Film by the Roll, 5-pack, Brick or Can ?

Film by the Roll, 5-pack, Brick or Can ?

• Single or a couple of rolls at a time

Votes: 112 25.5%
  • 5 packs

Votes: 134 30.5%
  • Bricks of 10 or 20 rolls

Votes: 221 50.3%
  • Cans - DIY reloading

Votes: 102 23.2%
  • Mostly by post

Votes: 125 28.5%
  • Mostly locally in person

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • Impossible to get film - had to go digital

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

FrozenInTime

Well-known
Local time
12:51 PM
It's getting increasingly difficult to get film over the counter most places these days :

Is there a global trend to putting in larger, less frequent resupply orders ?
How do you buy your film ?

Having been shooting mostly B&W for the last year, I just checked the fridge and noticed I'm down to 2 rolls of 35mm color film for this and probably next weekend... not sure I will be able to get more by next weekend :-(

Last edited:
Mostly larger orders on-line, but also expired film at camera fairs.

The only thing I have never bought are cans, I don't have a loader. I do however tend to ask film for my birthday. A bit mean really, because most people are clueless where to get it and what to buy :D Usually I get 24 exposure rolls of Fuji Superia, which does nicely for happy snaps.

Order the majority online from Freeystyle or one of the places in NYC depending on the type of film.
I would love to buy locally but at $10-12 for a roll of 35mm Pan F or HP-5+ not going to happened.

I am lucky to have good choice locally in my town, but buying online as well. Going to the store when I need a few rolls of something specific (also getting all my chemistry there), online for bulk-loads.

One of the local shops has a good selection but their prices are high, so I buy in bricks of 10 for my staple HP5+ and FP4+ online and go local for less frequent use films like Superia. Usually the UK online retailers have the best prices unless the exchange rate is unfavourable.

Except for specialty film such as IR, I buy trix, delta, portra at one of the three large camera stores in town. My favorite is Tempe Camera, as their prices are the same as the large online sellers such as B&H. Unfortunately they are also the furthest from my house and from my workplace, being about 15 miles away.

I usually order infrared film from Freestyle.

Mostly bricks online from b&h. Everything is twice the usual price over here, so I try to avoid buying locally.

I have a fabulous camera shop here in Salt Lake with great inventory and very competetive prices for equipment. I buy quite a bit of stuff from them but their film prices are just too high. I usually buy from B&H or Adorama or Freestyle. I usually buy 10 or 20 rolls at a time. Jim

Last edited:
I recently bought 200 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 for $29 on ebay. Expired, yes, but still seems to shoot fine. I'm set for a while I guess.

I buy bricks of Freestyle Legacy Pro (rebranded Neopan ACROS and Neopan 400), and I bulk-load TMAX400.

"Cartonload" I guess, the last order was for 480 rolls. I don't bulk roll, though - so I actually had to buy a small freezer when the UPS man arrived :D Still beats buying the semi-expired film that my local "dealer" sells for $10/roll...

By the Pro Pack (5-roll) and "modern" brick (10-roll, as opposed to 20) most of the time, and always local, since Adorama and B&H are a bike- or subway-ride away. 'Fridge space is rather limited for the time being, so I never have more then ten rolls of a given film type on hand unless I have a project underway. (Current "stock" films I keep on hand: Kodak BW400CN, Kodak Portra 160NC, Kodak Ektar 100.)

- Barrett

Back