Leica Instax Camera? Rumor

Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this. For those who are Leica fanboys and apologists, this cheapens your brand, cache, and reduces the exclusivity.

Yes, one possibility is that this devalues the brand and as a result pulls down the prices for the higher end cameras. As a Leica photographer, that sounds good to me...

Another possibility is that it really does stimulate interest in film photography, and that this in turn encourages the continued development of the film M-series. As a Leica photographer, that also that sounds good to me...

But most likely, this will just become irrelevant and disappear. People get in to Instax because the cameras are cheap and because they offer something different. I doubt that there is a vast potential market that is currently stymied by the lack of a red dot on the cameras.

At first I thought this news was a joke. But I see it's not. Frankly, I'm in favour of anything that boosts the popularity of instant film. Good luck to Leica with this experiment!

The announcement of Instax bw instant film is a welcome bonus.

Who would have thought that Leica would introduce an instant film camera in 2016?

Whether the Sofort is a success or not is mostly irrelevant. It's a novelty—a Leica camera for $300 AND an instant film camera at that. It's a way to expand brand awareness to people who would never have heard of Leica. There are a lot of them.

And maybe it even takes cool photographs—I haven't heard anyone complaining that the camera it's derived from, the Instax Mini 90, does a poor job.

I think it's pretty neat. Of course, I think almost anything that brings instant film back into the world is pretty neat. :)

G

Who would have thought that Leica would introduce an instant film camera in 2016?

Whether the Sofort is a success or not is mostly irrelevant. It's a novelty—a Leica camera for $300 AND an instant film camera at that. It's a way to expand brand awareness to people who would never have heard of Leica. There are a lot of them.

And maybe it even takes cool photographs—I haven't heard anyone complaining that the camera it's derived from, the Instax Mini 90, does a poor job.

I think it's pretty neat. Of course, I think almost anything that brings instant film back into the world is pretty neat. :)

G

I agree.
It is a clever reaction to the collapsing digital camera market (which is significantly affecting Leica, too, of course). The latest market data is again looking horrible:
http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201607_e.pdf

But the Instax system is continuously growing.
And Leica is adressing completely new and especially young customers for its brand, much better brand awareness.

Last Photokina (2014) Leica introduced its new film M model M-A.
So Leica is one of the first smart companies which are realizing that the future growth area will be film again.
I expect further film products from them in the coming years.

Cheers, Jan

Well, Ford Fiesta certaintly dont cheapens a Ford Mustang. Every brand has a "Halo Product" as well as their "mainstream" products.

Seriously? The Ford Mustang is already 'cheap.' Certainly not an up-market, luxury product. A better analogy would be if Ferrari or Bentley brought out a smart car.

Cuz look at the size of the print which essentially is the negative size.
It's much bigger than 35mm, so the lens and camera would have to be huge.

But then they could make it the large format Leica instant camera. :)

(Instax Wide)

Shawn

Yes, one possibility is that this devalues the brand and as a result pulls down the prices for the higher end cameras. As a Leica photographer, that sounds good to me...

Another possibility is that it really does stimulate interest in film photography, and that this in turn encourages the continued development of the film M-series. As a Leica photographer, that also that sounds good to me...

But most likely, this will just become irrelevant and disappear. People get in to Instax because the cameras are cheap and because they offer something different. I doubt that there is a vast potential market that is currently stymied by the lack of a red dot on the cameras.

I wish that were a practical possibility. We we know Leica. NOTHING will bring their prices down. That's not their biz model.

And there's nothing in the way that this instant camera looks, operates, or feels that is conducive to leading a progression or migration to the primary model range. There isn't even anything special enough about this product that would engender new brand loyalty. No super quality, no lenses that keep you in a system, no shared accessories. It's just another product. They might as well go whole hog and start putting their dots on Bluetooth speakers, fountain pens, sunglasses, and cologne.

I'll preface this by stating I'm a Fujifilm Instax Wide 210 user. That camera is only okay in good light and pretty much sucks with flash in low light, unless you want to call badly exposed flash prints 'art.'

Then we have Lomography and their two iterations of the Instax wide, with even poorer quality lens.

I don't know about the Mint TLR, but I suspect it too is marginal in optics and exposure control.

I don't think us Instax users are asking too much just to want an instant camera with decent optics and manual controls. Hell, I'd pay more than Leica's asking if it were of reasonable quality. It can even be plastic, I don't care. But it has to be designed for photographers, not soccer moms who'd prefer just to use their phones.

Yep, Leica missed an opportunity here.

I dunno, maybe the Instax wide format is too sloppy for high quality images. Maybe there's too much slop in the film cartridge register distance to get great focus - I've never seen a really sharp print from one, either one I've exposed or seen online. So maybe my wish is like lipstick on a pig.

~Joe

Seriously? The Ford Mustang is already 'cheap.' Certainly not an up-market, luxury product. A better analogy would be if Ferrari or Bentley brought out a smart car.
Well, Aston Martin brought out the Cygnet, which is a prettied up Toyota IQ at about triple the price.

1.jpg

Agree. Leica is struggling to survive on its current product portfolio, so they are trying different things. Huawei partnership is another example.
Nonsense.
They are well in the black, as opposed to many other camera makers.
Leica is trying to expand their market penetration, both at the top end and at the bottom.

Back