Jonesing For a Mamiya C33

My son got one of these a year or two ago, C22 I think. He's been using it to take pictures of humming birds, and he's got some pretty ones.

Minolta Autocord Low Tripod by Nokton48, on Flickr

MFM,

I made this one and it works OK. I believe Penn had a metal auto brake drum as a base, then had welded a bolt onto it. Then he threaded the good Leitz Tiltall Head onto the brake drum. Talk about SOLID. Must have weighed a TON

Also MFM,
I also ordered 20 rolls of 120 Kentmere from B&H to try, running out of 120 HP5+.
I think you got me confused with Irving Penn..I used a disc brake rotor to make my floor pod. Penn used a 8" steel disc with holes drilled in it for 3 bolts to level it. As I'm even cheaper than Calzone, I used the disc brake rotor because it was free. A brake drum is at least 20+ pounds !

My son got one of these a year or two ago, C22 I think. He's been using it to take pictures of humming birds, and he's got some pretty ones.
Not the first camera I'd think of to photograph those speedy little critters, but good for him! I imagine he must be using one of the prism finders?

C22 55mm Mamiya 120 Delta 100 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Well I do like Delta 100 in D23, so I'll need to order some more from B&H. Did just order twenty rolls of Kentmere 400 120 from B&H, running low on 120 HP5+. Thanks MFM! for the tip about Kentmere 400 120. Looking forward to giving it a good go.

Not the first camera I'd think of to photograph those speedy little critters, but good for him! I imagine he must be using one of the prism finders?
I think he doesn't use a finder at all. He sets up the camera and fires the shutter when the bird is in front of the lens.

Minoltaflex XX SRT Flash YG by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the Minolta SRT Electroflash 1, hooked up to a Minolta Autocord. The Stovepipe is Hasselblad and works perfectly. It's FUN to use, I've been popping off shots, on Eastman XX 5222 120 film. Really enjoying using it, it carries easily and works without fuss. Good for incognito photography.

MFM,
Ready to start shooting my twenty rolls of Kentmere 400. Hopefully it will stand up to HP5+ when shooting 120 roll.

This is the Minolta SRT Electroflash 1, hooked up to a Minolta Autocord. The Stovepipe is Hasselblad and works perfectly. It's FUN to use, I've been popping off shots, on Eastman XX 5222 120 film. Really enjoying using it, it carries easily and works without fuss. Good for incognito photography.

MFM,
Ready to start shooting my twenty rolls of Kentmere 400. Hopefully it will stand up to HP5+ when shooting 120 roll.
I never thought of using my Hasselblad stove pipe on my Autocord! thanks

Dan Daniels sold me an extra Autocord Focusing Hood, which I cannibilzed, I stored away the original hood That allowed me to attach the Hassy Stovepipe, I used stretchy 3M Teflon Tape to neatly and fairly permanently attach it. Recommended. I might have trimmed a bit on one side for better fit. Dan knows all about how to do it.

The Rubber Ring I cut from material I obtained from the Rollei Factory in Germany. It was made for the Anniversary Model Rollei SL66, a friend brought me several large sheets of it. Great for protecting your eyeglasses.

My Minolta Electroflash I cost me ten Bucks. I bought two of them, put some good batteries in, it screams to life. Fits good on the Autocord. Everybody who owns a Minolta SRT should buy an Electroflash I to use on it.

Last edited:

MFM,
Very nice setup, but hardly what I would choose to shoot incognito! I like using my big old Mamiya TLRs (and Big Bertha Bronica S2A, and monster Horseman 985, etc.) when I want to be seen. The choice of using a big, weird camera is integral to my shooting style when interacting with strangers. Generally, the more funky, old, and chrome-covered a camera, the more people relax and understand that I'm working at making an image of them. It seems to foster an understanding of mutual respect.

It's quite a bit smaller than my Mamyflexes, by a lot. Quick to operate too. When I go really Beeg and Weird it's my SLR 4x5 Plaubel Makiflexes. People do want to start up a conversation when I'm being more deliberate, and the Rokkor Autocord lens definitely draws a lovely view. I went down the Bronica rabbit hole, liked the Nikkor lenses. Shutter makes quite a racket. Makiflex has patented shutter braking system so none of the "Graflex Shudders". Might look like a toaster to you, but it cut the Mustard in the Commercial World for decades. And obscure and interesting to collect.

9x9cm on 9x12cm or 4x5 is my go-to. Did you know Rollei made a 9x9cm Twin Lens?

9x9cm on 9x12cm or 4x5 is my go-to. Did you know Rollei made a 9x9cm Twin Lens?
I did not, and just Googled it. Seems they never made it past prototype stage, and those are stashed away in German museums. I couldn't find a picture, either. So, is it possible to have GAS for something that never went into production? Because, sight unseen, I want one! :D

I did not, and just Googled it. Seems they never made it past prototype stage, and those are stashed away in German museums. I couldn't find a picture, either. So, is it possible to have GAS for something that never went into production? Because, sight unseen, I want one! :D
Good luck finding 9cm roll film (and putting 6cm in upside down does not work, and no, I did not try it)! If a 6 were a 9!

I use 9x12cm Metal Plates (glass negs or regular Planfilm with an insert) in my Makiflexes, so I'll wager Rollei's 9x9cm TLR uses 9x12cm Plates.

Makiflex JLane 9x12 Glass Plate EI 1 Key Day by Nokton48, on Flickr

Jason Lane Dry Plate 9x12cm Makiflex Plate Adapter Makiflex Automatic Key Day Full Sun. Legacy Mic-X tray developed under safelight. I'm in the process of setting up a film digitizing setup Minolta SRT Copy Stand Minolta Bellows Minolta 100mm F4 MC Bellows Rokkor at F13.5. Sony Nex 7 with SRT Adapter.

Makiflex 4x5 Shanghai Octobox 150 F16 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

9x9cm image 9x12cm film Plaubel Makiflex F16. Shanghai 100 film with YG filter D23 1:1 Unidrum Uniroller Omega DII laser aligned 150mm black Rodagon at F16 Arista RC #2 8x10 Dektol 1:2 Testing the new to me Broncolor Octobox 150, beautiful light like movable window lighting. Supplemental Octobox 150 Diffuser added. Notice the attractive catchlight in the glass vase.

C22 No 2 135mm New Leitz Tiltall Hacked Leitz Ball Head by Nokton48, on Flickr

Mamiya C22 Body #2 with 135mm Blue Dot Yellow Filters Paramender. Mounted on new to me Leitz Tiltall heavily modified. Regular column replaced with modern black one with Leitz Ball Head neatly permanently attached. This new Ball Head (same as on my Leitz Tabletop Tripod) works great on the original Tiltall and a Japanese Quick Mount, which also works great with the Paramender. This weighs little enough that I can carry it around with one hand without straining. And it is rock solid Leica Quality. Broncolor Octobox 150 left, 4x6 foamcore right. Sony Nex-7 with Zeiss Touit Makro Planar 2.8/50. Painted background by David Maheu "Tiim Kelly Gold Plaster".

C22 No 2 135mm New Leitz Tiltall Hacked Leitz Ball Head by Nokton48, on Flickr

Mamiya C22 Body #2 with 135mm Blue Dot Yellow Filters Paramender. Mounted on new to me Leitz Tiltall heavily modified. Regular column replaced with modern black one with Leitz Ball Head neatly permanently attached. This new Ball Head (same as on my Leitz Tabletop Tripod) works great on the original Tiltall and a Japanese Quick Mount, which also works great with the Paramender. This weighs little enough that I can carry it around with one hand without straining. And it is rock solid Leica Quality. Broncolor Octobox 150 left, 4x6 foamcore right. Sony Nex-7 with Zeiss Touit Makro Planar 2.8/50. Painted background by David Maheu "Tiim Kelly Gold Plaster".
A lovely portrait! ;)

Mamyflex 180mm Hartblei Stovepipe Paramender StarD by Nokton48, on Flickr

My knock around camera very stealthy. Mamiyaflex C2 with 180mm lens, original Mamiya Hood, Hartblei K88 Stovpipe and Paramender. Mounted on StarD tripod very lightweight but sturdy. A Workin' Man's Camera LOL
grinning face with smiling eyes
The front of the 180 was schmushed, so cut strips of Hollywood Gaffer Tape and taped the filters on, good as new to me. The screws in the Paramender were stripped out, so I glued them back in place with JBWELD. Also good as new, like the patina. Set was lit by my new to me Visatec 1600B Monolight with an Impact 600J Beauty Light attached. Marty Rickard Mirror Unit on left side reflecting a selective bit of fill. Backgrouund by Artist James Bright

I had one of these in the early '90's, although not nearly as tricked out. ;) It may have been my first MF camera. Totally a jump up in image quality from my Nikon at the time. And built-in macro capability. No more Nikon extension tubes. My first experience with a calculator and ruler for calculating extra exposure. It was this camera that taught me that film size, in general, trumps brand name on lenses. IMHO, of course.

Back