Other Areas Alexandria, VA area meet and greet?

Well right now that seems fine for me... Of course I know something will always come up but lets hope it works out.

Thanks for putting this together....

wbill

I hope to be spending the day with my son for his birthday on the 27th. But y'all have a good time and I'll catch you at the next GTG.

27th looks do able for me. I will be driving up from Richmond and would prefer not having to go all the way into DC as I get lost every time but will do whatever works for most.
John

Now that we have a date, what about a place... If we do lost dog they are not that close to Metro, however I could pick up 1 or 2 at Metro if needed..... That is at the one near East Falls Church.

wbill

The 27th sounds good to me. My vote would be for a location that's in the general area of a metro stop, (1/4-1/2 mile) As I prefer to park at the Francia Springfield metro station and ride the metro in from their since they have plenty of free parking on the weekend.

remember, he's talking about a DC-referenced time vs distance calculation! something I avoid at all costs. Go around beltway to entry point nearest to destination, enter, exit ASAP! works every time.

Super far away haha! I'm fine with meeting more or less anywhere really. I work in Alexandria but commute there from north of the College Park area...

I didn't know the Leica store had a regular thing going. I still have not made it down there yet, but I should go some time in the near future.

More of a mental block. I grew up in MD & live in DC, so VA is an entirely different world in my lizard brain, even though I know that geographically much of NoVA is closer to the Capitol than parts of DC proper.

remember, he's talking about a DC-referenced time vs distance calculation! something I avoid at all costs. Go around beltway to entry point nearest to destination, enter, exit ASAP! works every time.

understood. I've lived in MD all my life, and more or less grew up hanging out in Annandale and Falls Church. DC has always seemed dead-set against the idea of getting from one place to another efficiently and having a place to park once you do. mixed-use development seems to have the same effect tho - I'm right down the street from the newish 'Rockville Town Center' but can't imagine working, living, or shopping there.

I can provide metro shuttle service on the 27th if I can make it that day - will let everyone know as soon as I do.

More of a mental block. I grew up in MD & live in DC, so VA is an entirely different world in my lizard brain, even though I know that geographically much of NoVA is closer to the Capitol than parts of DC proper.

I guess we're pretty much opposites, as I'm a city person (by choice, not birth) & you sound like my brother (suburban guy). Any place where you can efficiently get around by car + plenty of parking usually = a place I wouldn't want to live or visit.

But I think we agree about the newish Rockville Town Center, only for me it's not urban enough (though it's better than the original Rockville Mall & associated buildings that it replaced).

understood. I've lived in MD all my life, and more or less grew up hanging out in Annandale and Falls Church. DC has always seemed dead-set against the idea of getting from one place to another efficiently and having a place to park once you do. mixed-use development seems to have the same effect tho - I'm right down the street from the newish 'Rockville Town Center' but can't imagine working, living, or shopping there.

I can provide metro shuttle service on the 27th if I can make it that day - will let everyone know as soon as I do.

As far as I know now, I can make the 27 Oct meeting. I can meet anywhere in the DC Metro area. I will try to bring my son-in-law with me as well. I don't know what most people prefer, photos, gear talk, or a combo. DC and the surrounding areas have a lot of tourist type areas, as well as a few hidden gems. Even the Mall has a lot of outdoor art that most people never see. Eating places would be a little expensive though.

Anywhere in NoVA is fine since that is where I live. Alexandria also has some photogenic places I guess, but I don't get around there much. And of course, just meet and greet with gear fondling is always fun too.

Anyway, whatever the majority of others want will be fine with me. Should I plan on bringing 35mm, MF, and LF, all miniturized of course? ;-)

Back