Beware Facebook's New Terms of Service

You're being so charitable! I gave you an example, it was used as click bait, not an ad but a link to a site with a bunch of ads. Do you not think facebook's management and ceo spend 99% of their time trying to make money off you, and that this is exactly how they attempt it? Do you think they didn't decide how they wanted to do that, and THEN write the new TOS? That's how business works, they don't just flop around trying to avoid lawsuits. Time to pay more attention, imo.

Sorry, did you show the link before? Its' not one of the ones in your signature?

If someone grabbed you image off FB and used it to point to ads, even as click bait, did they do that with FB's permission, or did they just do it? They can always do a screen capture of your image...

Randy

I kind of figured that, it is a control thing, you don't like it so no one else should use it, and if they do they are stupid, sort of thing? :cool:

Lol, now you're just trying to piss me off, it worked. No matter, I know your angle.

It's the principle of the thing.

You want to build the barricades for something you are free not to join??
I envy you.
I keep that kind of flame for systems that actually trap me, and that have an actual influence on my life, or the ones I care.
facebook shmacebook... :rolleyes:

I envy you.
I keep that kind of flame for systems that actually trap me, and that have an actual influence on my life, or the ones I care.

Sorry for cutting through the bullsh!t, man. Maybe there's something on tv?

I envy you.
So... People who chose not to buy slaves had no right to talk about the iniquities of slavery?

Cheers,

R.

Personally I am a lot more interested in neutrality of access on the web, which is now in court than a few facebook adjacent ads.

Yeah I know about that, maybe you should start a thread on that huh? I'm not tying to pick on you in particular, though.

So... People who chose not to buy slaves had no right to talk about the iniquities of slavery?

Cheers,

R.

Roger,

slavery? really?
I don't see the parallel.
Every single FB user is free to leave.

FB policy may be unfair, creepy, etc. but it's still only an online service, and a volontary one at that.
I am just asking for some proportions here, considering the level of hate of Ranchu.
(damn, I can't believe I defend the thing. It's really not my cup of tea)

Roger,

slavery? really?
I don't see the parallel.
Every single FB user is free to leave.

FB policy may be unfair, creepy, etc. but it's still only an online service, and a volontary one at that.
I am just asking for some proportions here, considering the level of hate of Ranchu.
(damn, I can't believe I defend the thing. It's really not my cup of tea)
Dear Michael,

Slavery was voluntary too, unless you were a slave. Every slaveholder was free to manumit his slaves.

Look, I'm not manning the barricades or fire-bombing Facebook headquarters. In other words, I do have a sense of proportion. Trying to make others realize that Facebook is creepy, greasy, dishonest, etc., via mild-mannered observations on an internet forum, does not strike me as a disproportionate response.

Cheers,

R.

...voluntary, unless you were a slave.

Dear Roger

sorry, you lost me here. :)

seriously, people that think the first guy to cut them on the road is a nazi rub me the wrong way. proportions...

There are lots of ways I am affected by moron decision makers that decide how much taxes I should pay, and what subpar education and health care my kids will get in return. facebook? well, ok, they are bad, really bad.
I'm happy that there are some ways to cope with the doomsday scenario drawn here, and no actual "smoking gun" that they will actually put my face on an add for condoms.

Dear Roger

sorry, you lost me here. :)

seriously, people that think the first guy to cut them on the road is a nazi rub me the wrong way. proportions...

There are lots of ways I am affected by moron decision makers that decide how much taxes I should pay, and what subpar education and health care my kids will get in return. facebook? well, ok, they are bad, really bad.
I'm happy that there are some ways to cope with the doomsday scenario drawn here, and no actual "smoking gun" that they will actually put my face on an add for condoms.
Yes, but the problem here is that the people who complain most about paying taxes are often the ones that whine most about underfunded schools and poor health care. I don't know, of course, how you feel about paying a reasonable level of taxes.

How did I lose you? A major disgrace (slavery) deserves major reactions. A minor disgrace (Facebook) deserves proportionate reactions, e.g. Trying to make others realize that Facebook is creepy, greasy, dishonest, etc., via mild-mannered observations on an internet forum, does not strike me as a disproportionate response.

There is no real inconsistency in pointing out that even if someone does not partake of a particular perversion -- be it as major as slavery or as minor as Facebook -- they still have the right (and arguably the duty) to make their feelings known in the hope of influencing others.

It is typical of the internet to fail to distinguish between parallels (which can be a long way apart, such as slavery and Facebook) and the meaningless use of terms of opprobrium, such as calling someone a Nazi for cutting you off in traffic. Unless perhaps it's a KdF Volkswagen, and I doubt that many of those are still being driven by Nazis or neo-Nazis. I mean, WHY would a Nazi cut you up any more willingly than a communist, born-again Christian, atheist or vegetarian?

Another symptom of internet exaggeration is the characterization of mild dislike or exasperation as "hate" and the use of "love" when "admiration" might be more appropriate, such as "Where is the Hasselblad love?" Nowhere. It's a camera. Anyone who really loves a camera is mentally ill, even though we may all say, "I love Nikon Fs" [or whatever] if we're talking idly.

Cheers,

R.

Yes, but the problem here is that the people who complain most about paying taxes are often the ones that whine most about underfunded schools and poor health care. I don't know, of course, how you feel about paying a reasonable level of taxes.

How did I lose you? A major disgrace (slavery) deserves major reactions. A minor disgrace (Facebook) deserves proportionate reactions, e.g. Trying to make others realize that Facebook is creepy, greasy, dishonest, etc., via mild-mannered observations on an internet forum, does not strike me as a disproportionate response.

There is no real inconsistency in pointing out that even if someone does not partake of a particular perversion -- be it as major as slavery or as minor as Facebook -- they still have the right (and arguably the duty) to make their feelings known in the hope of influencing others.

It is typical of the internet to fail to distinguish between parallels (which can be a long way apart, such as slavery and Facebook) and the meaningless use of terms of opprobrium, such as calling someone a Nazi for cutting you off in traffic. Unless perhaps it's a KdF Volkswagen, and I doubt that many of those are still being driven by Nazis or neo-Nazis. I mean, WHY would a Nazi cut you up any more willingly than a communist, born-again Christian, atheist or vegetarian?

Another symptom of internet exaggeration is the characterization of mild dislike or exasperation as "hate" and the use of "love" when "admiration" might be more appropriate, such as "Where is the Hasselblad love?" Nowhere. It's a camera. Anyone who really loves a camera is mentally ill, even though we may all say, "I love Nikon Fs" [or whatever] if we're talking idly.

Cheers,

R.
Roger

I'm very happy to pay taxes. really.
I am much more worried by the level of service I sometimes get in exchange.

you lost me when you said that slavery was volontary unless...
doesn't that mean that it was NOT volontary?

For the rest I agree. Internet is a fascinating but sometimes poor communication way (and for the record, I love my Leicas. I would like to have kids with them :D)

. . . you lost me when you said that slavery was volontary unless...
doesn't that mean that it was NOT volontary? . . .
Not for the slave owners.

Anyone who was not a slave was free to buy or not buy slaves; or to free slaves he already owned.

But by your logic, anyone who did NOT own slaves had no right to criticize or even remark upon those who did.

Now, I have never joined FaceTube or YouBook, because I dislike both the theory and the practice. From what you have said, I should say nothing about either because I do not participate.

Cheers,

R.

Facebook has many problems -- but there is one fact that is undeniable. One's personal Facebook timeline is entirely made up from posts made by one's friends.
If one's Facebook experience is boring then it is the result of choosing boring friends -- since all content comes from one's "friends" or pages the user choose to follow, no one else.

My Facebook timeline is interesting, I have about 150 artist, curators, critics, and writer friends who post amazing links and comments about the art world and what is going on. In addition I get feeds from the New Yorker, Artforum, and a half dozen newspapers. I like my feed enough that I do not even read it on Facebook, but view it through Flipbook on my iPhone. I average 10 new posts a day about events I am interested in.

If a user's Facebook page is boring -- it is their fault,

Fully agree .
My FB page is interesting also ... because I ensure that it is .
Anything that isn`t of interest I choose not to see.
I get feeds from Magnum ,Burn , feeds on local history and equestrian pages.
It`s also very useful as a vehicle to distribute pictures to my friends.

Thanks for the educating link.
Totally off topic (not much to loose here anyway): for me a society were you have a choice between starving and "volontary" slavery offers no real choice. this is not volontary. And unfortunately, I can identify this type of slavery in our world, our time, where extremely poor immigrants are bullied by their bosses with close to no rights and no leverage.

As I aged and my friends became even more dispersed, I went through a 10 year period where I did not get out enough, to openings and the like, because I did not run into them at the local artist watering holes. Facebook has really changed that.

I have an uncle that I know mainly because of skype, and we are really good friends now.
I'm a luddite on lots of stuff. I dispise so many aspects of the almost religious, blind technological consumerism we live in, but some of these technologies are just great.

Roger is absolutely right about exaggeration on internet forums. We can all do our part to address that problem.

Lord knows I have tried to do my part but it has been an exercise in futility. I have asked my fellow photographers on this forum to dial back the rampant exaggeration about five billion times but my pleas have largely fallen on deaf ears. :D

Back