Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

That is why I do not understand why they bothered giving those samples. Either show something good, or show nothing.

The slight softness I found in the samples, could it be attributed to a slightly missed focus (not of the image, but the scanner's focus)? I just see a huge file, totally unnecessary super resolution, and quite lacking in sharpness, even after processing it.

I think one thing can be said from the scans: The film is held flat.

Grain is as soft in all parts of the image, so at least that's something. But no matter how much you sharpen the grain looks softer than what a Coolscan produces without any sharpening...

So either:
a) scanner is out of focus or
b) the lens is very soft

In any case based on those samples I wouldn't pay any more from the scanner than from Epson V700. If I had to use $2000 I'd rather buy a used Nikon D800(E) :)

The only comment I can make is that is seems rather silly that in all these months, Plustek has not been able to source some quality 120 negatives (b/w and color) for their testing.

Besides... How can they even build a scanner without testing it?

Very curious.

More likely that Marketing dept is not very pro and also doesn't have any idea what's happening inside the house. In other words very poor communication within Plustek :)

I sent Plustek an email a few days ago asking when the 120 will be available in Australia and who might stock it.

I got all the information I needed and a genuine apology for the delay of it's release.

B&H says Nov 5th for delivery.

Keep in mind if you still think the scans are soft that it's basically the same as pixel peeping. At 300ppi you're looking at a 37" high print. That's pretty damn big for Tri-X in a Rolleiflex T.

I see it's listed at B&H for $2000, available in November.

That's a trifle steep, but if I find myself using the Bessa III enough, I'll go for one sometime next year. It's simply great to see that it's available at all. :)

indeed. The samples are way good enough for all I do. This will replace my Nikon 4000 and Epson 4490 for sure.

Q: What is the actual resolution of the scanner?
A: Early production scanners were analyzed by LaserSoft Imaging using USAF 1951 targets and found to have a resolution of 5300 dpi.
a) That much resolution based on the USAF 1951 target is great news.
b) Why not just use those target scans as samples?

There are samples now available. But since you can't go so far as to find them yourselves I'm not gonna help you out. Keep complaining. It's wonderfully productive.

There are samples now available. But since you can't go so far as to find them yourselves I'm not gonna help you out. Keep complaining. It's wonderfully productive.

I don't post much, but lurk plenty, all I can say is... what? The samples were posted in this thread, do you have different samples? I want this scanner to succeed, but for a scanner that is supposed to ship to consumers next month, do you really feel that 3 arguably mediocre samples is enough information to make a $2000 decision? That wanting color samples or resolution results is in someway complaining? I'd also like to know how the film was developed, because I believe that might help me decide if the film, camera, and developer combo are being reproduced faithfully in the scan. Surely you don't really believe that wanting these things is "complaining"? :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to my usual lurking.

I don't post much, but lurk plenty, all I can say is... what? The samples were posted in this thread, do you have different samples? I want this scanner to succeed, but for a scanner that is supposed to ship to consumers next month, do you really feel that 3 arguably mediocre samples is enough information to make a $2000 decision?

AFAIK it's quite unusual that a film scanner manufacturer posts any examples at all, so everyone please stop complaining and whining. You don't have to buy the scanner the day it pops up in the shops. As soon as it does, there will be enough first hand reviews and examples by users all over the web. And I am quite sure that filmscanner.info will have their usual review up a couple of days after the unit is available. They have reviewed more or less every consumer or semi-pro film scanner worth mentioning that came out in the last decade or so and these guys actually know what they're doing. So take a deep breath and wait a couple of weeks and you will be able to make an informed decision :)

AFAIK it's quite unusual that a film scanner manufacturer posts any examples at all, so everyone please stop complaining and whining. You don't have to buy the scanner the day it pops up in the shops. As soon as it does, there will be enough first hand reviews and examples by users all over the web. And I am quite sure that filmscanner.info will have their usual review up a couple of days after the unit is available. They have reviewed more or less every consumer or semi-pro film scanner worth mentioning that came out in the last decade or so and these guys actually know what they're doing. So take a deep breath and wait a couple of weeks and you will be able to make an informed decision :)

+1

I agree with the above statement - just wait a few more weeks then we can all make a much more informed judgement on the scanner.

For myself, after having just bought my first 120 film camera, I am seriously looking into this scanner. it's not cheap so I will be eagerly reading reviews as and when they come out before I make any decisions.

Just to be clear, I was responding to SaveKodak's wording in particular. I scan on a professional Eversmart scanner and am in no hurry to replace it. He/she acted as if they had all the answers and could not be bothered to share them with anyone with lesser internet skillz. I don't personally see asking/wanting for more samples as complaining. If the consumer branded scanner manufacturers would give honest figures then we could make easier buying decisions, but they usually don't. When a new digital camera is announced people expect to see samples, why should scanner manufacturers be held to different standards?

Back