Jonesing For a Mamiya C33

I think you'll like Delta 100. High D-max, rich tonality, a bit high in contrast. Old school look, like the Agfa films in the past. The C33 is a beauty; I'm enjoying my C3 and C22 more and more. Let's keep them our little secret!

I like the 220 Shanghai, I have dug out six Hasselblad A24 film magazines, and loaded 'em up with Shang. Feels good to me. Ordered another 20 rolls of the Shanghai 220 to keep 'em well fed. Also latest development LOL bought another MINT C22 body for a hundred bucks. Worth every penny. So that's two C33's, and two C22's, basically a backup for each. I'm actively looking for a 55mm black lens (clean) and bought the correct lens hood for the 55 it's also coming.

For certain shoots I prefer the Mamys for a lot of reasons. Other times it's Blad all the way. Cool to have a choice :)

C22 Jonesing new kit by Nokton48, on Flickr

My second new to me Mamiya C22. Adding the stovepipe viewfinder and a 220 back. It meters 220 film smoothly so it's a keeper. Still it will go to Mac at Camtronics for spa. Also have a 55mm f4.5 Black lens and the correct 55mm Mamiya Shade on the way. So it's two C22's, and two C33's., and my Mamiyaflex. Good to have working backups. Quicker to grab second camera preloaded, then reloading roll after roll. Also I use a lot of film types so interchangeable bodies, not interchangeable backs.

C22 Jonesing new kit by Nokton48, on Flickr

My second new to me Mamiya C22. Adding the stovepipe viewfinder and a 220 back. It meters 220 film smoothly so it's a keeper. Still it will go to Mac at Camtronics for spa. Also have a 55mm f4.5 Black lens and the correct 55mm Mamiya Shade on the way. So it's two C22's, and two C33's., and my Mamiyaflex. Good to have working backups. Quicker to grab second camera preloaded, then reloading roll after roll. Also I use a lot of film types so interchangeable bodies, not interchangeable backs.

You'll find the 55mm to be a killer lens, but not easy to focus on the older bodies, particularly. F/4.5 can be pretty dim, and wides are tougher to focus anyway. The stovepipe finder will be a big help!
It took me some searching to find a 55 without haze; many reviews state that both the 55 and 65 commonly suffer from this problem, and most that I saw for sale bore this out. I hope yours turns out to be pristine

great cameras, I aways though I could defend myself with a Mamiya tlr, a hefty weapon to swing around

great cameras, I aways though I could defend myself with a Mamiya tlr, a hefty weapon to swing around

Maybe you could. Or maybe you'd throw your back out in the process of swinging it.
Don't get me wrong, I love mine in part because they're such beasts! There's a certain tactile and aesthetic pleasure for me in all that heavy metal. Makes me pity the fools with those little Barnack Leicas...

C22 55mm Mamiya 120 Delta 100 by Nokton48, on Flickr

New C22 checked AOK by Camtronics, also new 55mm f4.5 Mamiya cost a lot but truly mint and also fully checked and cleared for use. Glass has no haze big problem with most of these. Also went next door World of Photography has closed dated Delta 100 for $1.50 below B&H so I bought all they had. So Happy Happy. Recommend Camtronics and World of Photography. Good Businesses. Bokeh background downloaded from Tim Layton and printed at Costco

Yee-haw, you are ready to rock and roll! Best film in the world, in the world's best TLR (Sorry, Rollei folks. It's true).

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

C22 with 55mm, C22 with 80mm, C33 with 105DS, and C33 with 135mm Bluedot. Just got a fourth Stovepipe Finder, all these cameras have 220 Backs on them. Dual Hoya Med Yellow Filters on each lens. Been shooting 220 Shanghai have a lot of new negs to print. Results very good and consistent. I have Hasselblads but these are just great for some things.

Also been shooting a wide variety of 120 B&W, it is great I can alternate 220 and 120. The C33 was the first C to have built in parallax in the viewfinder. And the C22 is like a modernized Mamiyaflex that takes 220, but no parallax pointer in the viewfinder

My Stash of 220 Film by Nokton48, on Flickr

In the center back, twenty rolls fresh Shanghai 220, to go with what I already have in stock and loaded. On the back left, forty rolls of bought fresh 220 TXP, when B&H was closing it out. Always deep frozen. In the front, eleven rolls of 220 PXP bought wherever I could find it. Usuable but questionable. And in the center, five rolls of 220 HP5+ bought fresh and frozen. Wish I had more HP5+ in 220, I used it for B&W wedding or two. And finally lower right, a propack of 220 Konica 160. I'll use this for frame spacing tests. Thanks to Mr Fujicaman for sending me the 220 Konica! :)

The Hasselblad Stovepipe works great on the Mamiya C33. Some strips of Hollywood Gaffertape with hold it on securely. The Zeiss glass ocular makes the screen uber sharp, totally adjustable whether you need glasses, or not. Looks cool too.
The eyepiece needs some rubber sheet cut out and glued to it, if you wear eyeglasses. View is HIGH EYEPOINT with a nice black border around the viewing frame.

The Hasselblad Police will be looking for you for this affront to the noble Hasselblad name! But let's just have it be our little secret: The Mamiya TLRs are just as good as Hassies, just as well made, and make equally good images. Sure, they're very different, but that's the point; each has its strengths. I find myself reaching for my Mamiya at least as often as I do for the Hassy.

question for the Mamiya faithful: i have an early C with the 105mm lens. One day, and a very stupid day it was, i removed front elements from the viewing and taking lenses, and i did not keep track of which was which. Are the two front elements identical (in which case it was merely stupid, not completely idiotic) or is one for taking and one for viewing (i.e., Heidosmat)?

Minolta Autocord Low Tripod by Nokton48, on Flickr

MFM,

I made this one and it works OK. I believe Penn had a metal auto brake drum as a base, then had welded a bolt onto it. Then he threaded the good Leitz Tiltall Head onto the brake drum. Talk about SOLID. Must have weighed a TON

Also MFM,
I also ordered 20 rolls of 120 Kentmere from B&H to try, running out of 120 HP5+.

Last edited:
question for the Mamiya faithful: i have an early C with the 105mm lens. One day, and a very stupid day it was, i removed front elements from the viewing and taking lenses, and i did not keep track of which was which. Are the two front elements identical (in which case it was merely stupid, not completely idiotic) or is one for taking and one for viewing (i.e., Heidosmat)?
I have read multiple places that the two are identical, so not to worry. And we've all done pretty stupid things with our equipment, or at least I have! But one suggestion: I've seen numerous Mamiya lenses where the previous owner made the effort to protect the taking lens with a skylight filter, but left the viewing lens unprotected to suffer the hazards of rough professional use. If one of your front elements is showing signs of hard use, switch that one to the taking lens where it won't affect image quality.

Back