Konica IIIM journal

More from Seillans (Var), France last july. And the last one from Nice (Alpes-Maritimes).
My beloved Konica IIIM, some Agfa APX 100 and home-made 1+19 Ilford Ilfotec LC29.

* -
8264769903_118b1f5901_z.jpg

#53 & 54

8261371901_f7f4f866f2_z.jpg

8261599977_6746fe8d3a_z.jpg

;)

The Konica IIIA with Hexanon 48mm/2 has been my everyday camera during autumn.
I just discovered some very particular morning/evening lights on a roll of Kodak Tri-X I probably did last november.

8368831200_f6b3263172_z.jpg

#57 - Konica IIIA with Hexanon 48/2. Tri-X and LC29

8368998992_06b2d6d234_z.jpg

And soon there might be another Konica... ca... walker on this thread. So stay tuned.
;)

Oh, by the way : I was talking about the very thought after Konishiroku Pearl IV.
I received it a month ago and took it with me to Paris.
It has a 4 elements 3 groups Hexar 75/3.5 lens, which is a Tessar formula.
It produces very full of details 6x4.5cm images on 120 film.

Say Hello to KIIIM's big cousin.

#60 - Konishiroku Pearl IV. Tri-X and LC29

:cool:

This is the first time I've seen this thread, and your Konica journal knocks me out! The Pearl IV looks like a great addition to your Konica family! Thanks for posting all of these.

OK, this is my friend Loïc on his 35th birthday.
We went for a walk at the sunrise, him with M9-P and Avenon 21/2.8 (and ZM Planar), me with Pearl IV.
Finally there was no sun but we found some images to do, smoke lots of cigarettes so we enjoyed the walk and the talk anyway.
;)

8371333688_ffd4c97118_c.jpg

#61 - Pearl IV. TX & LC29

Here comes the KIIIM again. It was my main camera during a four days trip in Paris, last december.
Konica IIIM, Kodak Tri-X and Ilford Ilfotec LC29.

Montmartre :

8378648874_6433463d63_z.jpg

Institut du Monde Arabe :

All right, here is an update. Unfortunately...

I did not like the ergonomics of the Pearl IV.
It was a real pain to load a roll of film and without a strap, the camera should have fallen each time.
The viewfinder is not real size like in the IIIM and they can not trust the lines when framing.
Plus, the shutter speeds were inaccurate (although recently serviced) and the rangefinder was off at infinity.

So I went to the post office and sent it back.
Twenty minutes later, as I was planning to shoot some pictures on the sea shore with my KIIIM,
hoping I could forget the deception of the Pearl IV, the shutter of my KIIIM suddenly died.
First I just could not believe it. Then I felt so sad and I sat on a bench for a few minutes.

In the last few months, I sold my Leica M2 and my Rolleiflex just because I thought the KIIIM was the perfect one for me.
:(

Another update, and I am more optimistic this time.
I am waiting for another KIIIM I found on RFF.com and I think I will have my first one repaired, if possible.

During that period, I still have several rolls of film to develop and scan. I won't stop my KIIIM journal yet.

:)

#64 - KIIIM. TX & LC29

8427228340_6f84fddfb8_z.jpg

I received the second KIIIM today, in poor condition : RF patch off, oil on shutter blades
(there is a time lapse of half a second between the moment you click and the moment it reacts),
aperture ring very stiff, missing screw on the lens...

I am sure that it needs more attention than my first one before to go shooting.

I have to check the situation with the seller, who did not mention all of those defects.
:(

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with your Konica cameras. If i may suggest, the shutter in the KIII is very easy to remove and clean. You could have both cameras serviced and repaired or use one as a parts camera and rebuild the other. I built my KIII from two defective cameras taking the best parts to build one and I now have a complete parts camera to keep it going for a very long time.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with your Konica cameras. If i may suggest, the shutter in the KIII is very easy to remove and clean. You could have both cameras serviced and repaired or use one as a parts camera and rebuild the other. I built my KIII from two defective cameras taking the best parts to build one and I now have a complete parts camera to keep it going for a very long time.

I was thinking about something like that as a solution, indeed.
Thank you for your message.

Very much enjoying your Konica IIIM journal.
I recently picked up a IIIA with the 50mm 1.8 lens. Now I'm trying to find the proper Konihood.

Please keep posting. Wonderful work!

Joe

Hello followers... I am sure you wonder what is up with the KIIIM journal.
:D

So here is a little update : the repairman I thought capable of repairing my KIIIM said he won't even try.
In the mean time, I have bought another KIIIM but with sticky shutter blades.

I have decided to send this KIIIM to M.S. Optical in Japan, thanks to Dirk at Japan Exposures ; that was a month ago.
Today I received a KIIIM body for parts and I wish to repair my beloved KIIIM, by myself if needed.
I received back the lens too... converted to M mount !

It is called a "Super lens" on the technical note M.S. Optical joined to the package. I already knew it.
I tested it on an Olympus E-PL1 as I don't have a Leica M right now... but I'd like to see how the Hexanon performs on a M2/M3/M4 soon...

8568959091_cef59076d4_z.jpg

Technical note from M.S. Optical about conversion of the Hexanon from KIIIM to M mount

#68 - Hexanon 50/1.8 converted lens on Olympus E-PL1
f/2.8

#69 - Hexanon 50/1.8 converted lens on Olympus E-PL1
f/2

The converted Hexanon 50/1.8 in M mount

Post scriptum -
I am waiting for a KIIIA. I bought it in the classifieds from Dante Stella.
It will be my second one : I already have the 48/2 version, this one is the 50/1.8 export version.
I think this journal ain't over.

;)

I just received the KIIIA with Hexanon 50/1.8 today.
It looks gorgeous, the viewfinder is clear and the rangefinder patch is as good as the one in my KIIIM.
Speeds sound quite good too.

8577524394_d2f6ca1421.jpg

I'll try it very soon.
Gracie signore Dante Stella.
:D

Bump...
This is such a cool thread, Koni.
I'm wondering... can the meter on the IIIM be used for added grip, or does it just get in the way while holding it?

Back