolerate things that are different from the old 1950s RF and 1970s SLRs that I grew up using. I like the old cameras, but really love the the old lenses that I can use on my digital Sony, Nikon and Canon mirrorless. I hope that Nikon is successful with the ZF, mostly because it forestalls the takeover of photography in general from cameraphones
Who knows. One day a young woman riding in her convertible may stop to laugh at my flip phone.

Back