Jonesing For a Mamiya C33

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
6:24 PM
Mamiya C33 New Body 105 DS 80mm 220 Back Porro Finder by Nokton48, on Flickr

Back in the eighties I shot Weddings starting with the Mamiya C33 and 80mm lens. As business continued I picked every Mamiya model to the C330S. Later on I traded all of it and moved to Hasselblad and built that up.

Now I am jonesing for my fave C33 with 220 back and 6X Stovepipe Mag Finder. Add a 283 flash diffused and you are in business! I'm only doing personal work now LOL.

So here is my new to me C33 with 220 Back, 80mm F2.8 Black Lens, 105mm Black Lens, Porro Finder, and 80/105 Lenshood.
All works good, the advance is kindy wonky but working looks home repaired. The Plate/Roll Switch will not fully turn also but dosen't effect anything. Overall a good camera ready to use (when I install new light seal kits). Also I have a backup C22 Body on it's way from Japan. So I am set for Mamiflex TLR again!

Frame Spacing New C33 Body Runs 120 as 220 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Two rolls through the new C33 with perfect frame spacing. But the frame counter goes to 24 and I can't get it to change to 12 exposures. Oh Well for now perfectly useable. Will load test roll when I finish light trapping the three film backs I will have. C22 is coming from Japan that will be the backup.

I miss my C330F outfit, but likely not enough to recreate it. As much as it took to put the outfit together lo those many years ago, I hate to think what it would take to do the same today what with the lack of any good used camera stores within a hundred miles of here. Have a good time with your C33.

PF

I miss my C330F outfit, but likely not enough to recreate it. As much as it took to put the outfit together lo those many years ago, I hate to think what it would take to do the same today what with the lack of any good used camera stores within a hundred miles of here. Have a good time with your C33.

PF

Thanks I'm sure I will :) Using this camera is like putting on an old pair of shoes

I've used various Mamiya TLRs back in the day. Very capable cameras, though not as svelte and compact as a Rollei or other fixed-lens TLR. The bulk was one of the major downsides, for me. But Mamiya really deserves credit for the brilliant implementation of an interchangeable lens design. Glad you've rekindled an old romance!

Rettro-Groouch,

The C33 is not light weight, maybe that's why I prefer it over the later models. It is a tank :)

Yes, the earlier models seemed much more robust than the later ones. All metal! In actual use, probably no difference, but I've never liked the widespread adoption of plastics in camera construction. I'm the Retro-Grouch...

I love the solidity of these cameras too. I got a Mamiyaflex C (a couple of generations before the C33 I think) earlier this year and am eager to try it out. The parallax and exposure compensation are things I always have to keep in mind, though -- requires deliberateness in use, which is a good thing. And the versatility of the Mamiyas is unmatched in the TLR world.

Glad you're back with the Mamiyas!

I love the solidity of these cameras too. I got a Mamiyaflex C (a couple of generations before the C33 I think) earlier this year and am eager to try it out. The parallax and exposure compensation are things I always have to keep in mind, though -- requires deliberateness in use, which is a good thing. And the versatility of the Mamiyas is unmatched in the TLR world.

Glad you're back with the Mamiyas!

Yes there is something special about the C2 original Mamiyaflex, I totally agree. When I went knockin' about in the streets it was the perfect stealth camera. I love the slowness of it, and it's funk. I walked in Midewst Photo one day, and JimmyA handed me a Mamiyaflex and said "Here-Free Camera Day!" It needed leather (most of them do) but very cool camera.

Counting Crows - Mr. Jones (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Wow -- a free Mamiya! I'm envious. Yes, mine's leatherette (or whatever it is) is lifting in places and I've had to very carefully get some glue in behind it. Probably will break off in the long run, but it doesn't interfere with the function.

I remember (I think it was in Ivor Matanle's first book) seeing these cameras described as "agricultural," which is kind of spot on. But hey, they work, and work well.

Very nice set up...I just bought a C220 from Japan in excellent condition a month ago...a good friend gave me the 80mm 2.8 Blue Dot & 180mm 4.5 Super lenses.
I have a great version of the Yashicamat 124g and love using it but wanted something that would focus closer...
The 180mm is a great lens and will fill the screen with whatever you're shooting...

Mamiya C220 by nikon_sam2010, on Flickr

C33 80mm 283 My Old Wedding Camera by Nokton48, on Flickr
  • Here I have put together my old wedding camera. I carried two of these, one in each hand. That would give me 48 shots without stopping. Great for all kinds of situations. Bullet proof. Kids would approach and want to squeeze the "beach ball". LOL
Whoa, that is a massive beast! One in each hand?
Oddly, there's only one famous photographer I can think of who is known for using Mamiya TLRs, that being Diane Arbus. According to Bosworth's biography, she settled on them, after migrating from Leicas to Rolleiflexes. I saw her speak at RISD in 1970 and was struck then by what a tiny, almost frail-looking woman she was, but, clearly, though tiny, she was anything but frail. I think of her schlepping one of these monsters on the NY subway at all hours of the day and night, and then think of the social milieu in which she made her images, and I know that she was infinitely tougher than I'll ever be! Maybe the massive, hard-edged Mamiya brick was a potential weapon of self defense...
There are images of Arbus with her Mamiya, and she is always dwarfed by the beast. See this: https://images.app.goo.gl/15541JxTB3nTtbyh6

Congratulations, Nokton48!

I've long loved TLRs and I think the Mamiya line is brilliant. Mamiya was very pragmatic in the design of a practical TLR that could take interchangeable lenses and a wide range of system components. The design appears to me to be more inspired by large format view cameras than by TLRs such as the Rolleis. The built-in bellows was an excellent idea, providing adequate extension for up to a 250mm lens and macro focus with shorter focal lengths. Rollei, on the other hand, could never get enough extension built into their Tele models.

I'm very pleased to have a C330f, a C220f, and a battered old Mamiyaflex (C2?), along with lenses, grips, finders, focusing screens, etc. I also have Minolta Autocords, Rolleiflexes, Yashicas, and a Ricohflex/Diacord. Each one has its own magic.

- Murray

I'm very pleased to have a C330f, a C220f, and a battered old Mamiyaflex (C2?), along with lenses, grips, finders, focusing screens, etc. ...

Nice- that is what I have. The C2 has a cut film adapter mounted to the back (I have the original back also). The C2 has focussing wheels on two sides on the bottom. The [rare] C has a focussing wheel on only one side. There is a C3 (has a crank to wind film insrtead of a knob).

I've been lusting after a C330 but the size and weight are holding me back. For those of you who have held a C220 and a Rolleiflex 2.8, how does the size and "feel" of those two models compare?

When it comes to choosing between the Mamiya and the Rolleiflex, only one camera says "Professional" on it.

For TLR Mamiflex portraiture you have a full range of lenses available. Of course you need the 80mm, that came with my camera. But I was careful to pick up my most useful portrait lens with this camera, which is the 105mm. Just a bit longer slightly less foreshortening, very flattering yet still up close. I went for the black deluxe Blue Dot version this time, with the DOF scales and adjustable iris in the viewing lens. With just these two lenses I can do 100% of what I want to do with these two 1960s era camera bodies.

Really this is what I will use in the studio

In looking at color and black and white 16x20s and 20x24s (and thousands of proofs) I have NEVER seen any appreciable difference between the silver and black lenses. This go round I choose the more modern black lenses. At one time I had multiple copies of just about every lens they made from 65mm to 250mm.

I should get my C22 from Japan the middle of November.

Never owned a Rolleiflex, myself. Borrowed a 2.8F for a while and liked it. Richard Avedon had a standing order for clean 2.8F's and I could understand why

Mamiya C Series TLR Custom Light Seal Kit including C2 C22 C220 C3 C33 C330 Plus | eBayMamiya C Series TLR Custom Light Seal Kit including C2 C22 C220 C3 C33 C330 Plus | eBay

This is a shameless plug for a very good C33 restoration product. I bought three sets and installed them without any issues. Perfect and worth the money! All three of my backs (two 120 and the rare 220) now have nice fresh light seals.

Who out there CLA's the older C22 and C33 bodies? And the old silver lenses as well as the black? I prolly will need some donor parts

The good news is that both of my Mamy's are cleared to run a test B&W roll. Minor problems need to be worked out but I have two functioning cameras at this point. Happy-Happy.

I've been lusting after a C330 but the size and weight are holding me back. For those of you who have held a C220 and a Rolleiflex 2.8, how does the size and "feel" of those two models compare?

I have just sold C330 f - loved it, but Rolleiflex 3.5F is much lighter and more “intuitive”. Big bonus for C330 is the ability of close focus (thanks to bellows), I will miss it.

Back