Leica M10 Monochrom picture leaked online

How's that any different from the regular M10?

Huss,

Good point. New to me a MM user. Never owned a color M-body.

What is interesting when comparing ISO range, the M10 has a max of 50K, and the M10M has a high ISO of only 25K.

Cal

Then there is a report of a lowered highest ISO. Not sure how this effects the sensor design or for what the sensor was optimized for.

It is supposedly a new sensor architecture, in common with the (very delayed) new S series body. So yes, it might well have a new, lower, base ISO.

Doing the sums on some of the (terrifying) hypothesised price points, and it looks to me that if the camera will last more than 3 to 4 years it will then work out cheaper than the B&W film that I am currently shooting. But I am not sure that I am ready to abandon film just yet - the M10 did not manage to change that and I am not sure that an M10M would be any different.

But then again, that screw is deeply hypnotic. And history suggests that all great artists need a big screw every now and then...

It is supposedly a new sensor architecture, in common with the (very delayed) new S series body. So yes, it might well have a new, lower, base ISO.

Doing the sums on some of the (terrifying) hypothesised price points, and it looks to me that if the camera will last more than 3 to 4 years it will then work out cheaper than the B&W film that I am currently shooting. But I am not sure that I am ready to abandon film just yet - the M10 did not manage to change that and I am not sure that an M10M would be any different.

But then again, that screw is deeply hypnotic. And history suggests that all great artists need a big screw every now and then...

Mark,

I still shoot film, but most of my shooting today is digital.

Seven years ago my MM cost $8K, I still own it, and it remains a good camera. With a new sensor (free) and the overhaul it received when the sensor was replaced (free), I expect easily another decade or more of use.

Some of the best money I ever spent, I learned a lot, and I became a better photographer.

Do what's good for you, but don't be afraid of the expense. Its part of the journey.

Cal

At the least for that 8K..they could make the "screw you bud" screw... whiz around like a banshee..every time you click the shutter button..and maybe..even light up in a blast of rainbow colors..

Do what's good for you, but don't be afraid of the expense. Its part of the journey.l

Part of the problem is the risk. It seems to be impossible to get viable insurance for expensive camera gear (Spain). Several times I have found myself shooting in riots where people were throwing acrylic paint, and in one case molotov cocktails. Recently I was shooting at night and witnessed a woman being mugged by three men. There was nothing that I could do - the men got away with her necklace, although fortunately she was otherwise physically unharmed. After that I have been very wary about shooting alone at night with expensive equipment.

But beyond that there is still something about shooting film that is not captured with digital. I do not know if it is the limitations of the cameras/medium, the process, or just my own internal biases. Perhaps digital just seems too easy or too ubiquitous. Or perhaps the limitations and quirks of Leica rangefinders only really make sense in the context of a film body where those limitations and quirks are inherent.

That said, I am in the market for a higher resolution digital body and have been considering jumping (digital) ship for a few months now. As I shoot almost entirely in B&W, maybe the M10M will be an alternative.

Screw that screw. What effect does it have on image quality or camera usability? I'd love to have that camera--and I'd use the hell out of it, even in crappy conditions where it might accumulate a bit of wear and dust.

I don't use cameras as a fondling substitute. I *shoot* with the damned things. Isn't that what they're for?

So buy one already.

Huss,

Good point. New to me a MM user. Never owned a color M-body.

What is interesting when comparing ISO range, the M10 has a max of 50K, and the M10M has a high ISO of only 25K.

Cal

Not surprising. More pixels, less photons, less low-light ability. Not sure why you would cap it, though, since 25k on an M246 still has comparable grain/noise to Tri-X.

D

Debugging? Dialing in? What exactly are you doing?

Lens cams have tolerances. Cameras have tolerances. Even the squareness of a lens' RF cam to the lens axis can cause focusing issues, since it interacts with the parallelism of the RF roller to the bottom of the camera.

Those issues don't get smaller as you up the pixel count and increase the lens speed.

Dante

Part of the problem is the risk. It seems to be impossible to get viable insurance for expensive camera gear (Spain). Several times I have found myself shooting in riots where people were throwing acrylic paint, and in one case molotov cocktails. Recently I was shooting at night and witnessed a woman being mugged by three men. There was nothing that I could do - the men got away with her necklace, although fortunately she was otherwise physically unharmed. After that I have been very wary about shooting alone at night with expensive equipment.

But beyond that there is still something about shooting film that is not captured with digital. I do not know if it is the limitations of the cameras/medium, the process, or just my own internal biases. Perhaps digital just seems too easy or too ubiquitous. Or perhaps the limitations and quirks of Leica rangefinders only really make sense in the context of a film body where those limitations and quirks are inherent.

That said, I am in the market for a higher resolution digital body and have been considering jumping (digital) ship for a few months now. As I shoot almost entirely in B&W, maybe the M10M will be an alternative.

Mark,

Recently I had a free luxury vacation in Europe: Amsterdam, Germany, France, and eventually Basel Switzerland. I was carrying a SL, a CL, 50 Lux-SL, and APO 35 Cron. Pretty much kept over $20K worth of cameras on my person.

In Strausbourg France I had some odd aggressor grab my right fore arm. As this man got loud and agitated, I stepped inbetween him and my gal to protect her, as other people scattered creating distance. This was during the day, and know that the previous night we were touring around and had no such incident.

I freed myself from his grip, made a fist to indicate where this was going, and it all ended as abruptly as it all began.

I too consider the risks and the targeting. This is also another reason why I still shoot film. While not inexpensive, loosing or destroying a camera due to violence I would rather damage or destroy a less costly rig.

Crap happens... Be safe.

Cal

Is this camera “$2295 better” than an SL2?
Is it $5500 better” than an SL?

(Still thinking this over)

Absolutely.

Of course I use a real monokwom kamwah - a Leica M-A with Silberra Orto 50.
But it still has a crooked screw so I'm ok (I got a replacement for the one I threw in the trash).

I think I'll stick with FP4+. I'll let you know when I get through the 1270ish rolls it would take to pay for this idiot identifier.

Back