100 pictures from the last two days in istanbul

hi simon, our man in istanbul!

what about the standing man protests going on now? did you take pictures? it´s getting harder to find informations now, as the big media turn away from the not so spectacular scenes.

hi simon, our man in istanbul!

what about the standing man protests going on now? did you take pictures? it´s getting harder to find informations now, as the big media turn away from the not so spectacular scenes.

I was just thinking the same thing. The media here is strangely silent on Turkey lately. Update us when you can Simon.

Dutch news now focuses on the protests in Brasil, where people have taken to the streets to protest the increase of daily prices while the government is investing heavily in the Soccer World Cup and the upcoming Olympics.

I agree that Turkey needs the worlds attention, even more so than Brasil needs it since protest still is very large-scaled and in-your-face in Brasil.

Editors these days have very sensitive antennae and whole departments in some of the larger newspapers trawl the web, trying to assess what the newspaper's target market is thinking. If they decide that the public has lost interest, for whatever reason, they spike the story and move on to the next one.

there are many many pictures of standing protests out there. i was not there when the guy started it (i was on the anatolian side for two days, saw it on tv), but i know there were quite a few photographers covering it. personally i was very happy to take advantage of the days without violent clashes to take a break and focus on my university papers, all due tomorrow; what little i shot during the last 3 days was done on film mostly.
went to taksim for the first time since sunday yesterday, there's a number of people standing and staring at the flags, took some pictures but as i said, all on film. a lot of police everywhere but they are less aggressive at the moment.
this is far from over, it just entered another phase. the protest has decentralised, which is a good thing in my opinion as the government tried to turn the debate back to the park and 'a few trees' in order to divert attention from the actual, deeper issues (and lies, and crimes, and...). the "restoration" they started on gezi park (more and new trees, lawn, etc.) is nice for the park itself, but politically it is nothing but a farce or a bad joke. a very transparent and shallow strategy.
people are holding forums in other parks pretty much every evening / night now, a friend of mine has been covering these a bit.

i have an appointment for extension of my residence permit tomorrow (at the police station, go figure), and said papers to hand in. after that i might report more again.

this stuff is doing the rounds online.
b1fe6ab8d91911e2b45022000a1fb3cd_7.jpg

thank you! coverage from somebody like you is much more authentic to me than reading a complete stranger´s words or seeing his pics. always have an eye on your work.......

There is less shown in the media because of the middle east political plans. Turkey is a major player.

Tonight there is a walk starting at 7pm. We will bring flowers to Taksim square.

Will the police water them for us?

Yes, exactly...

As expected police attacked once again to a peaceful meeting last night. They attacked to the people who were carrying only cloves. The meeting was for a memorial meeting.

In memory of those who lost their lives during the resistance. (Social media illustration)

2bzi3p.jpg

The link is updated...
http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com

Dutch press reports that Erdogan claims that the protests in Turkey and in Brazil are instigated by the same unnamed foreign nation.

How daft is that?

I suppose this means the Polis obliged.

They obliged. I think the red tape on my T3 made it look like a flower and they took the opportunity to refresh me along with my "plant."

Then asking for safe route to a policeman and pretending to be a tourist, we got a "Welcome to Turkey."

I don't think he was sarcastic.

Back