Camera and Coffee

Just make damned sure it is Canadian. None of that corn-based bilge from south of the border. ;o)

Having lived on both sides of the border I enjoy the jovial, and sometimes not so jovial, cross border sniping and commentary. "Peace, Order, and Good Government," not just a catchy slogan but a good way of doing things. And I'm off to brew a pot of Murchie's Orange Pekoe. I think they have slipped a bit in the last few years and the changing of hands. Still good teas, though.

I used to work at the head office of Sunoco back in the 1980s in Toronto, and I started a little 'tea club' there. We were known as the Upper Canada Tea Society and every morning and afternoon I'd brew a pot of Murchie's for the 'members'. Every so often I'd mail order a large supply of tea from them and I'd also order Roger's Chocolates from Victoria. I still have my dark green Murchie's mug from those days -- hmm maybe I should pull it out of storage and start to use it again!

I used to work at the head office of Sunoco back in the 1980s in Toronto, and I started a little 'tea club' there. We were known as the Upper Canada Tea Society and every morning and afternoon I'd brew a pot of Murchie's for the 'members'. Every so often I'd mail order a large supply of tea from them and I'd also order Roger's Chocolates from Victoria. I still have my dark green Murchie's mug from those days -- hmm maybe I should pull it out of storage and start to use it again!

Down here "Upper Canada" would be lost, or assumed to be the Gaspé. I studied in Canada, McGill, and got a large dose of Canadian History while there. They thought it would be good for me. It was.

I recently watched a YT clip of Canadian customs officers refusing entry to an American who snarled that was ridiculous as "Canada was just an extension of the US." He was lucky customs did not have hockey sticks in their hands. He'd have been dead and they;d have gotten five minutes for high sticking. LOL

I was naive before my years of indentured servitude out there on Sherbrooke. They treated me like a rented mule and hammered a damned good education into me. They also treated me with extreme kindness and patience and I will be eternally grateful for that. That school alone is a monument to the greatness of Canada.

Sunday morning breakfast in the backyard, listening to and watching the birds. A hot cup of Maxwell House (yeah we go for that highbrow stuff around here) in my Greenbrier cup and saucer, sunny side up egg with a piece of bacon, fruit and a slice of Brie. Topping it all off is my $69.74 Rolleiflex Old Standard that I got a couple of years ago from KEH. Gotta love those ‘as-is’ specials.

Rolleiflex and Sunday Breakfast by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

It's a nice cool-ish, overcast Thursday, so why not have coffee outside!

The Bronica S2 is all dressed-up today -- I shot two rolls of Ektar 100 with it this week and boy is it a nice camera. BTW I did get more info from the Bronica Guru himself regarding what exactly the difference is between the S2 and S2a as far as the gearing goes and what was the 'issue' with the S2, as well as what is happening inside the camera when you get to that final 'snap' of the winding knob/crank:

"The 'snap' is normal, it is the clutch kicking out and resetting for the next wind. The S simply stopped when wound and animal users would force the crank and strip the gears so they redesigned the winding. The S2 was designed so the wind gears kicked out when the shutter was wound. This is the difference between the S, Supreme, and the S2 and S2A. The S2A has deeper cut teeth in the winding gears since even with clutch that kicks out some of the animals still would force the wind crank on the S2 and break the teeth of the gear."

So really, as long as you're not an 'animal' when it comes to winding that crank, you shouldn't have any issues with the S2.

But anyways, getting back to camera and coffee! The Bronica is outfitted with a 45-degree prism finder (much more comfortable than the 90-degree finder), the super-sharp 50/3.5 Nikkor and its hood, the Bronica pistol grip, and a not-so-interesting Domke Gripper strap (I do have a very groovy strap from Etsy on order for this beast, so watch this space). Heavy as all get-out, but I love it so much I don't care. Complementing this camera setup is a mug filled with Wegman's French Roast and a toasted slice of sourdough with two different toppings: One half has Bonne Maman apricot preserves, the other half is lathered with Las Cruces, New Mexico honey. All in all, a great way to start the day.

Bronica and Coffee Again by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Good morning from the wilds of Eastern Ontario! A lovely day for a cuppa Nespresso, the super-sweet late version Ermanox and a plate of homemade-by-Vinny butter tarts. The recipe is one that I’ve been using for years — it’s from a 1967 Robin Hood Flour Canadian cookbook, but with a couple of little (secret!) changes.

Butter Tarts, Ermanox and Coffee by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Coffee and Camera at the beach (GFX50R on a Tripod)​

DSCF3314.JPG
Fujifilm X-Pro3, Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 lens
Astia film simulation
Miura Beach, Japan - June 2022
Image resized smaller than original​

Back