California (Bay Area, Northern) Cindy Sherman Exhibit and Decisive Challenge Get Together Aug 5th

I was there today, as well. But I had no idea there was an RFF group present. I think I saw someone with an M6 at the top of the stairs at around 1230, but I was busy chasing these two around...

Was great to see everyone and to shoot in the city. Wonderful soft light this morning and nice warm sunshine in the afternoon. A perfect day of much needed "shutter therapy."

-Randy

I recommend the Lee Miller/Man Ray exhibit at the Legion. Sounds strange to say, but surrealism is more familiar ground.

Was great to meet you all today at the MOMA, sorry couldnt meet for beer and chat post-show.
I really like Cindy's earlier Untitled Film Stills and her more recent work of beautifully grotesque burned out socialites.
Jamie-thanks for the IIIf pointers.

@bob338: I tend to agree. The early black and white film stills series was pretty interesting -- not that I can conjure up any particular photo, but rather when viewed as a series. Even so, a bit conceptual for these arrested modernist eyes. I first saw the show in NY, so I'll have to swing by for an encore visit now that it's here in SF. It's interesting to note: I gather she is such a darling of contemporary art photography circles that not even crusty old fogies dare breathe a whisper of doubt. But neither have I seen much by way of compelling comment that sheds much critical (aesthetic) light, other than on various axes she's grinding. Maybe I'm just too stuck in modernism to do anything but believe my lying eyes.

What did all you HCB fans make of Cindy Sherman? :)

I like her latest images of the socialites best. Such great commentary on this strata of our culture. And I'd call her late work 'performance art', not strictly photography. I highly recommend the show (although I wouldn't recommend taking young kids as there are a handful of disturbing images in the middle of the show).

Great seeing all the RFFer folk today.. always a pleasure. Sorry Mike didn't make it as I was looking forward to seeing his faux Olympic Speedo outfit. I suspect he got distracted by the Beach Volleyball competition on the tube.

Was great to meet you all today at the MOMA, sorry couldnt meet for beer and chat post-show.
I really like Cindy's earlier Untitled Film Stills and her more recent work of beautifully grotesque burned out socialites.
Jamie-thanks for the IIIf pointers.

Gary, it was a pleasure meeting you and your sister. Great day! :)

It was good to see everyone and sit and chat over a Pliny and bar grub. I was impressed by Randy's OM-d. I agree; Sunday provided a good mix of light. Looking forward to seeing everyone's output from the day's effort.

/

It was good to see everyone and sit and chat over a Pliny and bar grub. I was impressed by Randy's OM-d. I agree; Sunday provided a good mix of light. Looking forward to seeing everyone's output from the day's effort. /

A terrific day, thanks everyone! Randy should get a paycheck from Oly...he's the best spokesman they have! Very cool little camera.

I also really liked Jamie's engraving on the X-Pro1. Very sweet looking. It was also nice to see some new faces at the event, always a good thing.

Hopefully Mike enjoyed his day at the spa and brazilian wax...I know he was looking forward to it.

Randy should get a paycheck from Oly...he's the best spokesman they have! Very cool little camera.

Yeah, well, as much as I am loving my litle Olympus OM-D E-M5 (sheesh, I have to think twice, every time, to get that model name correct) with that Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 lens (50mm equivalent), I have a strong feeling that you and Ray can still shoot circles around me with whatever camera you guys care to use...

-Randy

vrgard said:
Yeah, well, as much as I am loving my litle Olympus OM-D E-M5 (sheesh, I have to think twice, every time, to get that model name correct) with that Panasonic Leica 25/1.4 lens (50mm equivalent), I have a strong feeling that you and Ray can still shoot circles around me with whatever camera you guys care to use...

-Randy

Don't sell yourself short Randy...you put those goodies to very good use!

I just got a roll of Superia 800 developed from yesterday and I never cease to be disappointed with results from that film. For some reason we just don't get along ;)

I see other people using it and getting nice tight grain...for me they're like huge pebbles.

I just got a roll of Superia 800 developed from yesterday and I never cease to be disappointed with results from that film. For some reason we just don't get along ;)

I see other people using it and getting nice tight grain...for me they're like huge pebbles.

I usually get along with that film! It's the yellow father equivalent that gives me fits--and guess what I shot with yesterday! I probably won't get mine processed until mid-week. Where do you get your film processed, Kent?

/
ray

I had it done at Costco (**bows head knowing that's impulsively lame**) as I wanted to get a quick and dirty scan done to see if there's anything worth breaking out the Nikon scanner for. I'm hoping some of this issue might be incredibly poor scanning, there's a ton of color noise, but we shall see.

I hope I'm mistaken! I haven't had much luck with it previously (shot it 1/3 stop over this time) but with a little luck a home scan will reveal more quality.

Now...time to develop the TMAX from yesterday.

I usually get along with that film! It's the yellow father equivalent that gives me fits--and guess what I shot with yesterday! I probably won't get mine processed until mid-week. Where do you get your film processed, Kent?

/
ray

I had it done at Costco (**bows head knowing that's impulsively lame**) as I wanted to get a quick and dirty scan done to see if there's anything worth breaking out the Nikon scanner for. I'm hoping some of this issue might be incredibly poor scanning, there's a ton of color noise, but we shall see.

I hope I'm mistaken! I haven't had much luck with it previously (shot it 1/3 stop over this time) but with a little luck a home scan will reveal more quality.

Now...time to develop the TMAX from yesterday.

Kent, which Costco? I thought Costco in SF no longer processes film. I shot two rolls of Kodak BW400CN yesterday. I was thinking of bringing them to Photoworks on Market. I decided not to use Walgreens this time because of their really bad scanning.

--Warren

Back