How old were you when you got your first Leica?

Mid 40s. I'd hankered after one for years but hadn't been able to afford one. I bought an M6 with 0.72 finder but got to hate the film loading mechanism and sold it after about a year. Regretted it instantaneously and have recently bought an M6TTL and M4-P. I still prefer SLR-style film loading but love the Leica glass and general feel / discrete nature of a RF.

33. My M6 is my first and only Leica. Unless I come across a vast quantity of money enough for a digi M then that is all I need.

22. Leica's deals for PJs on gear that was used at the 1984 Summer Olympics was too much for me to pass up.

I was 16 or 17. It was a M4, and beautiful. I traded it away years later, but I now wish that I had kept it.

It was just last year, at age 28. Got a used Minolta CL...which quickly turned into an M3 and M6. The CL has moved on, but the M6 and M3 are here to stay.

For a brief time in 1972 I had a IIIc but the viewfinder was too squinty and I quickly resold it. I was 23 at the time. Fast forward to 2010, at 61 decided to sell some stuff and buy myself a retirement present, an M4-2 and a couple of CV lenses, a 21 f4 and 35 f2.5 with a 90 f4 Elmar added a little later. Now all I want is a 50 to round out the set but prices are stratospheric (for me) except for the FSU glass. I'll probably just roll the dice and order a I-61 from Yuri, I already have the adapter for the 50 frame lines.

I was 26, recently out of the military, and pleased with my new job at Boeing... I got a 9-year-old button-rewind M2 ($150) and a new 35 Summicron v.1 ($164.50) to join my Spotmatic and H3v. I was set! Done! Errrr.... :eek:

I was 33, a year after I got my 1st RFs (Zeiss Ikon Contessa & Contax IIa) & a year & a half after I got my 1st "serious" camera w/interchangeable lenses (Kyocera Contax G2).

I had access to a IIIc when I was very young, maybe from age 9 onwards. I was mainly a Nikon shooter though until I bought my own M6 TTL in my early 30s.

38. Last year. First came the CL, working meter. Then what I consider my first Leica. M6 Classic + E46 50 Summilux.

Both from Craigslist (separate purchases) and combined, both for less than $900.

Why? Bought a Canon AE1 from a neighbor and shot some rolls with nice results. Didn't love how large it is, nor the shutter priority all that much, but thought I'd try the medium format next. Yashicamat 124 was fun, different, nice results, but a bit bulky yet. Read about rangefinders and how small they are. Thought I'd try that on for size.

Started with the usual fixed lens RF suspects (Yahshica CC, Oly 35SP, Konica Auto S3, Contax T ) then went for more automated with a Hexar AF, Contax G1 + lenses, Contax G2 + lenses, Konica Big Mini, Yashica T4 Super and others. Always thought the Leica stuff was out of reach. when I finally realized how much money I had actually spent on working and non-working fixed lens RFs I said "what the hell? Go for the Leica when the price is right." I waited and the price was finally right.

Still have most of that stuff, minus the G1/duplicate lenses, T4 Super and Contax T.

Thought the M6 + Summilux would be the end of my 35mm GAS, but picked up a battered old Contax T2 that still works a charm, plus a couple other impulse buys that don't work. The CLE I got off the auction site works beautifully, but I'm not sure I love it enough.

Did get a nice deal on an Olympus Pen FT + 38/1.8 recently. That ones fun in a different way and works pretty darn well. Another Craigslist find. Come to think of it, that G2 + lenses was also a Craigslist find, but not local - it was in Boston, I'm in Seattle!

All along, I've had a few medium format cameras, too. Yashicamat 124, Fuji GA645, Rolleicord IV, Mamiya New 6 that needs shutter work and most recently a Fujica GS645 that needs a new bellows. I'm most excited to the get the Mamiya and GS645 working and in full rotation.

Sorry all. That was long. Guess it all boils down to stumbling over some great deals and curiosity what all the hype was about. Turns out the hype is justified! Now I'm thinking Digital M or RD1. Is it RFF yard sale time?

I was 36 and had saved like mad for years. there always seemed to be something frivolous like food and clothes that needed to be bought instead. ! I am now 50 and have the same black M6 classic with 3 lenses. the only thing I would trade it for is a brand new MP but I may have to give up eating for that one :-D !!

23, I think! Leica IIIc. Well, actually was 19, when my father bought a second hand digilux zoom, but I think the question was for film!

Back