Zorki 4K - "How to CLA"

Thanks very much for the help KnipsOmat.

I'm used to working on delicate electronic assemblies (professional microphones) so I'll have a look at your suggestions.

I'll be very careful when tightening the screws in the alloy.

In the electronics world we use isopropyl alcohol for degreasing, so I'll probably try that instead of lighter fluid, once I can get at the focussing mechanism.

Thanks for this wonderful how-to, hopefully I won't need it - my new Zorki 4 is working well so far (and has the honor of being very nearly my first film camera and first rangefinder).

I've gathered all the posts and pictures into a PDF that can be found on my Google Drive.
For backup purposes, here's a link to it on my Dropbox.

Best,
David

Thanks for this wonderful how-to, hopefully I won't need it - my new Zorki 4 is working well so far (and has the honor of being very nearly my first film camera and first rangefinder).

I've gathered all the posts and pictures into a PDF that can be found on my Google Drive.
For backup purposes, here's a link to it on my Dropbox.

Best,
David

Nice PDF!
You may find some more info of interest in this thread (if needed I can provide some more detailed pictures):
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151313

Thank you so much for the link to the pdfs! They will provide great help when I set about cla-ing a "cousin" (Zenit -S, well, C in Cyrillic).
Best regards to all!

Thank you for the guide!

I searched the interweb but didn't manage to find someone with the same problem I had. Yesterday my Zorki 4k arrived and I really like the camera. I shot 1 1/2 films with it the same day because I had one day off.

Unfortunately nearly half of the developed images had massive light leaks, for example:

whatsappimage2018-079vcl3.jpeg

I suspected the 1/125 because I used it a lot. I checked it on the camera and saw the problem: The second curtain stops at about 90% of the way it has to travel to close the shutter. If I push it gently towards the lens from the back, it's free and travels the rest of the way. I just made a quick check and all shutter speeds, even the slow ones and 1/60, seem to work fine. Does someone has an idea what could cause the problem? I don't want to take more apart than I have to…

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the guide!

I searched the interweb but didn't manage to find someone with the same problem I had. Yesterday my Zorki 4k arrived and I really like the camera. I shot 1 1/2 films with it the same day because I had one day off.

Unfortunately nearly half of the developed images had massive light leaks, for example:

whatsappimage2018-079vcl3.jpeg

I suspected the 1/125 because I used it a lot. I checked it on the camera and saw the problem: The second curtain stops at about 90% of the way it has to travel to close the shutter. If I push it gently towards the lens from the back, it's free and travels the rest of the way. I just made a quick check and all shutter speeds, even the slow ones and 1/60, seem to work fine. Does someone has an idea what could cause the problem? I don't want to take more apart than I have to…

Thanks in advance!
Hard to be certain but looks pretty likely to need a CLA. If the second curtain fails to close, either something is blocking it (dirt, film chips, dried up lubricant or a mis-adjusted curtain brake) or there's a mechanical fault. If other speeds work ok, chances are it's not a mechanical issue. It might be that the curtain tension rollers are set with too low a tension or the springs are tired but you should not increase the tension without investigating. Doing so may fix the problem for now but it will only delay the inevitable CLA and put excessive stress on the mechanics.

Either follow the guide or, if you aren't happy doing that, send it out for a CLA. If you do it yourself, pay particular attention the the curtain drum, tension rollers and restrictor gear and check the curtain brake/latch (in the bottom of the camera) - these are the most suspect.

Back