Leica LTM cool accessories for barnacks...

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

nikonosguy

Well-known
Local time
4:34 AM
SCNOO Winder (although incredibly difficult to find a case, and no strap lugs)
orako contrast
ablon film trimmer (a must)
FILBA (level for cold shoe)
ROSOL Sports finder...

what are some of your favorites?

how could i survive until today ... without ABLON?

uh.
i see. i got scissors, and a finger to estimate the length of the cutoff.

VALOO - focusing stage accessory / Hood
VISOFLEX - the complete outfit with Universal Bellows and Hektor 135mm head.

And the Walz 19mm filter set for the Argus C-3 :p

how could i survive until today ... without ABLON?

uh.
i see. i got scissors, and a finger to estimate the length of the cutoff.

I was thinking the same thing. The template looks convenient, sure, but I have had zero issues using scissors. Once you've cut a few rolls you can do it blindfolded.

(never actually use scissors blindfolded!)

C&P Contax (50mm) to ltm adapter...

We've already touched on VOOLA this week, WINKO is of less use, somewhere I have an OSBLO...

No one should ever be without at least one ELDIA. Perhaps we should start a thread "Show us your ELDIA"?

You can't beat a bit of NOOKY! In fact, if I ever get a Barnack, I am going to have to get some NOOKY for myself, just because.

Adrian

ABCOO is the trimmer kinfe for the ABLON so you don't cut yourself in the darkroom.

ABCOO is not for use with the ABLON, but for cutting the film in the camera.

The coolest accessory for me is the SBOOI (small round 50mm viewfinder). I almost never do without it.

Erik.

Hi,

Not Leitz and probably not cool but useful; camera cradle to put tripod on centre line of the camera and a notebook and pencil.

I hesitate to mention lens caps and hoods as no one else has. I guess they are un-cool...

Regards, David

ABCOO is not for use with the ABLON, but for cutting the film in the camera.

Erik.

Okay, I'm not afraid to show my ignorance, how does that work? My great teacher, Mr. Internet, has shown me directions, with pictures of using the ABCOO with the ABLON, so I've always thought that was how it worked; the ABCOO slid along the side of the ABLON. I made my own ABLON from sheet metal, but haven't fabricated an ABCOO yet. (Wasn't inclined to pay $300+ for a set of the real ones, and, yes, I know film can be trimmed adequately freehand.)

But, how do you use an ABLON to cut film which is already in the camera? Or, why? I just woke up, so perhaps not visualizing this correctly yet.

Well, Larry, as you know a Leica uses films with 36 exposures. For a lot of people that is way too much. For those people Leitz invented the ABCOO. Say, you've exposed 14 frames and you want to see the results, but you don't want to spoil the 22 unexposed frames that are still on your film. Then you take your Leica and your ABCOO to your darkroom, you remove the bottomplate and you position without removing the film your ABCOO next to the take-up spool. The ABCOO is very sharp, so you push it in and wile doing so you cut the film just after your last exposed frame in two pieces. You now can take out the take-up spool and develope the piece of film with the 14 exposures. That is what the ABCOO was made for. I hope this is clear to you as my English is not very good and the procedure of using the ABCOO is quite complicated.

Erik.

Well, Larry, as you know a Leica uses films with 36 exposures. For a lot of people that is way too much. For those people Leitz invented the ABCOO. Say, you've exposed 14 frames and you want to see the results, but you don't want to spoil the 22 unexposed frames that are still on your film. Then you take your Leica and your ABCOO to your darkroom, you remove the bottomplate and you position without removing the film your ABCOO next to the take-up spool. The ABCOO is very sharp, so you push it in and wile doing so you cut the film just after your last exposed frame in two pieces. You now can take out the take-up spool and develope the piece of film with the 14 exposures. That is what the ABCOO was made for.

Erik.

Thank you!

So, is there a catalog or website explaining all these accessory code names?

Relatedly, since I have a Zorki IV, how many of these LTM accessories work well with Soviet-era copies?

~Joe

Who came up with all these crazy names ? Are they German for anything, or are they little Oskar's first baby words ? The only one I like is Nooky.

~Joe

James Lager's 'Leica Literature' has many of the names listed, as well as any of Rogliatti's books (The First 50 Years, The First 60 years etc). I'm sure Dennis Laney's books have them listed too (particularly his 'Leica Accessory Guide').

Relatedly, since I have a Zorki IV, how many of these LTM accessories work well with Soviet-era copies?

~Joe

James Lager's 'Leica Literature' has many of the names listed, as well as any of the late Gianni Rogliatti's books (The First 50 Years, The First 60 years etc). I'm Dennis Laney's books have them listed too.

Back