Film by the Roll, 5-pack, Brick or Can ?

Film by the Roll, 5-pack, Brick or Can ?

• Single or a couple of rolls at a time

Votes: 112 25.5%
  • 5 packs

Votes: 134 30.5%
  • Bricks of 10 or 20 rolls

Votes: 221 50.3%
  • Cans - DIY reloading

Votes: 102 23.2%
  • Mostly by post

Votes: 125 28.5%
  • Mostly locally in person

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • Impossible to get film - had to go digital

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
For the last couple of months, I've been getting by with out-of-date Ektapress 100/160/800 ASA. While there is most definitely some base fog, for the price it's hard to beat. And the price is $2 a roll and $3.50 for the lab to processing a CD and then put my images on an external drive. Unfortunately, I think I cleared them out of their last 70 rolls.
Now I start on all their stuff behind the counter :p. Someday it will all be mine :D.

35 1.4 Summilux on Leica MP with XP2.

Taken with Widelux F7 and Ektapress 160 ASA.

Gregory

Last edited:
Many ways...

ebay...slightly outdated...40-100 rolls at a time...bulk 100' rolls...(35mm)
Freestyle...35mm B&W...maybe 10 rolls at a time
Samy's...20-30 rolls 120 B&W
Camera shows...whatever they have that's decent...
For special events I'll pick up Pro film from local stores...maybe 5-10 rolls...

I buy bricks of Freestyle Legacy Pro (rebranded Neopan ACROS and Neopan 400), and I bulk-load TMAX400.

Are you sure.. I use Acros. Do you think it's the real stuff? What does Freestyle call it..Legacy?, and is it fresh? As in, kept cold, even if it's a bit out of date.
p.

Last edited:
Yes it is but not 100% the same material. You can feel with your fingers that there's perhaps a minor difference in the base material thickness. The LegacyPro 100 and 400 emulsion however is exactly the same with Acros 100 and in Neopan 400 so dev times and image quality is just the same.

I always buy 5 packs off of ebay because I can't find it cheaper.

Where do you guys get the kodak 20+ packs from?? can I buy it right from them?

I buy singles to experiment locally.

Once I find stuff I like that I want in bulk, I buy either packs or cans. I tend to leave the film the loader so now I need a second loader so I can have both a fast and slow fill ready to roll. I'm too nervous about light leaks to move it can to loader repeatedly.

Most of my film is still bulk expired film purchases though. I have a huge amount of expired color and slide film stockpiled simply because I develop b&w at home and thus shoot it much more often.

Yes it is but not 100% the same material. You can feel with your fingers that there's perhaps a minor difference in the base material thickness. The LegacyPro 100 and 400 emulsion however is exactly the same with Acros 100 and in Neopan 400 so dev times and image quality is just the same.

I had some Neopan 100 here and it's not the same film as the Acros variant. Have you enlarged the Legacy film and compared it to the grain structure in Acros? It's certainly a great value if it is truly Acros. Freestyle's prices for the real Acros are quite good too. p.

In the past, I have purchased fresh film, short-dated film, or recently expired film by mail and in person from sources that have a history of providing properly stored film.

My preferred packaging for this film is:
35mm color slide film in 100-feet cans.
35mm color print film in 20-roll “bricks”
Medium format 120 color print film in 5-packs
4x5 and 8x10 inch black & white sheet film in 50 or 100 sheet boxes

However, now that film is getting so hard to find at reasonable prices, I will be forced to purchase it in any packaging form I can find. Thank goodness, I have not needed to buy film recently because I am still using the film stored in my freezer. Plus, many of the types of film I like to shoot have been discontinued.

By the way, 5-liter E6 chemistry is also getting hard to find.

I've bought several 20 roll bricks off the classifieds here. The last two 20-pack bricks were Fuji 160 NPS. Great film.

There have been a number of threads here and elsewhere on the web about this. If Legacy Pro 100/400 are different from Acros and Neopan 400, no one's been able to really show it.

I just ran a bunch of ACROS and LP100, shot on the same days and in the same light, in some cases developed together the same tanks, and to my eyes there's not an overt difference. To me the bases feel the same, and the base densities are by eye indistinguishable. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll measure the base thicknesses with a micrometer.

In the past, I have purchased fresh film, short-dated film, or recently expired film by mail and in person from sources that have a history of providing properly stored film.

My preferred packaging for this film is:
35mm color slide film in 100-feet cans.
35mm color print film in 20-roll “bricks”
Medium format 120 color print film in 5-packs
4x5 and 8x10 inch black & white sheet film in 50 or 100 sheet boxes

However, now that film is getting so hard to find at reasonable prices, I will be forced to purchase it in any packaging form I can find. Thank goodness, I have not needed to buy film recently because I am still using the film stored in my freezer. Plus, many of the types of film I like to shoot have been discontinued.

By the way, 5-liter E6 chemistry is also getting hard to find.

where on earth do you get your E6 in cans? looking high and low to no avail.

I usually buy from Freestyle on Sunset, a short subway ride and about 1km walk from my work. Also have a small photo shop in Valley Village but prices are a bit higher. I buy some from them if I don't want to trek to Hollywood.

Well, It's been a while, but at one time you could buy a chemistry kit at your local camera store. I started with E4 and then went to E6. It's been a number of years since I ran any E6. I think the kit would process 6 rolls of 36.. maybe it was 8. It may no longer be sold. As of about 3 years ago, professional photographers were no longer allowed to have a dark room in San Francisco. This didn't apply to students or hobbyists. If you had a City business license, you got a visit from an inspector.. unannounced. p.

I mostly buy the 5 roll pro-packs of my two main stays--BW400CN and Ektar--and occasionally will buy what ever the local drug store has--re branded Fuji I think.
Rob

I buy at either of the two local shops that sell film, although I lean towards one.

It may be a wee more expensive than online prices, but I prefer to support the local store or else it won't be around when I need it.

Here is the last place I found E6 chemistry:

Arlington Camera
544 W. Randol Mill Rd.
Arlington, Texas 76011
Telephone:

However, the E6 was in bottles, not cans.

I am lucky that "my little man" in the High Street will order in bulk and get the best price for me - I have just placed an order for 30 rolls of Kodak 400 to take to Australia. They will probably come in packs of 3.

mangie

Back