100 pictures from the last two days in istanbul

There is a thin line between a freedom fighter and a terrorist.
On the other hand, a strong image about this same person is welcome any time.

Don't go into history or politics here, please. The thread is mainly about freedom of expressing FREE your believes . That is the essence of a civilized society.

The oldest news site in Bulgaria has a tradition to question people on important questions in public life. These days the question is "Do you support protests in Turkey?".
85.63% answered "Yes".
(http://dnes.dir.bg/ereferendum/anketar.php?id=486)
Our politicians are silent as fish, but people admire your spirit and will.

So relief to know that Mike and yet Bulgaria was the country always loved supported Turkish people right? My grandparents migrated from Bulgaria, guess why? People must be careful what they post in here. I am sorry but I could not hold in.

Everybody is commenting on what they want, that is good, you are free to do so but re-state your sentences so that people know that those are your opinions not the facts.

Turkey has one of the biggest economies in the region right now and is in bad shape right now due to the instability cause by the so called demonstrations. Is that what you want?

Our common history is too big. I had a very close friend which family took the "excursion" in '90. That was the most disgusting thing komunist did. I still miss him and hope he lives well in Istanbul. Past should stay in the past for the benefit of our children! History is to remember, but not to live in. Our region is heavy with history and contradictions. I don't want another Serbia conflict. Peaceful ways, people!
I hope our friends in Istanbul are alright after this night.

9056734092_d0b1e316f5_z.jpg

9056733630_7f23553f8f_z.jpg

protesters talking to the press in front of divan hotel, after police cleared gezi park of protesters and surrounded them there.

9056734390_9642c4fc43_z.jpg

police forces in gezi park, tear gas.

9056734750_9848c64703_z.jpg

in an emergency room of a hospital, just after police attacked in taksim and gezi.

9054517731_68fc49341d_z.jpg

a man is protesting naked in front of a toma (water cannon truck) and an armoured police vehicle used to shoot plastic bullets and tear gas, way beyond the safety of the front line barricade and crowd on istiklal.

9057110598_cd411887be_z.jpg

running from water cannon, teargas and plastic bullets in a side street of istiklal. i feel that police are using plastic bullets more than before. they smash windows with ease and can do serious damage to a person.

Best shots in this thread all are Simons. Impressive stuff, once again. Show the world, Simon!

Best quote in this thread is Mike's: History is to remember, but not to live in.

Hat's off to you Simon, be careful.

Mike, I've been to Bulgaria twice and love your country.

There is no solace from power abuse and stupidity anywhere it seems :D

Folks, the RFF all seeing eye (i.e. the RFF moderator team) has its gaze firmly fixed on this thread, and with the comments in the last few hours, the boundaries are starting to be pushed. In the interest of keeping this thread alive and well, lets try and stay focused on the photos and events portrayed therein.

Good luck, keep bringing us the news, and stay safe, Simon!

UK news media are portraying the protests as over now. It's important to keep the message coming that it isn't.

This is not a "Turkish Spring", so to speak. It is a divided nation.

That's my impression, too.

It would be interesting to see images that reflect the other half of that division. For instance, are the, for want of an alternative term, "pro-Erdogan" faction mounting counter demonstrations? Are they feeling threatened by what seem to be turning into riots?

Without balance, a stream of images, of this nature, could be seen as propaganda, which I think would be unfortunate.

Back