Zorki 4K - "How to CLA"

It's a great "HOW-TO", wonderfully clear photographs supporting the instructions. Many thanks for taking the time to do this, it will be a great asset to FSU tinkerers.
Dave..

Great thread , plenty of useful information . A must read even if you don't intend stripping your Zorki 4K .

Paul

if anyone in europe wants to try; I have two unused ones gathering dust, one with a stuck shutter.

I was planning of throwing them on the bay but if anyone here wants one, please do PM me an offer.

Wolves, that's absolutely brilliant! You must have spent an incredible amount of time on it: thank you! It's because of guys like you that this site is such a storehouse of help for us novices. Great work!

Is there any other screw that need to be unscrewed on a "regular" Z4? I follow all the instructions and it seems some screws are hidden under the vulcanite...

THANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK's
THANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK'sTHANK's

a great thread! ..thanks.
this should be helpful to a lot of RFF members.
as another forum member already said, this thread must be made into a sticky.

rolleistef said:
Is there any other screw that need to be unscrewed on a "regular" Z4? I follow all the instructions and it seems some screws are hidden under the vulcanite...
Assuming you've removed the wind knob (I don't have a Z4 so I'm assuming you just undo a grub-screw then unscrew the knob off) I don't think they are any different. There are no hidden screws under the covering. What stage have you got to and what's stuck exactly?

Assuming you've removed the wind knob (I don't have a Z4 so I'm assuming you just undo a grub-screw then unscrew the knob off) I don't think they are any different. There are no hidden screws under the covering.

This is exactly correct. Other than the difference between the winding lever on the K and the knob on a regular 4, it all comes apart the same way. I used the tutorial myself just yesterday to CLA my 4 and the instructions were right on. The camera even WORKED after I put it back together!! Wow!

Russ

lubitel said:
Are these instructions also applicable to Zorki 3C? or are these cameras internally very much different?
I don't have a Zorki 3 (yet) so I can't be sure. However, I believe that the 4 is essentially a 3 with a self-timer and flash-synch hence the 3C is essentially the same, so I'd expect them to be very similar. The lever-wind section obviously wouldn't apply to the 3.

Last edited:
Congratulations on these instructions,the work involved in doing the CLA is enough to contemplate,but to document it as well was a great achievement.

Brian.

Just to say thanks to everyone for the positive reactions. The Zorki 4/4K seems to be a pretty common camera and I could find little of use on the net when it came to the workings. I bought one that needed a CLA, so why not share the experience. Hopefully people are finding it useful!

I'm thinking of a similar article or articles on one or two others...Any requests? Bear in mind I have Zorki 1/5/6 and FED 1/2b/3a. I refuse to play with the Kiev 4 though - it's working fine and I think it's a bit daunting anyway!

I would like to see a CLA guide for the Zorki 1! That's an undertaking I've been contemplating on for some time now. Being a newcomer to the whole RF business all help would be most welcome.

With the winter coming, I really need to remove the old lubes from the gears and such to prevent jams... I know there's Jay Fedka's guide on his site, but I'd like to see your approach on the matter as well.

Back