Dear Susan Pixii Review

This doesn't really qualify as a review in my mind, not even close to be honest.

Guth is correct; they almost lost me at "...'togs..." but I slogged on looking for substance.

There ain't much; this is merely a device meant to facilitate a datastream, and an under-specced one at that. It answers a question nobody asked, and fulfills a need nobody has.

Cute, empty pictures. Technically OK, not inspiring at all. Just as with many reviewers who are nowhere near to be photographer. But even this american ghost hunter does better review pictures. Of his current wife and some chubby relatives.

Usual bla-bla-bla about rangefinders and Leica. Kind of copy/past #145.

Some dude initials are DB. Another one is TM or something. Why do I have to care?

And what is 1Mo in terms of resolution, BTW?

There is the unanswered question of availability: when will the Pixii be on the market? On cost, whomever the camera is intended for, the cost which has been floating around the Internets may be a deal breaker: high-end cell phones, with decent cameras, go for USD 1,300.

Cheers, OtL

If you are expecting it to pop up in camera stores, I would imagine it never will. However, they’ve been selling them here for awhile now: https://store.pixii.fr/

What caught my eye, reviewer's comment about Ming Thein: "he says, it’s time for him to move on." Quick search finds a Ming article a month ago in PetaPixel.

Ming says: "Ming Thein the writer and mingthein.com are both going into retirement. Between the demands of my ‘other’ job, not being able to travel, and trying not to repeat myself – I’ve run out of things to say."

He will be missed.

What caught my eye, reviewer's comment about Ming Thein: "he says, it’s time for him to move on." Quick search finds a Ming article a month ago in PetaPixel.

Ming says: "Ming Thein the writer and mingthein.com are both going into retirement. Between the demands of my ‘other’ job, not being able to travel, and trying not to repeat myself – I’ve run out of things to say."

He will be missed.

Ming has moved on to open a high-end watch company ... Photographing beautiful watches is what brought him into photography in the first place. Ming are some very nice watches! https://ming.watch

The Pixii ... If I didn't already have way too many cool, wonderful, expensive, oddball niche cameras to play with, I'd probably order a Pixii. Its design is very interesting and its limitations would likely inspire some interesting work. It will remain on my list, awaiting some windfall or another to afford buying one. Like the Light L16, rather dismissively treated in this article, it's a quirky thing but likely can make some very interesting photographs.

I've got plenty of state of the art camera equipment that can do anything I want. What I look for most nowadays in new equipment is innovative, interesting stuff that does things in new and often 'slightly off' ways. :)

G

"Constraint breeds creativity."

This doesn't really qualify as a review in my mind, not even close to be honest. ....

I think it does qualify as a review. Not from a technical point of view, but more level of abstraction or two up, perhaps more artistic than many, looks like something I would expect in "Town & Country" rather than DPReview.com.

It is a great artist tool, simply elegant, and proof of that a few wonderful (IMHO) concepts work. Now that I understand a bit more of the background, he already is successful.

Very cool. Not well healed enough to buy one now..........

B2 (;->

I think it does qualify as a review. Not from a technical point of view, but more level of abstraction or two up, perhaps more artistic than many, looks like something I would expect in "Town & Country" rather than DPReview.com.

It is a great artist tool, simply elegant, and proof of that a few wonderful (IMHO) concepts work. Now that I understand a bit more of the background, he already is successful.

I’m not sure by what definition this would qualify as review. Absence of detailed technical specifications (or almost any specifications for that matter) aside, I still know very little about this camera or the user experience it provides as a result of reading the article. As a result, I find it hard to offer constructive comments one way or the other regarding the product itself. What was it specifically in this piece that you found to be indicative that this camera is an elegant, great artist’s tool?

I agree with a lot of the posts here. The camera specs or concept just don't do it for anywhere near the asking price, and the review is a bit too flowery, the language seems more aspirational without substance to back it up. Maybe the project is just too ambitious at this point. The watches Ming is selling look more interesting.

If you are expecting it to pop up in camera stores, I would imagine it never will. However, they’ve been selling them here for a while now: https://store.pixii.fr/
Ah, I visited that site a few times when they were not selling it. All the more concerning that none of the mainstay internet reviewers bother to even mention the camera, let alone review it. Cheers, OtL

At their price point they are competing with used Leica. I wish Epson would simply reissue the RD1 with up to date electronics.

A new company comes out with a new rangefinder, when nobody else is, and people makes jokes? On RFF?

Full frame is not everything. Sure the first model was lame. However, the second model is certainly a nice camera. And Epson? Come on. no chance after all these years. Even Cosina is not making rangefinders.

Why is money suddenly so cheap? I have never bought any products from a similar start-up company. I would invest the $3300 in more lenses (to be used with my cameras). One day, and when the prices for such a camera drop to $1700 (used), it then starts being interesting to me. Which camera to get to augment my M10? A SONY or a newbie?

I made a list of old cameras I could get for the same price.

M-P (Typ 240)
M (Typ 262)
Q-P
M (Typ 240)
Epson R-D1x
M9-P
M-E

The only one I'd seriously consider is the Typ 262.

Enjoy the Pixii's fresh approach and put up with the lens option and early adopter headaches? VS. have tons of great 28mm and 35mm lens options, but miss out on the Pixii's connectivity and originality?

I made a list of old cameras I could get for the same price.

M-P (Typ 240)
M (Typ 262)
Q-P
M (Typ 240)
Epson R-D1x
M9-P
M-E

The only one I'd seriously consider is the Typ 262.

Enjoy the Pixii's fresh approach and put up with the lens option and early adopter headaches? VS. have tons of great 28mm and 35mm lens options, but miss out on the Pixii's connectivity and originality?

some pretty old tech in that list. How many are repairable still?

It's new, it's in the Leica bailiwick. There's enough for a lot of discussion right there. Add French and we have a donnybrook.

I fall back to this old bit of wisdom, here gleaned from a quote on the internet:

"Herbert Spencer was an English philosopher, biologist, anthropologist, sociologist, and prominent classical liberal political theorist of the Victorian era. Spencer declares that “there is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

Please note that the two folks who own this camera on the board and who have written reviews are quite pleased. Their photos are quite nice. The rest of us have no photos or experience to share.

Another old bit of wisdom of about puddings, the proof is in the eating.

Bottom line..
How does this cam rate in lots of usage..year after year..is it meant to be really used..hard..
That remains to be seen..
Can you buy an extended warranty...I would think this is a must at this price point for a start up company..
Original intl warranty is 2 years.
But.. after a year or 2..if you decide to upgrade or sell..
Whats it gonna be worth..
No one really knows yet..
But they will..

And your point is?

It is electronic. A general rule with electronics is that if they work for 90 days they will work for a long, long time. Unless they are Leicas. Leicas have an appalling track record with electronics. They are better now. Allow the same to Pixii even though I doubt they will need it. Difference being is Pixii knows what it is doing. It took three models for Leica to come up with a stable digital, the M240.

Back