Konica IIIM journal

Bump...
This is such a cool thread, Koni.
I'm wondering... can the meter on the IIIM be used for added grip, or does it just get in the way while holding it?

Hello Jack, thank you for your message.
I am afraid my english is quite poor, so I am not sure to understand your question.
The front part of the light meter is a sort of a small grip indeed, when you hold the camera.
Is it what you wanted to know ?
:eek:

Since I am here now, why not give you a little update ?
I had a Leica M3 last month and I was finally able to use the converted Konishiroku Hexanon 50/1.8 lens.
Here are two shots at f/5.6. Are you interested in wideObokeh ? I can post some later.
:D

#70 - Hexanon 50/1.8 modified from KIIIM to M mount. APX and Xtol

9733246589_5707d6f5af_z.jpg

#71 - same story

;)

I am not sure to understand your question.
The front part of the light meter is a sort of a small grip indeed, when you hold the camera.
Is it what you wanted to know ?

Yes, Thanks. I was attempting to convince myself to bid on a IIIM.

Problem is, I don't much like the appearance of the meter and wondered if it might be used to some added advantage over a IIIA or III.

Perhaps a better question is, how does it feel in the hand, ergonomically, compared to a IIIA? Does the meter get in the way at all?

I understand now... :)

I have loved using the KIIIM and always found the conception very good.
Concerning the ergonomics, most of the time the light meter is inoperative nowadays, so the design of the KIIIA may look better.
But, again, the front part of the light meter is a sort of a small grip, when you hold the camera.
It won't move like the self timer on the KIIIA sometimes do.

If you are hesitating between the two beauties, my bottom line would be : "buy them !" Both.
;)

I understand now... :)

I have loved using the KIIIM and always found the conception very good.
Concerning the ergonomics, most of the time the light meter is inoperative nowadays, so the design of the KIIIA may look better.
But, again, the front part of the light meter is a sort of a small grip, when you hold the camera.
It won't move like the self timer on the KIIIA sometimes do.

If you are hesitating between the two beauties, my bottom line would be : "buy them !" Both.
;)

Lol... Thanks. You answered well. It's good to know that the IIIM
offers a slightly better grip. The camera I was thinking about bidding on had a dead meter to begin with.

I really loved the III, even with it's small vf, and even though it was a dented up beater with a scratched front element, I'm sorry I sold it on. It had such a wonderful solid balanced feel to it, and the film stroke arm in the front was really a joy to use.

I've played with many (dozens) of fixed lens rangefinder camera's over the past few years, and so far the Konica III has remained my personal favorite.

It seems that late fifties camera design and construction had in many ways reached an apex of refinement unsurpassed to this day.

One advantage the IIIM has over the IIIA is that the IIIM doesn't have the EV-linked shutter speed and aperture dials, which are a pain to operate without practice.

One advantage the IIIM has over the IIIA is that the IIIM doesn't have the EV-linked shutter speed and aperture dials, which are a pain to operate without practice.

That is true, but honestly it is not a pain to me anymore.
On the 50/1.8 version I have bought from Dante Stella, the dials have been un-linked (my english is poor, sorry).
On the 48/2, they are still linked but I don't even think about it as a problem.
I have used the camera a lot already and to me now it is natural to use it as it is.

#72 - KIIIA with 48/2. PX and Xtol

Very much enjoying your Konica IIIM journal.
I recently picked up a IIIA with the 50mm 1.8 lens. Now I'm trying to find the proper Konihood.

Please keep posting. Wonderful work!

Joe

Thank you very much, Joe.
I've been using the KIIIA with the Hexanon 50/1.8 during the last few days.
I'm planning to take it on my trip to London next week.
More to come.
;)

I have been testing the focusing accuracy of my second KIIIA for a few days.
Asking myself about taking it with me for a trip, or not.
It seems it is not too bad. So, London : here I come with the KIIIA twins !

#73 - testing the KIIIA with 50/1.8 wide open. APX and Xtol

;)

L'Isle sur la Sorgue (Vaucluse, France), july'13 :

9805172246_1079e1cb1c_z.jpg

#74 - KIIIA with 48/2. Ilford PanF and Xtol

I miss the warm days.

;)

Great stuff here! So.... I just bought a IIIM and it will be here tomorrow.:eek:

One question, for now. Which lens hood do I need for the 50mm 1.8?

Is it this one? KONICA KONIHOOD 38MM CLAMP ON LENS HOOD

Thanks and can't wait for it to arrive.

Peace

Hello there,

I have been using the Konica SII for a year, and I brought it to Lisbon recently.
It has the same Konishiroku Hexanon 48/2 lens than the Konica IIIA, and I like this lens.

#77 - Konica SII with 48/2 - Agfa APX 100 and Fomadon R09

22607788626_c332c12970_z.jpg

#78 - same - APX and Xtol

This is a tribute to Peter Turnley, who has photographed Paris like anyone during the last 30 years.
And even if this one was taken is Lisbon, Portugal, I was thinking about Paris when I took it.

#80 - Konica SII 48/2 - APX and R09

The optical shutter is far more discreet than a double curtain on a famous german camera.
But I could have taken this one with a Konica Autoreflex T3 as well.

22765479604_b76a464ea5_z.jpg

#82 - same story

Good to see the Konicas up and running again. This thread inspired me to pick up a IIIa several years ago and I've enjoyed using it.

Joe

Good to see the Konicas up and running again. This thread inspired me to pick up a IIIa several years ago and I've enjoyed using it.

Joe

Good to know that, Joe. :)

Here are two more pictures from Lisbon.
It was late in the afternoon when I took this one in the streets of Alfama.
They did not notice I was approaching them because they were concentrated on the game.
They probably did not ear the shutter either.

23495042195_9f66969eb3_z.jpg

#83 - same

And I tried this one, despite the lack of light, in the subway.
The tiny dog was sitting on the man's shoulder and holding a bowl for the coins.

22886054774_d54977f9f2_z.jpg

#84 - same

Hello after all this time... :)

27368833973_a915aa43cb_z.jpg
-
29113491854_73a7f03a7a_z.jpg

#85 - Konica SII 48/2 - TX and Xtol, april in Nantes
#86 - Konica IIIA 48/2 - APX and R09, august in Provence

Back