Jonesing For a Mamiya C33

I've been lusting after a C330 but the size and weight are holding me back. For those of you who have held a C220 and a Rolleiflex 2.8, how does the size and "feel" of those two models compare?

I got all three models...the Rollei is a bit lighter in weight but the C330 is a joy to use and the greater bulk is not that noticeable..the C220 is a good compromise but the full features of cock and shoot make the C330 more of a convenient TLR...all TLR cameras shooting 120 film are not going to be tiny svelte cameras no matter what make.

I got all three models...the Rollei is a bit lighter in weight but the C330 is a joy to use and the greater bulk is not that noticeable..the C220 is a good compromise but the full features of cock and shoot make the C330 more of a convenient TLR...all TLR cameras shooting 120 film are not going to be tiny svelte cameras no matter what make.

The closest you can come to a tiny svelte 120 camera is a folder.

I'm pretty much in agreement...
I've had both as well. If I had to do it over, the heart would say Rollei, but common sense (not my strong point) would say Mamiya.
One more thing to consider: which could you afford to lose, financially and emotionally? I'm at the point where I hesitate to take out my Leicas; the inflation in prices has made a camera/lens combo worth far more than I paid for my first car. I won't take them into nasty environments, social or natural, and take a Pentax MX instead. Kind of sad, but there it is. Rollei is to Mamiya as Leica is to Pentax.
But in the end, they all can make great photos!

Unfortunately Rollei's have become fashionable, and its turned into a CLA-industry supporting (deservedly) a cadre of grey haired dudes across the globe. RIght now the Mamiya TLRs are probably the most underrated MF cameras available, and I wonder how long that will last. Optically I don't see my 105mm DS giving up much or anything to my long-gone 3.5f planar (that I paid $250 for in 1985). I'm still always on the hunt for clean Vb Rolleicords, something that I wouldn't mind banging-around on a shoulder strap, but the c330f has turned into my main 120 gun.

Obviously Rollei never made a 105mm lens version (focal length I prefer) that did closeups so easily. Comparing apples and oranges both good.

I've been lusting after a C330 but the size and weight are holding me back. For those of you who have held a C220 and a Rolleiflex 2.8, how does the size and "feel" of those two models compare?

The C220 is a bit heavier and may look a little larger than my Rolleiflex F2.8 .. but the C Mamiyas TLR cameras have the film roll straight on the film plane and no 90 deg turn as on the Rollei so the camera will be a bit larger looking and the bellows focusing system on the Mamiya is a bulkier set-up.

If one wanted or is fixated on extra light and and less bulky TLRs then the pre-war Rolleiflex and Rolleicords would be the way to go if one can make do with uncoated lenses and Tessars and Triotar triplet lenses, which by the have their own bare bones charm or just get a Yashica mat TLR like the on the Mat 124G, light weight, less bulky and the 4 element Yashinon lens is very good, the older Yashicamats might have a Cooke triplet Yashicor photo taking lens.

Some would recommend the Minolta Autocord TLR, excellent Rokkor lenses but prices on these is hovering on par with late made Rolleicords lately, no bargain. The Mamiya C330 or C220 TLRs besides being good cameras are also tough as an army tank and can take a lot of abuse...some people find this very appealing to the way they do photography.

I have used this kit for re-skinning my C2 and it is complete for all the skin you need - two top pieces, both sides, the back and 2 circles for the small knobs on the left side. It was much harder, for me, to remove the old skin than to apply the new one. The only extra purchase was some hand sanitizer - it is applied to the body so that one can move the skin around to its best position without the self-adhesive taking affect.

I always think of the C330 as a studio camera and the C2 as a walk around camera but their mass (and size) is not that different - here is the approximate mass of each with a 80 mm lens (black lens on the C330 and silver on the C2), strap and WLF inlcuded:

C330: 3 lbs, 13.5 oz (1744 g)
C2: 3 lbs, 7.5 oz (1573 g)

C33 220 Back Flocking Kit Installed by Nokton48, on Flickr

The C22/33 Foam Door Replacement set shown left (this back new in the original Box has a velvet light trap on the end will keep that). On the right is the completed 220 ready to go. Just make sure it is mounted squarely and that's about it. I used to shoot with 220 and 120 Agfa Optima 400 for color. Later I switched to Fuji 220 and 120 800 and 400 EI

In my deep freeze I have 220 HP5+ Plus-X Pro and Tri-X Pro. And I am considering buying a brick of Shanghai 220. Nik N Trik sells it online and they a cool little shop.

The second C33 arrived from Adorama Ebay today, it looks almost new and really good. Frame spacing looks good on this one too, and so we will see. Once again I prefer number 8 LOL
smile.png
Igor Reznik called me up today and we had a nice long chat, I ended up buying a clean Mamiyaflex C2 with Nippon Porrofinder for $50 including shipping. The Mamiyaflex C2 was always my fave stealth TLR camera, Igor says the leather is peeling (isn't it always!) so a Hugostudios black replacement skin is also on order.

So two C33's, a C22 (getting a CLA), and a Mamiyaflex C2. Multiple bodies, not multiple backs.....

Where did you get the C22/C33 door seal replacement kit? And the replacement skin for the C2? I saw the eBay link but do they deal directly with the public? Thanks so much.

Mamiyaflex Hartblei Magnifier Hack 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My new to me Mamiyaflex C2 with 135mm Blue Dot lens. Atop the camera is a Hartblei modified Kiev 88 Magnifying Hood. I had a Kiev88 that took Hasselblad Backs and this was the finder for it. Attached right now in a very sturdy way with Hollywood Gaffer Tape from Midwest Photo. Manfrotto SuperBall Head, FOBA Mini Tripod extended with FOBA Combitubes. Background by James Bright C171 Softbox and Silver Fill Looks like Baby Gowlandflex

This will be nice compliment to my 135 Hasselblad Bellows with 135mm f5.6 Planar-S T*

Mamiyaflex Hartblei Magnifier Hack 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My new to me Mamiyaflex C2 with 135mm Blue Dot lens. Atop the camera is a Hartblei modified Kiev 88 Magnifying Hood. I had a Kiev88 that took Hasselblad Backs and this was the finder for it. Attached right now in a very sturdy way with Hollywood Gaffer Tape from Midwest Photo. Manfrotto SuperBall Head, FOBA Mini Tripod extended with FOBA Combitubes. Background by James Bright C171 Softbox and Silver Fill Looks like Baby Gowlandflex

This will be nice compliment to my 135 Hasselblad Bellows with 135mm f5.6 Planar-S T*

Clean looking finder-mod. Sort of reminds me of the old Irving Penn Rolleiflex (with the 'blad chimney). I haven't tried the Mamiya non-metered chimney on my c330 and I wonder if its worth the money (seem to be hovering around $100)?

Clean looking finder-mod. Sort of reminds me of the old Irving Penn Rolleiflex (with the 'blad chimney). I haven't tried the Mamiya non-metered chimney on my c330 and I wonder if its worth the money (seem to be hovering around $100)?

Thanks mundt.m

I wear eyeglasses, and I without question prefer the 3X/6X Magnifying Hood. $90 is what I most recently paid, I have two units and need one more (my C22 is getting a CLA at the local spa). I can see the entire field, the 6X magnifier really helps, and it weighs almost nothing so I'd say go for it. Once decades ago I hung around inside a freezing cold storage locker, a local auction was going on and I got a 3X/6X Magnfier for $30. This time around I remembered my misery and paid the $90.

Pair of fully working C33 Mamys by Nokton48, on Flickr

Now I have a pair of C33 Mamiyas. The idea here is to preload the cameras so they are easy and quick to interchange. Both of these are fully tested to the point of shooting some Ilford Pan F through each. Before I changed to Hasselblad the idea was multiple bodies, not multiple backs.

Back