Konica Auto S3 Production Quantity

4616136-md.jpg

The count so far

The count so far

I currently have a total of ten documented records including C35 FD variants: 3 from this forum, 3 from ebay listings, and 4 from my camera and friends cameras. Hopefully I can get more responses from folks on this forum to flesh out the data set.
I currently have a range from Serial number 172636 in January 1973 to Serial number 312296 in July 1977 (a span of 139,660 units).
It's been listed that Auto S3 production spanned from 1973 through 1980, but so far the latest documented production is from 1977.

Last edited:
Serial number: 325261
Sakura Label: 7C

Best regards
RoyM

Roy,
So far you have the newest documented Auto S3, produced Jan 31 - Feb 12 in 1977. With your camera I now show a documented range of 152,625 units. Interesting that nobody has reported a camera built after 1977. If production actually did span until 1980 as reported, you would expect that the newest cameras would be well represented among the survivors. Eight of the twelve now documented were produced between '73 to '75.

Current status

Current status

I currently have a total of 18 documented records: 6 from RFF, 5 from Flickr (with thanks to Alistair), 4 from ebay listings, and 3 from personal friends.

Lowest serial number reported is 137330 (ebay listing), and the highest is 325261 (wakarimasen)

With indications from these 18 records, the production range is up to 187,931.

I'm hoping we can get additional responses as members finish the rolls in their cameras.

Hello!

Mine has SN. 323549 and sticker is 7K.

Its a great idea, i'm very surprised so few where made...
Canon made many more of their QL17, and still prices are in the same range.

Hello!

Mine has SN. 323549 and sticker is 7K.

Thanks for your response. Your camera was produced in 1977, May 17 - May 28.

A total of 21 verified records so far, and while this is a statistically insignificant sample, the pattern is interesting. Production range reported (187,931 so far) spans from January of 1973 through July of 1977. Looking at it by production year:
  • 1973 = 5 records, 53,685 range
  • 1974 = 2 records, 8,498 range
  • 1975 = 5 records, 71,678 range
  • 1976 = 3 records, 27,134 range
  • 1977 = 6 records, 26,936 range
Reports were that Auto S3 production ran from 1973 - 1980: if this was correct I would expect to have seen some cameras produced later than July of 1977 as you would expect the newest ones would be the most likely to have survived.

Hopefully we will have additional reports from forum members that will help fill out the picture more completely.

Last edited:
Mike, your camera is later production (probably mid-1977). Can you see the number and letter stamped on the Sakura silver foil label inside the film compartment on the rear door?
I've finally got around to finishing the roll of film in the camera (which wasn't what I expected :eek: but that's a whole other story). The marking on the foil is 6A (as noted earlier, the serial no. is 302179). I hope that helps.

...Mike

I've finally got around to finishing the roll of film in the camera (which wasn't what I expected :eek: but that's a whole other story). The marking on the foil is 6A (as noted earlier, the serial no. is 302179). I hope that helps.

...Mike

Mike,
Thanks for your response and your camera is interesting. The 6A label indicates that the camera was manufactured Jan 1 - Jan 9 in 1976, however on the basis of the serial number the camera should have been made in mid-1977. One of two things: your camera either had the top cap replaced or the rear cover replaced from another camera. Are you the original owner where you could track the camera's service history, or did you acquire it used?

Mike,
Thanks for your response and your camera is interesting. The 6A label indicates that the camera was manufactured Jan 1 - Jan 9 in 1976, however on the basis of the serial number the camera should have been made in mid-1977. One of two things: your camera either had the top cap replaced or the rear cover replaced from another camera. Are you the original owner where you could track the camera's service history, or did you acquire it used?
Used, I'm afraid. I'm guessing it was the rear cover that was replaced as it doesn't quite fit correctly (a bit of a botch job, I think). I've replaced the light seals but I still need electricians tape around the rear door latch to keep out the last bits of stray light.

...Mike

Back