Film by the Roll, 5-pack, Brick or Can ?

Film by the Roll, 5-pack, Brick or Can ?

• Single or a couple of rolls at a time

Votes: 112 25.5%
  • 5 packs

Votes: 134 30.5%
  • Bricks of 10 or 20 rolls

Votes: 221 50.3%
  • Cans - DIY reloading

Votes: 102 23.2%
  • Mostly by post

Votes: 125 28.5%
  • Mostly locally in person

Votes: 63 14.4%
  • Impossible to get film - had to go digital

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
I only buy 3-5 at a time, since I don't shoot that much film.
But, I plan on developing my own soon, so I may buy more at a time.

I´m glad to see that only a few had to answer that lacking access to film forced them to go digital.

I buy only locally, so far, since no mail handling service-provider can guarantee that shipments are not subjected to X-rays. My local dealer is pretty well supplied, but I often buy much more that I need at the time. The surplus is dumped into the freezer. I buy both 30.5 meter cans, 5-packs and single cassettes, depending on what the dealer has.
I may very well be tempted more than I can bear when I visit the film stores in Tokyo in May. I guess I´ll have to try to go for something like Velvia 50 and try to persuade the Japanese to do hand-inspection of the film when I go back :)

Update from 3-5 rolls at a time:

I now buy 100' rolls. Neopan Acros 100, sold as Legacy Pro from Freestyle.

I'm lucky enough to live close to a store that is very well stocked with films (Freestyle Photo in Hollywood, CA). I like to buy the pro packs of Portra 400 (5 rolls in a pack). I only need to buy one at a time.

I'm lucky enough to live close to a store that is very well stocked with films (Freestyle Photo in Hollywood, CA). I like to buy the pro packs of Portra 400 (5 rolls in a pack). I only need to buy one at a time.

It does save you on the $6.00 shipping :p

I buy Tri-X and Delta 100 individually from Freestyle. The Kodak C41 B&W is actually cheaper at Walgreens - $13 for a 3 pack I think. But I did buy 100 rolls of that no name C41 B&W film from that ebay seller Raid had a thread about. He lowered the price to $114 w/ free shipping and I couldn't resist. As soon as it comes in I'll load up a camera w/ it and post my results. Supposedly it was made to mimic Ilford XP2. We'll see.

What I want is a vending machine that carries different films. Tri-X, Fuji color, etc. I'm not a color shooter, but if I were traveling and a sunset was developing, it would be nice to run over to the local Stop and Rob and put a few dollars into the old machine and get a roll of Kodak Gold.

100 foot rolls of pan f , fp4 , and tri-x . normally i keep 2 of each in the freezer and loaded Lloyd holders in the fridge .

There's a photo store close enough to where I work I can get there during lunch. They often have recently expired film there really cheap. I go there from time to time and check out what's in the bin, and often buy a few rolls. Virtually every film shot I've taken in the last year has been on cheap expired film.

I have been using bulk loading for about 28 years now, but in moving from one house to this one, my box with the two bulk loaders and hundreds of film cartridges have vanished from existence.

I have placed a RFF Want Ad to buy a bulk loader.

I get film whatever way I can. Cans, bricks or single rolls. Lately I have be buying single rolls of APX100 localy. I prefer to buy localy if I can but as the prices are really starting to get stupid I may start to order from the net instead.

Bricks for the ones I know will always use (Tri-X, XP2),
and a few rolls for testing purposes (Adox, Efke, etc.).

I still have bulk film rolls from buying watson or lloyd loaders.

I'll be heading to Freestyle today to pick up some rolls of Ektar 100 and two more bulk rolls of LegacyPro 100...

There hasn't been a camera store in my town in... actually, ever. We had the '50s equivalent of Walgreens in my town (that's a chain store chemist, for the English types), which according to a 1953 directory I have on my couch, was proud to sell the to-of-the-line awesomeness that was... Kodak Brownies. Yeah, this town was passed over by the Erie Canal, the Erie Railroad, the NYS Thruway and even the Southern Tier Expressway. We felt so bad about the last one we built a 4-lane highway through the middle of town. It's 3 miles long and goes absolutely nowhere, other than allowing people passing through (on a back road, really) to get through our town without having to see downtown [/rant].

So I buy everything online. There's a couple 5-packs of Acros for my Rolleicord coming tomorrow, and I'm expecting some cans of Arista Premium 100 and Kentmere 100/400 for Christmas. Mostly Freestyle, but also B&H (they charge me sales tax, so the slightly lower cost turns into a wash, but they ship quicker).

I'll be heading to Freestyle today to pick up some rolls of Ektar 100 and two more bulk rolls of LegacyPro 100...

Any chance you want to take some pictures and show us what the place looks like? it'd a a LONG ride for me to shop there, and local stores are going downhill fast.

how about a 'by the box' option? i've got half the darkroom gear (by weight - the enlarger!) for 4x5, and i'm hunting a suitable camera/lens(es)/etc at the moment.

Back