Crazy about the Biogon-C 35mm - pics thread

L1003001.jpg

100%crop
L1003001_crop1.jpg

corner
L1003001_crop2.jpg

As I'm considering what to get as my first 35mm RF lens, I am glad to have stumbled upon this thread... Question for Leicashot: Do you remember if the performer on the left was moving his (or her?) feet when you took the shot?

I'm intrigued by the slight out-of-focus of the bottom enlargement of the feet, vs. the sharpness of the middle enlargement of the face. As both objects were on approximately the same plane relative to the camera, I wonder if the OOF of the bottom pic was due to movement or softness of the outer zone of this wide angle lens, as Sean Reid talked about in his Fast Lenses review.

Any thoughts, anyone?

As I'm considering what to get as my first 35mm RF lens, I am glad to have stumbled upon this thread... Question for Leicashot: Do you remember if the performer on the left was moving his (or her?) feet when you took the shot?

I'm intrigued by the slight out-of-focus of the bottom enlargement of the feet, vs. the sharpness of the middle enlargement of the face. As both objects were on approximately the same plane relative to the camera, I wonder if the OOF of the bottom pic was due to movement or softness of the outer zone of this wide angle lens, as Sean Reid talked about in his Fast Lenses review.

Any thoughts, anyone?
I don't think that the mentioned objects do have the same distance from the camera. Ths shoes are about 50 cm nearer.
Just have a look at the legs of the left actor, they are in one line with the knees of the sittung actor. And the actors face ist somewhat behnd his knees. So i guess the unsharpness ist absolutely normal when shooting fully opened with this lens in quite small distances like this.

This isn't the best thread for encouraging someone to sell this lens.

It also isn't the best lens to encourage people to sell it. As Tom A mentioned on another thread, most people who buy one of these tend to hold on to it. Including me. :D

Excited to test this lens this weekend... I hope I get my stupid little 43mm 486 filter in the mail so my M8 doesn't malfunction... ;)

Thanks Chris and DN. :)

I'm amazed how well this lens behaves and gives me virtually no worries against unwanted distortions, flare or loss of details. (note: my crappy scanner doesn't keep the negative flat)

I just pulled the trigger on an M6 TTL. It has the 0.58 finder. This is my first foray into the 35mm rangefiner realm having been shooting all my 35mm stuff on SLRs for years. I don't have a lens yet but am seriously considering this ZM 35mm f2.8. Has anyone had a chance to compare it with the Voigt 35 f2.5 or f1.4? Both are quite a bit cheaper than the ZM and the latter offers more speed. I'm attracted to the Zeiss though. A year or so back I had a Contax TVS which had a phenomenal little Zeiss zoom optic on it - have been itching to try the ZMs ever since.

The CV 1.4 is soft compared with the 2.8. My v3 summicron from F4 and smaller is about the same.

Cheers dfoo. I expect I will go for the Zeiss. The ZM series seems really great. On another thread their 28mm f2.8 also earns high praise. I'm rather excited to get into the M mount for the first time.... My previous rangefinder experience (Mamiya 6) doesn't really let me vent any GAS as there are only 3 lenses for it!

I've used both the CV 35/2.5 and I now have a Zeiss 35/2.8 and I like the Zeiss better. I sold the CV because it was too contrasty and had too much light falloff at the sides of the frame. It was, however, very sharp and had nice bokeh. The Zeiss C-Biogon is also very sharp and has good bokeh, but with less light falloff and lower contrast, so i prefer it.

I shoot more colour than B&W so I'm guessing the lower contrast that Chris mentions in the ZM would be advantageous for me.

Where to buy a new ZM? Popflash?

I shoot more colour than B&W so I'm guessing the lower contrast that Chris mentions in the ZM would be advantageous for me.

Where to buy a new ZM? Popflash?

That's where I got mine. Charming folks, good prices. Mention that you were referred from RFF.

Sug, I second/third Chris and Co: great shot!

Riverman: what *semilog* said: Tony Rose and popflash are great folks!

Thanks for the recommendations of Popflash. I look forward to giving them my business. Cash wise I need to wait a couple of weeks to get the lens though so for the time being I have a lensless Leica. I do have a couple of other cameras (with lenses!) I can run film through in the meantime - the period 2008 -2010 has been gaseous shall we say!

I've just posted a small set of 16 pictures that I took on a recent short trip to California. They show how the Biogon-C renders under a fairly wide variety of lighting conditions and subject distances, with foreground and background OOF areas, etc. A few are technically weak (poor focus, underexposure), but even those pictures can be informative.

All were shot on ACROS and developed in Rodinal 1:50 (I was out of XTOL).

Last edited:
Back