100 pictures from the last two days in istanbul

there are innumerable videos and photographs of extreme police violence, the health ministry gave out warnings that all health professionals helping protestors will be prosecuted (guardian), police and the akp are calling protestors 'terrorists' (i was stopped asked by police whether i was a terrorist yesterday, was lucky talking my way out of it without having my gear confiscated or being arrested), i had to sneak my way out of a hospital with a friend because there was police in the building looking for people who were injured in the protests, lawyers have been dragged out of a courthouse and arrested because they took a stand for protesters, a lot of people (including international media) still claim that Ethem Sarısülük was killed by an unfortunate hit to the head from a gas grenade even though there is obvious proof (videos, pictures) that he was shot by a policeman with his handgun (don't even ask me about his autopsy or funeral, google it), people got money and free transport in order to go tayyip's show yesterday, there are substantial doubts that the people who started throwing molotovs at tomas on tuesday were actual protesters, ...
the list goes on and on.

there are innumerable videos and photographs of extreme police violence, the health ministry gave out warnings that all health professionals helping protestors will be prosecuted (guardian), police and the akp are calling protestors 'terrorists' (i was stopped asked by police whether i was a terrorist yesterday, was lucky talking my way out of it without having my gear confiscated or being arrested), i had to sneak my way out of a hospital with a friend because there was police in the building looking for people who were injured in the protests, lawyers have been dragged out of a courthouse and arrested because they took a stand for protesters, a lot of people (including international media) still claim that Ethem Sarısülük was killed by an unfortunate hit to the head from a gas grenade even though there is obvious proof (videos, pictures) that he was shot by a policeman with his handgun (don't even ask me about his autopsy or funeral, google it), people got money and free transport in order to go tayyip's show yesterday, there are substantial doubts that the people who started throwing molotovs at tomas on tuesday were actual protesters, ...
the list goes on and on.

As much as I admire and support your dedication, all of this underlines just how lucky you have been, and I don't think I'd be the only one enraged if anything should happen to you.

I've been involved in protests myself (way before I thought of ever bringing a camera) years ago and I know how things can turn really bad in less than a minute.

I don't know if being a EU foreigner in Turkey would help in the eyes of the government. I know it's hard balancing the need to document, the need to participate, and simply thinking about oneself (i.e. staying safe).

This doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon if Eldo-whats-his-face does the macho thing (like in neighbouring Syria) and decides force rather than compromise is in his best interests (evidently best interests of the majority of the population is not on the table).

Stay safe.

Simon, respect for what you are doing.

Keep safe and live to tell the tale. The policemen in the video are on edge, this can go either way.

Wim

gabriel, of course you are right. i was more lucky a couple of times than you would think, more than i would have thought myself. i also have other urgent things to take care of, but i can't just ignore what is happening around me, in front of my doorstep...
keep checking the news from different sources, there is a lot going on every hour of the day

Hi Simon

I'm following with great interest and concern.
Nothing really new, but ...

1- Please stay safe. with the levels of frustration apparently rising, be on the safe side.

2- IF 1 is checked, please continue to report.

Thanks again for your efforts

oh ****, i have been shooting for about one or two hours with this guy yesterday in the early afternoon. i told him to stick with me (because he had a press card and i knew the area and situation). this is how he ended up shortly after we got separated.
http://www.gazzettadelsud.it/news/e...r-arrested--beaten-during-Istanbul-demos.html
the lad had only been here for three days.

Oh man! Watch your back, Simon. Things will get much worse than they are now. This is a life threatening situation now, so you be extra careful.

Hi Simon,

enjoy bearing witness to the "Free Republic of Taksim" - I enjoy knowing that you are there. Beyond the political tam-tam, the police and may be the military, it is nice to see the all human aspect, the in-between, the conscience of being equals in between equals (including the police and the military - including may be even Tayyip) that constitutes this "Republic".
May your pictures tell its story.

Watch out! In our region things get really ugly very quickly.
This night in Sofia from a peaceful protest things escalated to exchanging water bottles and stones between protesting people and nationalistic party members.

Dear Simon,

There have been numerous activities all around the world to support our resistance and they all showed that fighting against fascism is not one nations problem. Even police brutality increases day by day, our resistance and creativity for resistance increases too. During the whole process there is one thing I admired the most; it is your effort. You stayed here, observed, recorded, reported and told the story behind all of this. So, I personally thank you for your bravery and great work.

Herby I also want to thank all of RFF members who commented on this topic and support (or at least try to understand) us.

But there is one other thing I need to warn you, Simon; as you can imagine, if you get arrested; you will be blamed as provocateur from outside of the country. So you need to be extra careful. If such a thing happens, do not talk to the police, just tell them to call your embassy. Even lawyers are getting arrested these days, they have to call a lawyer for you. If they "provide" a lawyer; ask an ID (they may be police too) and if there are some other people you can get confirmation for ID, ask them too. These are important. Be careful.

Taylan has my phone number. You can get the number from him. If you have any kind of trouble, you can call me. I have several lawyer friends. I will do my best to help you.

But anyway... Let's hope noone ever has trouble anymore... Stay safe.

I agree with the posting above.

If I were in your position, I would have the phone number of the German Embassy in my phone and ready to call, Simon. In fact, I would today email or call them while I still can do it.

I agree with the posting above.

If I were in your position, I would have the phone number of the German Embassy in my phone and ready to call, Simon. In fact, I would today email or call them while I still can do it.

thanks, but i did all that a couple of days ago already. they have my details.

just so people don't have to go through the thread's pages again, here's the flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonsawsunlight/sets/72157633873575777/

Very good. It can be a matter of seconds to send them your alarm message.
Better be safe than be sorry.
When I went to Egypt, I also did such a thing and had the State Department informed.

Back