Leica Instax Camera? Rumor

I think you are dead wrong on this. Friends call each other by first name. In academia and even in a professional environment here in the US, everyone is on first name basis, nobody would every say "Mr", "Dr" or "Professor", that's a last century mindset.

When I was working on my Masters Degree in Philosophy after I retired, I always addressed my professors as Professor [last name] even though they were much younger than I was. It is a sign of respect.

When I visit my physician for a checkup or am treated by my physicians in the hospital, I always address them as Dr. [last name], even though I have known them for years. It is a sign of respect.

I guess I just have a last century mindset.

So speak for yourself from your limited experience, and not for everyone here in the U.S.

Cuz look at the size of the print which essentially is the negative size.
It's much bigger than 35mm, so the lens and camera would have to be huge.

Yeah, i understand that - I'm willing to accept that - a land cameraish design would be perfect - even the non folding pack cameras were not that big and a F4.5/F5.6 large format lens isn't that big

the instax wide is pretty solid --- i like it --- just seems leica is
grasping at straws... not sure what they're going for here... seems
hipster, skinny jean wearing, bearded, vegan, Iced, Half Caff,
Ristretto, Venti, 4-Pump, Sugar Free, Cinnamon, Dolce Soy Skinny Latte
drinking,buddy holly glasses wearing, film is not dead crowd... well...
f*ck me... those are the same guys that have ruined modern photography

Having a bad day?

When I was working on my Masters Degree in Philosophy after I retired, I always addressed my professors as Professor [last name] even though they were much younger than I was. It is a sign of respect.

When I visit my physician for a checkup or am treated by my physicians in the hospital, I always address them as Dr. [last name], even though I have known them for years. It is a sign of respect.

Exactly.

Or: you might be [secretly] European :cool:

So speak for yourself from your limited experience, and not for everyone here in the U.S.

I find I do much better in court when I say " Your Honour, please allow me to explain" than "yo Brian, here's how it went down"

Exactly: it draws young people into the brand, potential future high-end customers. Brilliant move, if you ask me.

I don't see this being effective as a 'gateway drug' for young people. The 'kids' aren't paying a premium for this over the Fuji, and then deciding they are 'hooked' on the particular Leica goodness they've just experienced and need to spend tons more on the upper range.

Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this. For those who are Leica fanboys and apologists, this cheapens your brand, cache, and reduces the exclusivity. For those who are more brand agnostic, it just seems like another waste of resources.

What's next, a Leica LOMO?

I don't see this being effective as a 'gateway drug' for young people. The 'kids' aren't paying a premium for this over the Fuji, and then deciding they are 'hooked' on the particular Leica goodness they've just experienced and need to spend tons more on the upper range.

Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this. For those who are Leica fanboys and apologists, this cheapens your brand, cache, and reduces the exclusivity. For those who are more brand agnostic, it just seems like another waste of resources.

Well, Ford Fiesta certaintly dont cheapens a Ford Mustang. Every brand has a "Halo Product" as well as their "mainstream" products.

I don't see this being effective as a 'gateway drug' for young people. The 'kids' aren't paying a premium for this over the Fuji, and then deciding they are 'hooked' on the particular Leica goodness they've just experienced and need to spend tons more on the upper range ....

They are certainly paying it for Iphone :p

On the other hand, I refuse to address anyone who has a Ph.D. (and who is not also a physician) as Dr. [last name]. Anyone who has a Ph.D and wants to be called Dr. is an egomaniac. No sense encouraging them. Not that I don't respect their accomplishment.

Leica are trying different things rather than locking themselves inside an 'M' box. What's wrong with that?

Leica are trying different things rather than locking themselves inside an 'M' box. What's wrong with that?

Agree. Leica is struggling to survive on its current product portfolio, so they are trying different things. Huawei partnership is another example.

You rang?

image_zpseerg8kxf.jpeg

LomoLeica_zpskmnsywhp.jpg

Errrm, reading comprehension?!

Why are you so aggressive? And BTW, I'm European but live in the US, so I can see both sides.

All I wanted to say is that there's nothing wrong if Leica makes a plasticky cheap-ish camera (for Leica) intended for the young people, and addresses them on their web site in a more informal way. I think young people can relate to this.

But in any case, I respect that you are coming from a different point of view.

And BTW, I'm European but live in the US, so I can see both sides.

All I wanted to say is that there's nothing wrong if Leica makes a plasticky cheap-ish camera (for Leica) intended for the young people, and addresses them on their web site in a more informal way. I think young people can relate to this.

But in any case, I respect that you are coming from a different point of view.

A European living in the USA, believing that towards a (young) customer «first name basis» (or, more precisely: a second person singular address) is the right way? Well, perhaps you should spend some time with people having East Asian, particularly Korean, ancestry. They can and WILL explain you that the behaviour in question is uncouth.

I was shocked to see that the Sofort is a real instax camera. I'll just keep using my neo 90, as it seems the sofort is, even the lens is the same apperently.
I wonder if the film will be rebranded like how polaroid 300 is?.

Interesting move from Leica, trying to get a share in a different market which seems to be popular in certain area. If this brings more profit to the company why not !
Personally I'm much involved in shooting with Impossible films and I do not see the point to add another camera to my arsenal, but I learned never say never!
robert

Well, Ford Fiesta certaintly dont cheapens a Ford Mustang. Every brand has a "Halo Product" as well as their "mainstream" products.

But: the «Sofort» isn't comparable to a Fiesta; it's rather a tricycle.

(Additionally: LEICA isn't comparable to FORD at all, rather to PORSCHE, I'd suggest. … Ever seen a Porsche tricycle?)

I was shocked to see that the Sofort is a real instax camera. I'll just keep using my neo 90, as it seems the sofort is, even the lens is the same apperently.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same. I do think the Sofort looks great and better than Neo 90. I guess I'm really... a hipster.
I wonder if the film will be rebranded like how polaroid 300 is?.
I hope you don't expect Leica to come up with it's own instant film. Of course it's just a rebrand.

Back