Canon LTM Canon LTM 50mm 1.5 "Sonnar" Photos Please!

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Brian, as the Sonnar Magician in this forum, did you shim your lens in any way, or just use it as it is? What's your experience with the unavoidable focus shift?

I've owned two Canon 50/1.5's, traded one to Joe long ago. I changed the shim out on this one over 15 years ago.

I found my post from the first page,

Tooffy- yours looks like it was optimized for use wide-open. I changed the shim on mine, added 0.1mm, to use at F1.5. Before that, it was best at F4 and compared poorly against the Nikkor-S 5cm F1.4. My personal opinion is that Canon optimized it for use stopped down, and that is why it never got the fame of the Nikon Sonnar.

The Nikkor lenses were all optimized for wide-open use. The Canon and Zeiss Sonnars were optimized stopped down. I've set all of these for wide-open use.

Focus shift on a Sonnar, as Roger used to advise- focus and just move back an inch or so when you are stopped down to F2.8~F4. I focus the RF patch slightly past coincidence. The actual focus will be behind the RF, so nudge the focus slightly closer.

Another with the 50/1.5, wide-open.

Another with the 50/1.5, at F4.

On the Bessa R2, at F2. Around 2006 when I first got this lens. Since then, picked up a full set of Walz filters and vented hood.

Back