Leica LTM cool accessories for barnacks...

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Good necro-thread! I love Barnack widgets, so this is right up my street - and I'd missed it until now.

Answering a very old question:

Has anyone ever used an OSBLO?
Yes, I've had one as a rear cap on my 90mm Elmar since 2012 or 2013. It's borderline useless, TBH. I need to take my glasses off to use it properly, and at 90mm, it feels like you're getting very little magnification/benefit (despite the "6x" claim on the eyepiece). It's more useful on a 135mm, but still only really worth keeping as a last resort to save you carrying binoculars with you as well.

It does let you use a lens as a low-grade loupe if you have an M39 or LTM extension tube lying around too, but I'd definitely never get one specifically for that purpose!

My absolute favourite Barnack accessory is this thing:

ED576BD3-2701-4545-9869-7C931918C83B.jpeg

The Focoslide (or Focaslide - I've seen it written that way too) is a scientific/close-up photography tool. Mount lens on one side, mount a viewfinder and a Barnack on the other. You frame and focus directly through the lens on a ground glass, then slide the camera into place when you're ready to take the photo. Damn thing is great and feels very Rube-Goldberg-esque. If I added some bellows to the mix, it'd be the closest thing I could imagine to a large format camera while still using 35mm film.

I made a thread for it here: Leica LTM - The Focoslide: not just for photocopies

Last edited:
Back