Hey Hey! Hey Ho! We're number 2872!

I like mine a lot too, and use it often to produce abstracts :

8318935435_bce7dc1839_o.jpg

Some really nice shots here - wonderful! I care as much for DxOMark as I cared for the nerd in our high school class who was always bragging how much he knew about Kama Sutra, and what he was going to do to a girl - once he caught one...

Well, the nerd eventually got caught by a girl who was an even bigger nerd than him. They have been married for 30 years now. Maybe there is still hope for the guys at DxOMark (I presume they are guys...) that some day someone will grab them by their necks and take them outside the lab, forcing them to do some real photography.

(Ohh dear...I am a grumpy old man, am I not?) :D

One step up from a pinhole cap, I guess.

Tempting, though. I could see an Olympus Pen EP5 with 17/2.8 being my ideal kit, but, failing that, if I could get some kind of Pen body, I could live with this little chap while I saved up for more versatile glass (and probably continue to use it even then).

The thing I'm finding great about the 15-f/8 body cap lens is that it's great for street-style photos in good light, especially having a detent for the hyperfocal focus distance. Most images are adequately focused at all distances I'm concerned with, and if I force my G5 to use a high enough ISO, the resulting shutter speed is fast enough in bright light to reduce motion blurr to a minimum.

I've been comparing using the 15-f/8 with the Lumix 20-f/1.7 for street-style grab shots, using the G5, where with the 20 I either have too wide an aperture (and thusly too narrow DOF for quickly-taken grab shots) or the shutter speed is too slow to reduce motion blurr. I've taken to forcing the G5 to a higher ISO, then using Aperture priority mode select f/5.6-f/8 aperture, but still have to manually set the hyperfocal focus distance in manual focus mode, which is hit or miss because of the 20-1.7's lack of a manual focus scale, and the G5's lack of focus distance information in the EVF.

In this regard the 15-f/8 just performs better as a street-shooting lens for quick grab shots, because its slow aperture forces the G5 to a higher ISO, resulting in a faster shutter speed, and the hyperfocal detent is just more accurate than my hit-or-miss focus preset method with the 20.

As for image quality, yes, the 20-1.7 is sharper than the 15-8, but I use a geometric and CA correction development style in SilkyPix that improves the resulting files.

I have grab shots from a recent vacation to San Diego taken with both lenses, I'll have to post some results soon.

~Joe

Taken several weeks ago in Mission Beach, CA. In the last picture, the old guy on skates has a portable boom box blaring opera arias, up and down the boardwalk. This is his normal gesture.

~Joe

9251652177_10e7e92645_c.jpg

9251643097_73aee34672_c.jpg

9254430540_a3d8bfcd05_c.jpg

Gotta have me one of those! Ordered me up one of these bad boyz.

Or summat. I figure that I can use one to keep my EPL1 more rangefinder-y (i.e. not sticking out so much), for discreet street work, or out on bike rides. I shan't worry for this lens so much

Back